• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the best jarred lemon curd?

greenwich st

Tonight I feel like trying Sherry Yard's lemon curd souffles -- ridiculously easy if you already have curd ready.  I've never made it, and don't have time to try in time for school night bedtime. Is is a silly idea to go ready-made?  And any preferences?

A friend gave us a jar of Wilkin & Sons LTD---very good if time is short--I don't know where she got it, but I suspect World Market or Sur le Tables

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

I'd second that...and also try lime curd, or lemon-lime curd... I also made one with grapefruit that was pretty nice.

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

I've always loved the Tiptree/Wilkin & Sons brand. Unfortunately, in my area of Canada it became increasingly difficult to find (Robertson's seemed to take over the market, but was not as good, I thought). Fortunately, I'm currently living in Japan where it's often the only brand I can find. Now if only I can bring myself to pay $6-8 for it...

Well, I went to the store, found a jar of Wilkins, and then suddenly decided to make it myself. (I think the promise of licking the bowl was what did it...and the vision of making something so yellow and satiny.) I think I'll go buy the Wilkins jar tomorrow, just to compare them. Thanks, all!

Trader Joe's has a very nice private label lemon curd out these days. I generally prefer to make my own, but if I don't have the time, I reach for the TJ's. It is not as sweet as the Robertson's and some of the other brands out there, which I find preferable.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA