• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Bread Bible" by Rose Levy Beranbaum

dtilston

I love this book! I've made the recipe for Basic Hearth Bread many times before but now I want to do the "ultimate full flavor variation." I've already let the sponge ferment in the fridge for 24 hours but she says for even more flavor, "refrigerate the finished dough overnight; take it out 1 hour before shaping it."

So...does that mean that I mix the dough, let it rise, then refrigerate it overnight, take it out, shape it and let it rise again?

I appreciate any advice anyone has :biggrin:

I think it means you do the rise in the refrigerator. If you let it rise and then put the dough in the fridge, it will keep rising for a while and bad things will happen.

edited to add: I also like this recipe alot. When I'm making bread during the week I make it over several days, letting the dough rise overnight in the fridge until the next evening.

Edited by Mallet (log)

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

I have not used the book, but often do a refrigerator rise....I do the first rise in a standard warm place...then punch down the dough, cover tightly and refrigerate until ready to go..

It still rises very slowly, but adds lots of flavor.

I take it out, bring to room temperature, shape, rise and bake...

I love this book!  I've made the recipe for Basic Hearth Bread many times before but now I want to do the "ultimate full flavor variation."  I've already let the sponge ferment in the fridge for 24 hours but she says for even more flavor, "refrigerate the finished dough overnight; take it out 1 hour before shaping it."

So...does that mean that I mix the dough, let it rise, then refrigerate it overnight, take it out, shape it and let it rise again? 

I appreciate any advice anyone has :biggrin:

Yes, that is the normal sequence. You can also put it directly in the fridge and leave it over night. Shape while cold and let proof. The internal temperature should be around 62*F before you bake it.

Funny, that was my first bread book, but I believe it actually slowed my progress in bread making significantly. Very confusing in explaining principles.

I wish I bought Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice or Jeffrey Hamelman's Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes instead. Would save me a year or so...

Edited by doronin (log)

• 12 years later...