• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rosemary flowers

Rehovot

The garden where we live has a vast groundcover of rosemary bushes that I prune for free rosemary every week. :biggrin: I know what to do with the leaves, but what about the tiny blue flowers that are currently blooming on the bushes?

Anyone know what to do with these? Any suggestions?

It was well known to the Tudors as a stimulant to the system. In ‘The Garden of Health’ (1579) William Langham writes:

“Carry the flowers about thee to make thee merry and glad and well beloved of all men...hang the flowers on thy bed and place Rosemary in the bath to make thee lusty, lively, joyful, strong and young. To comfort the heart steep Rosemary flowers in rose water and drink it”. 

Gerard agrees in his 1636 Herbal:

“The flowers of Rosemary, made up into lozenges with sugar and eaten make the heart merry, quicken the spirits and make them more lively”.
He also notes that Rosemary water acts as a breath freshener.

Better than a TicTac :hmmm: ...

make thee lusty, lively, joyful ...hmmm... :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

The flowers are very nice tossed with buttered steamed little potatoes.

Pasta dressed with oil in which chopped garlic has been gently carmelized is also lovely with rosemary flowers. They do not need to be cooked.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The flowers are very nice tossed with  buttered steamed little potatoes.

Pasta dressed with oil in which chopped garlic has been gently carmelized is also lovely with rosemary flowers.  They do not need to be cooked.

mmmmmmm.....

Thanks for the ideas.