• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PIZZA CLUB 2006

MarketStEl

Since I was AWOL from the Pizza Club on most of its 2005 outings, I'd like to start off with a suggestion for 2006:

The "Best of Philly Review Tour."

This idea came to me while strolling down Chestnut Street towards the CityPaper offices. Specifically, it hit me as I passed Apollo, whose three Philadelphia magazine "Best of Philly" honors for pizza (1991, 1992 and 1998, IIRC) were proudly displayed by the front door.

It occurred to me at that point that PhillyMag has probably bestowed these coveted honors on scads of pizzerias and restaurants serving pizza over the decades. It also occurred to me that some of these past laurels may no longer be deserved due to changes in management, personnel or recipes. It further occurred to me that some of these past laurels may not even have been deserved when they were bestowed--but as with Pat's for cheesesteaks, it would have gotten boring for the Philadelphia editors to give the pizza prize to Tacconelli's year after year after year after year after...

So who better to pass judgement on the validity of all those dusty and still-gleaming "Best of Philly" pizza prizes than the seasoned palates of the Pizza Club?

I'll start this off, if anyone's game, with a visit to two award-winners in Center City: the aforementioned Apollo and NYPD Pizza (2005 "Best of Philly" winner for Philadelphia County; that year, pizza was one of the categories in which multiple awards--one for each of the five Southeastern Pennsylvania counties--were handed out).

Date: The Saturday after I get my first paycheck from Widener. Watch this space for more details. It cannot be any later than March 4.

Comments: Now being entertained.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Date:  The Saturday after I get my first paycheck from Widener.  Watch this space for more details.  It cannot be any later than March 4.

Comments:  Now being entertained.

I think I get it, Sandy; you don't know when you're getting that first paycheck.

Planning the party is great, but the invitation might be premature...

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Okay, it's no longer premature.

March 4 it is.

I just got the official letter offering me the job in the mail, and just like Penn and Drexel do, Widener pays its professional and administrative staff once a month. :sad:

(Well, maybe not so sad. The resume-writing gig can serve as an income supplement, and it pays me every other week.)

So: Who's game for a visit to Apollo and NYPD?

And: Anyone want to research other past winners to revisit?

Okay, it's no longer premature.

March 4 it is.

I just got the official letter offering me the job in the mail, and just like Penn and Drexel do, Widener pays its professional and administrative staff once a month.  :sad:

(Well, maybe not so sad.  The resume-writing gig can serve as an income supplement, and it pays me every other week.)

So: Who's game for a visit to Apollo and NYPD?

And: Anyone want to research other past winners to revisit?

Does this mean you're planning to miss the DDC Rodizio Run?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I really should look at the calendar before announcing dates, shouldn't I?

How about March 11, then? I should be getting paid for resume work that week.

I really should look at the calendar before announcing dates, shouldn't I?

How about March 11, then? I should be getting paid for resume work that week.

How about a little space between gorging events? I'm other wise occupied on 3/18 and 3/25 hosting my Beer Tours during The Book and The Cook.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

How about a little space between gorging events? I'm other wise occupied on 3/18 and 3/25 hosting my  Beer Tours during  The Book and The Cook.

For you? I'll gladly give your stomach time to recover.

That pushes this to -- April Fool's Day!

Maybe in honor of the occasion, we should add a Pizza Hut or Domino's to the mix as a ringer.

• 1 month later...

Okay, folks, I'm ready to nail down a calendar date if you all are.

Looking at how the money flows into and out of my wallet (the reason I couldn't join you all in Newark last Saturday :sad::angry: ), it looks like the date that would work best for me to start the "Best of Philly Review Tour" would be Saturday, April 8.

If nobody has a problem with that date (please reply to post if you do), I'd like to put this up on the eGullet Calendar for Pennsylvania. I'll wait a week or so before asking Holly or Katie to add it, though.

In the meantime: Wolfgram Memorial Library has Philadelphia on microfilm. I'll start researching other Best of Philly winners to put together some more tour stops. If any of you can recall past winners off the top of your head or from recent visits to same, maybe you could list them here and save me some research?

Okay, folks, I'm ready to nail down a calendar date if you all are.

Looking at how the money flows into and out of my wallet (the reason I couldn't join you all in Newark last Saturday  :sad:  :angry:  ), it looks like the date that would work best for me to start the "Best of Philly Review Tour" would be Saturday, April 8.

If nobody has a problem with that date (please reply to post if you do), I'd like to put this up on the eGullet Calendar for Pennsylvania.  I'll wait a week or so before asking Holly or Katie to add it, though.

In the meantime:  Wolfgram Memorial Library has Philadelphia on microfilm.  I'll start researching other Best of Philly winners to put together some more tour stops.  If any of you can recall past winners off the top of your head or from recent visits to same, maybe you could list them here and save me some research?

Sandy:

I know Tacconelli's has numerous Best of Philly's to their credit. Lorenzo's at 9th & Christian. Franco & Luigi's in South Philly.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

For me it would be better at a later date, such as April 22. April 8 is near major holidays and other pressing demands.

Not that I have been to a previous event but hope springs eternal that I may be able to make one.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

Since I just plunked down a chit for JeffL's excursion to Picanha on 4/9, 4/22 will work better for me as well.

I just started looking through the Best of Philly lists, beginning with the very first one in 1973. I'd like to suggest that we save the undisputed best--Tacconelli's--for last, unless Papa Tacconelli announces his retirement sometime in the next few months. Marra's should also IMO be a later item as an old-school favorite. I'll have a complete list up sometime next week, and what say we pick three candidates for starters from it?

I would like to eat through my first Pizza Club excursion and the 22nd is better for me.

We made a special trip to Tacconelli's years ago, so long that I barely remember. I have not been to any of the other potential choices.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

I'd love to try Taconelli's, and I think we're free that weekend. Count Mr. Duck and me down as a definite maybe.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

As of today, I've gotten the entire first decade of "Bests" (1974-83).

I will only say that in 1982--the first year the annual pick-and-pan-fest focused on the 'burbs, with a sidebar for diehard city-lovers--the experts obviously took leave of their senses, for that year's picks were:

Best Pan Pizza ('Burbs): Pizza Hut (Upper Darby and everywhere else)

Best Pizza (City): Pizzeria Uno (509 South 2d)

Marra's made it into the pantheon in this decade--twice, in 1978 and 1979--as did Bitar's ("Best Weird Pizza," 1979, for their yogurt-and-spice-on-pita-bread concoction). But Tacconelli's had yet to appear.

More when I tackle the next decade or two on lunch hour Monday.

I gain more and more appreciation for this board every day! Best pizza in philly thread? Now we are talking! I'm from Wilmington and have been here for about two years now. Sad to say it: I've only been to three pizza specific joints: Lombardi's, Tacconelli's, and the one next to DWR on Chestnut. But I'm always looking for the best pie, so this thread is spot on! I'd love the hear about scheduling updates so the wife and I can tag along, if possible. Sounds like a worthwhile series of events!

Hi All: i don't get here very often (Still trying to figure out how to navigate the EG Site.

Anyway, I sent a note to Katie last week about a new DVD documentary on Trenton (NJ) Tomato Pies! I got a copy this weeek and finally watched it. Since I understand the Pizza Club actually did get to DeLorenzos on Hudson St., I thought you might want to know about the DVD. and the web site.

First off, I'm a Trenton Native and lived there for first 1/2 of my 60 year old life. According to the film, there are only FIVE places near Trenton making Tomato Pies! How sad.

Anyway, the film's web site has a printable map of Tomato pie places. I've only been to the two Delorenzos (No loger go to Hudson St as the wait for a pie (not a seat) is usually hours! (The oven can only make so many!)

In case Katie did not post my info, here is the URL for the film.

http://pieeyedmovie.com/aboutmovie.html

Steve R

Okay, the research project is finished!

And I have the names of all 52 "Best of Philly" winners in the Pizza category or variations thereof from 1973 to 2005 that I do not know to have gone out of business.

