• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

65 Years of Gourmet Recipes

Susan in FL

Has anyone else cooked something from the January 2006 issue of Gourmet? I am delighted about these recipes, and now we're cooking the fourth this week, even as we speak. Have you tried any of them that you also made before, according to the original recipe? They updated the recipes when it seemed appropriate. I agree that it's an extraordinary collection, reflecting American cooking through the years.

The first recipe I did from this issue was one that was modified, Pan-Seared Fish Fillets in Ginger Broth. When I made it a few years ago, it was called Pan-Seared Red Snapper in Ginger Broth. This dish is delicious. The original recipe called for two tablespoons of Scotch, and now in its place is 1/4 cup of medium-dry Sherry.

gallery_13038_2246_50020.jpg

Another night we had the Warm Lentil Salad With Sausage. Though very good, I think I preferred the 1991 version better than this, when the recipe was for serving two. I made way too much, and something just seemed a bit different. Nevertheless, it's excellent. For dinner it followed pate', etc.

Then there was the pizza... :wub: I am sure this would be heavenly, with the homemade dough. However, we had just returned from Happy Hour Friday night and made it for a quick conclusion to dinner. So, we used Boboli.

gallery_13038_2246_16461.jpg

This recipe was Three-Cheese Pizza with Onion, Sage, and Arugula. I can't find a link. Maybe it's the wine. :smile:

I started writing this post before dinner, and now it's after dinner. I'll give a report on the Cauliflower Gratin with Horseradish Crumbs after I look at the photos.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Susan, I'm glad you are going to look up this issue. It's a classic.

The cauliflower... mmmmm. I could eat way too much of this. In this recipe, we substituted smashed Triscuits for smashed Saltines. It's a delicious accompaniment to beef, with the horseradish flavor. It seemed like the starch of the meal to me. We had it with beef tenderloin steaks.

gallery_13038_2246_119333.jpg

The issue is a definite keeper though, at first, I was annoyed thinking that it was a repeat of stuff that I could find in the Gourmet Cookbook. I have made the Apricot Almond Tart (photo in the "What's for Dessert" thread) and the egg rolls. I tore out the two page thumbnail photo spread of many of the recipes and highlighted the ones that I want to try. Your photographed dishes look delicious.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This issue redeems such clunkers like the music issue from last year!! I don't have any photos, but I did make the short ribs with the ancho chile sauce. My first time making short ribs and it was great! And actually pretty easy. I served with mashed sweet potatoes instead of polenta.

This issue is a definite keeper- if you don't have it yet, move fast- I've already received my February issue.

Susan,

As you requested, these are the short ribs in coffee ancho chili sauce. In my opinion a keeper recipe.

gallery_38003_2183_823545.jpg

I followed the recipe to the letter, except instead of a half cup of coffee I used a shot of expresso and more liquid from the chilies - prepared on Saturday and re-heated and served in Sunday to develop the flavors. - This also allowed a lot of the fat to be skimmed off while solid. I served the short ribs with polenta. I think they would go better with caramelized onion mashed potatoes.

Anyway, delicious eating with a good - gutsy red. We had a Thorn-Clarke, Terra Barossa 2004 Cabernet Importers Reserve from Australia. The Terra Barossa handled the heat and spice without flinching.

I plan to do a couple more recipes from that edition. Is it o.k., to post to your thread?

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Thanks so much for posting, Jmahl! By all means, please do post here as you try recipes from this issue of Gourmet. The main reason I started this topic was for all interested to give and get feedback and tips on the recipes, and to alert others to how great a collection is featured.

I just read over the recipe, and it looks like a good suggestion to braise the ribs a day or two ahead, and remove solidified fat. I want to make this as soon as I buy the ribs... It turned hot today here in central Florida, and there probably won't be many days left that are cool enough to cook in this style!

What other recipes in this issue are you hoping to try soon?

I liked the Cauliflower Gratin from last night so much, I had some for breakfast this morning.

