• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

baking powder

duckduck

I've very sensitive and can usually pick up the taste of baking powder. I'm going to play with the white cakes in the "best of" thread" but I'm hesitant with the amount of baking powder I see used. So I just thought I'd ask.

Are there any that don't taste as bad as others? Is there a difference in brands? I should do some of my own side by side testing but I thought if there are any other highly sensitive people out there that have had this issue, maybe someone would have input.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Could this be a sensitivity to the aluminum in most baking powders? Ever try Rumsford brand, or else making your own from scratch?

theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Making my own from scratch? :huh: This is the first I've heard of that. Got a recipe?

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Visit a health food store where you will find some alternative baking powders that do not contain aluminum.

However, my favorite is Bakewell Cream which is unlike any other I have tried.

Bakewell cream

It is available at several online vendors, including King Arthur Flour.

My local health food store began carrying it when I told them about it and took in a jar and left it with one of the owners who does a lot of baking. She is very enthusiastic about it and recommends it especially for very delicately-flavored baked goods.

I have also found that it keeps active much longer than other baking powders.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Making my own from scratch?  :huh: This is the first I've heard of that. Got a recipe?

This

is the standard for making your own.

However, all the ingredients have to be absolutely fresh. Often Cream of tartar will sit on a store shelf for many months. It is often the problem in making your own because if it is not fresh, it will impart a musty flavor to baked goods because of oxidation.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Going hunting after work today to see what I can find. Thanks for the suggestions! Since I was doing biscuits tomorrow anyway...we'll see if I can get around to a batch with each powder I find to do a side by side taste test. :cool:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

So far in my search I've come up with Hain's, Bob's Red Mill and Rumsford's. Still searching around for Bakewell Cream and if I can't come up with it locally, I'll try ordering by mail. Got a recipe and will be back with biscuit taste tests later.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

I don't know about your area, however some Williams-Sonoma stores here in SoCal usually have it. You can call and ask before you go.

So far in my search I've come up with Hain's, Bob's Red Mill and Rumsford's. Still searching around for Bakewell Cream and if I can't come up with it locally, I'll try ordering by mail. Got a recipe and will be back with biscuit taste tests later.

You can order Watkin's or Bakewell Cream online. Both avoid aluminum and both are double-acting. You can make your own from scratch with just baking soda, cream of tartar and cornstarch, but it would not be double-acting, i.e, create gas bubbles for rising both upon contact with liquid and later when heat is applied during baking. So if you make your own, don't stir it too much after adding liquid (that helps the gas bubbles escape) and after combining with liquid, get it into the oven as soon as possible.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

• 2 weeks later...

I did a taste test. Made four batches of buttermilk biscuits, same recipe, pan and ingredients with four different baking powders. All four were a far cry from the Calumet of my childhood and each had it’s own distinct personality. It was really pretty interesting. The contenders were Hain pure foods, Bob’s Red Mill, Bakewell, and Rumford. Each has it’s differences even in the packaging. Hain’s comes in a glass jar, Bob’s in a plastic bag and Bakewell in a tin that you have to pry open and you have to add baking soda to it. So on to the categories. Winners in order listed.

Best lift

Bakewell – more than doubled

Bob’s

Hain

Rumford

Fluffy inside

Bakewell

Hain

Bob’s

Rumford

Even color vs. speckling

Bob’s – pretty even color

Bakewell – small light speckles

Rumford – medium speckles

Hain – darker speckles (but still not bad looking)

Best flavor

Hain

Bakewell

Rumford

Bob’s

An odd note that Rumford and Bob’s has a stronger taste in the crust than inside

and Bakewell has little taste in the crust but a stronger taste inside. Hain’s was the most even flavor inside and out.

I will be moving on to a white cake round with Hain’s and Bakewell.

Ingredients for anyone curious –

Bakewell Cream – acid sodium pyrophosphate, redried starch.

Hain – monocalcium phosphate, potato starch, potassium bicarbonate.

Rumford – calcium acid phosphate, bicarbonate of soda, cornstarch.

Bob’s Red Mill – sodium phosphate, bicarbonate of soda, cornstarch, calcium phosphate.

Edited by duckduck (log)

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

You're welcome Wendy and for McDuff...mmmm...sausage gravy, some with jam and my fave of the bunch was the turkey ala king. :biggrin:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Was at Whole Foods last night looking for something so I compared prices too while I was there.

Bob's Red Mill $2.99 for 16 oz = .19 per ounce

Hain pure foods $4.29 for 8 oz = .54 per ounce

Rumford $1.49 for 4 oz & $2.49 for 10 oz = .37/.25 per ounce

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org