(A moment of silence, please, for those that have: Apropos (1986, "yuppie pizza"), Gelateria Fratelli (1986, "hardcore yuppie pizza," and 1988, by the slice), Pizazz (1987, "yuppie pizza"), Mezzanotte (1989, "brave new pizza"), Boccie (1990, one of three editors' picks in the year they let the readers do all the choosing), and especially Lombardi's (1998, best pizza from a pizzeria).)

Now for the categorization.

In a class by itself, needless to say, is Tacconelli's, the only six-time Best of Philly winner in the bunch (1985, 1986 ["messy"], 1988, 1989 [for the white pie both of these years], 1993 [inducted into the first Best of Philly Hall of Fame] and 2002). I still say we should save it for last in our Best of... Tour. (Besides, as the only winner in Port Richmond, it's nowhere near any other Best of... winner--the next nearest ones are in Kensington and Frankford. It would probably make a good first or last stop on the Northeast Philly segment of the tour.)

Below that is what I'd call the pantheon--the greats that made it to the top at least three times:

• Marra's (five: 1978, 1979, 1985 [south Philly regional winner], 1990 and 1993 [south Philly hangout)

• Celebre's (four: 1983 [for the white pie], 1987, 1989 ["good old pie"] and 1995 [city champ])

• Lamberti's Cucina (three: 1989, 1990 [vegetarian category both years] and 2000 [eastern 'burbs])

• Mom's Bake-at-Home (three, all special categories: 1986, bake at home; 1992, Northwest Philly; 1996, pizza on a diet).

• Vitarelli's (three, all special: 1990, the readers' pick; 1995 and 1999, South Jersey).

After that, the other 46, including three two-time winners--Apollo Pizza (1992, best in Delaware County, and 1993, one of four regional winners), Montesini Pizza (two regional wins, in 1992 and 1993) and Towne Pizza (1976 and 1977)--and three chains: Pizza Hut and Pizzeria Uno (both 1982, the year of the suburban "Best of Philly") and Peace a Pizza (2005 winner for best in Delaware County, at their Wayne location). (Does Pietro's Coal Oven Pizzeria qualify as a chain? It won the city category in 2000).

I'd like to suggest tackling this geographically, starting in South Philly, home to more winners--10--than any other community. The obvious place to start, IMO, is Marra's, the only pizzeria in town that could touch Tacconelli's robes reputation-wise. From there, we could head one block north on Passyunk to Fiore's, then head south to La Rosa for a stand-up slice of potato-topped pie (the place has no seats) before finishing at Celebre's in the Packer Park Shopping Center.

And keep in mind that that's only four of the 10--and those 10 are just under 25% of all winners. We've got our work cut out for ourselves, folks.

Are you game to start on the 22nd?

Mama mia looks likea you're headed straightsa for the firsta PhDia in Philly Pizzaologia. I'll have ta check my wife's a schedulia, but I think the 22nd is perfectionia.

And if I haven't offended anybodyia yet, sounds like you have an excellent route planned out! Superb work pulling all this excellent research together... my tummymia thanks you!

In Center City my pick for best pizza for the money would be Lazaros at 18th and South. I've always felt like they beat the crap out of Lorenzo's, and they even deliver. The combo pie is 18" and loaded with toppings. Other selections from their menu have been good to excellent as well. Just a suggestion if anyone's looking for some place that seems to rarely get a mention.

There's those gourmet pizza shops, but the pizzas tend to come out so small and sparsely decorated that I never feel like they're worth it. Heck, how hard is it to go to Trader Joe's and get some pizza dough, a can of artichokes, some goat cheese, and sun dried tomatoes?

I have been around here for a long time and this time I may even attempt to make the pizza eating tour. The 22nd is, I believe, after the 15th and I should be free at last.

Grr. I've been really wanting to do a Pizza Club, but our dance card is full on the 22nd. :sad: I guess I'll have to wait for the next one.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I just realized I forgot one detail:

What time to meet at Marra's.

Let's convene this road trip at 2 pm on Saturday 4/22.

Katie or Holly -- can you put this on the eG Calendar?