• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dessert sushi

LCS

I've seen dessert sushi done with chocolate fondant, chocolate plastique, fruit leather, and on Just Fab's site, they use colored soy wrappers. What ARE those? I did several searches and couldn't find them.

What else can be used? I wanted to try fruit leathers, but I've read they turn gooey if not eaten right away. I thought about spring roll wrappers (which is what the soy wrappers look like), but the color (or lack thereof) is pretty boring.

Also, what is the normal filling? I've seen recipes that are regular rice recipes using coconut milk instead of water with some sugar added, but most often when I see in photos look more like a thick rice pudding.

I found something about the soy wrappers here....

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:0a8pKA...k&cd=1&ie=UTF-8

and better...here

http://00479b9.netsolhost.com/fh.htm

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

The colored soy wrappers are mamenori .... you may be able to find them locally through an oriental foods distributor. I had more trouble getting the right texture with the sweet sushi rice, though! I used coconut milk and sugar, and then sprinkled with more coconut milk and sweet rice wine after it was ready.

I made these for a charity event a few years ago; the key is to wrap them tightly, use a sharp knife to cut the pieces - the mamenori is about 6 inches in width if I remember correctly. The wet fruits will tear through the wrapper if they get too wet. I made the rolls the day before, and cut them the day of. You definitely want to glaze them (be careful when applying the glaze, otherwise it makes a mess of the wrapper) and use the black sesame seeds! I plated them with choc quills for chopsticks and lime curd for the wasabi.

I've tried to use hand-made mochi dough, but after two tries, I realized my arms might fall off before I am able to roll it thin enough.

So I ended up using spring roll paper to wrap my desset sushi. I realize that it's white, but you can always add vibrancy by the filling you choose for your rolls.

I am still working on the mochi thing. If I ever get it right, I will let you know :)

I've tried fruit sushi which uses very thin cucumber slices as wrappers. It was very good and refreshing! I ate probably almost a dozen, aside from all the other items in the buffet table of course.

I am in the process of fulfilling a dream, one that involves a huge stainless kitchen, heavenly desserts and lots of happy sweet-toothed people.

I've tried fruit sushi which uses very thin cucumber slices as wrappers. It was very good and refreshing! I ate probably almost a dozen, aside from all the other items in the buffet table of course.

If you want to go with something besides cucumber, you can spread fruit puree very thin on a silpat and bake at low temps until its pliable, then cut.

• 1 year later...

as Sethro mentioned dried fruit purees work really well I have done this ..filled them with sweetened flavored sticky rice and little strips of different fruit leathers inside or chunks of chewable jelly candies soft caramel ..ect ..even nuts ...I did chocolate inside as well just cut it the size of a thin long French fry

you can also fill them with a cream cheese or ganache filling ..the leather makes a great thin wrapper in various colors (including green ..I used green apples to make it and then added coloring)

they are so easy to roll and cut

fun project but have no idea about molding chocolate so I guess I skirted the issue a bit here

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

The soy sheets can be ordered HERE. You can probably find it cheaper, this just happened to be a place I already knew had it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.