Susan, I've been making the short ribs braised in the ancho coffee sauce since it first appeared in Gourmet. It's not particularly spicy. But it is very flavorful. I get frequent requests for it.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Tonight DBF made Chicken a la King while I was at the gym. Nothing like a good workout followed by a calorie laden feast :biggrin: Verdict: another winner. We've never had Chicken a la King before and it's a keeper. We'll probably serve it with noodles or rice next time instead of the bread, but we enjoyed the "retro" chicken on toast. Sorry no photos- we wolfed this down waaay to fast to shoot pics of beforehand.

I also made the Bobotie (not on Epicurious) a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed the crunchiness that the almonds brought to the dish as well as the sweet bites of raisin.

For this past Channukah I gave kiddle a three year subscription to Gourmet. I figued that she has been collecting old issues long enough and deserves to own some first hand. :laugh: Lo, her first issue is this retrospective. My favorite pecan pie recipe of all time is in it. Yay! I hope that kiddle will be grateful AND inspired... Mummy's birthday is in a few weeks!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Jmahl, your beautiful photos of those short ribs has inspired me to try it. Do you or does anyone know if I can substitute dried chipotles for the anchos? I do have some ancho powder, but couldn't find the whole ones.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

I also cooked the lentils and sausage...so quick and easy. Is that why it appealed to a few of us? I've also resolved to cook more food at home that I like to eat out...lentils being one of those items.

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

Jmahl, your beautiful photos of those short ribs has inspired me to try it. Do you or does anyone know if I can substitute dried chipotles for the anchos? I do have some ancho powder, but couldn't find the whole ones.

Zuke

I think you could - it will just be a bit spicier and have a heavy smoked flavor - but there's nothing wrong with that!!

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Dear Susan:

I bake a cake that looks nearly identical to the Chocolate Souffle from 2001 on page 131 of the mag. I used a French recipe that varies only slightly from the recipe in the mag. Here's a photo.

gallery_38003_2183_1055563.jpg

That's the chocolate cake on the right, with a Ricotta tart on the left. Yes, I cracked the crust on the tart when I tried to slice it. I should have used my short carving knife. It has a much narrower blade. I was too lazy to go to the drawer.

And that's my hand --trying to decorate the plate.

This weekend I will look for a recipe to try out from the mag- I will report back.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

They really look good in the photo, Jmahl. The soufflé appealed to me when I saw it in the magazine. A few years ago my husband and I got on a kick of cooking smaller and quicker dinners on weekends, and as soon as we were done and cleaned up, we would cook a dessert soufflé. This recipe (chocolate, with orange caramel sauce, on my... :wub:) made me think we should revive the kick.

Now I'm fighting an urge for a sweet treat. :hmmm::unsure::biggrin:

I am looking forward to seeing what you cook this weekend!

• 2 months later...

ive tried the sausages and lentils too! tried it once in jan, made it again this month. delicious. LOVELOVELOVE du puy lentils.

wonder what was different about the original recipe. anybody have back issues? 1991 (jan?)

looked up some other recipes because i found it so delicious. cant read french, but they dont seem to have the tangy vinagrette. but maybe it is mentioned and i dont know it...

any one care to just peek and casually see if there are differences? they look as if its lentils in broth with sausages, no vinagrete.

the <a href="http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/233546">gourmet recipe</a>

<a href="http://www.cuisine.berberber.com/recette-Saucisses-aux-lentilles-74.html">one french recipe</a>

<a href="http://www.thuillet.com/legume.php">another french one...</a>

has anyone ever had them in a bistro?

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

Here's the 1991 version of the recipe. It's been really interesting, seeing the differences they chose to make in the 65 recipes.

Thanks for reminding me of this collection! There are a few more I want to make and I had set the magazine aside. It made its way to the bottom of a pile. I've got it out from under there now. Tomorrow is my birthday, so I should include some of the 1952 French Vinaigrette in the meal somewhere.