• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry Competition

Chezkaren

I heard that there is going to be a Pastry Competition on November 6-8, 2005 in Memphis, TN but that's all I know so far -- besides that one day might be at Graceland and one day at the Peabody. Has anyone heard any further details about this?

Well, yes there is. But I can't seem to find anyone knowlegable about it beyond that. I went on a little roller coaster ride being transfered hither and yon. Finally got the publicist's voice mail that she will be back in the office October 13th. But the pastry chef did verify that yes there is a pastry competition coming up. So I'll get chef-boy to do some digging. But I mean surely there are other avenues and there should be other sponsors that surely know something.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

OK, it is a food network thing. Invitation only. I'm told at Graceland it's Nov 9, 10 & 11. The Peabody said Nov. 6,7,8 or thereabouts--definite schedule is not firm yet. But I am only talking to peripheral people.

Oh man, my friends in Colorado got to attend a food tv competiton thing--I wanna go!!!

I'm definitely waking up chef-boy now! :laugh:

edited to say: Yeah I got sleepy-head on the case. :biggrin:

Cake competition at Graceland is all I have so far. I'm told foodnetwork is your best resource for getting more info. I was invited but I used all my vacation time for the shows in Phoenix so I won't be making this one.

Edited by duckduck (log)

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

• 4 weeks later...

Update: The theme for this pastry challenge will be "Rock 'n Roll" and they are doing both a chocolate showpiece and a sugr showpiece. The Peabody is having a welcome reception on Monday, 11/7 from 6-7 p.m. in The Corner Bar to meet the judges and competitors. The Peabody's Executive Pastry Chef Erika Davis is also going to be one of the judges and I believe Susan Notter is competing but I don't know any of the other competitors.

I'll be attending so if any eGullet members are going to also be attending, let me know. I'd love to meet you.

Karen

p.s. I searched around on the Food Network's website but couldn't find any additional information so if someone reading this is more computer savvy than I am.....

That's so cool for Erika! I think she'll be great. It's good to see some new faces on the shows. What a fun theme! I've been filling my sketch book the last few days of sugar showpiece ideas for the rock 'n' roll theme. It will be interesting to see what the competitors come up with.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I believe it is a birthday cake competition for Elvis, run by the food network....not real sure, I know that our wedding cake designer here at Bellagio will be in it, and chef Chris Hanmer(World Pastry Team Champion) was going to assist her, but for whatever reason, he is no longer going, and another member of our cake team will take his place.

Oh my total gosh--where's the jumping up & down smilie face???

THE ROCK N ROLL COMPETITION WAS SO-O COOOOL.

The competition was so cool. Sugar displays. One piece broke to utter smithereens. Another piece broke a lot of it's major components which covered the height. It was so amazing. And I met ChezKaran. We all got food tv aprons. :biggrin:

The Peabody's pastry chef, Erika, who helped judge the competition, served us wonderful warm large chocolate chip cookies. :raz: The food tv people said that was the first time they were ever served cookies at a competition. Can you say Southern Hospitality??? Oh yeah baybay!!! :laugh:

It was soooo cool!!!! The theme was rock & roll. This Regis guy's broke to smithereens--I knew it was gonna go because I could tell it wasn't right going up. He was using a level but the second white component was not leveled. The pieces on top of it were level, but with that second white part uneven the writing was on the wall on that one. He had been in a car wreck the day before too but wasn't hurt bad or anything. Ohhh it killed me. Hugely dramatic--just a big sonic BOOM! The whole dang freakin' thing. All the kings horses & all the king's men....

Then later, Susan Notter's awesome unbelievable work smashed off a big chunk. It was heart wrenching.

Meeting up with Karen was cool. But I kept asking people if their name was Karen. Duh-uh--so then before they arrested me or something I switched to "Are you from Nashville???" And finally I asked the right person!!! We had a LOT of fun!!!

Wish you all were there!!!!!

Karen has lots of great pictures. The man who won was farthest away from me so I didn't really catch his name. He only had like four weeks notice. Tracy came in second and Isaac came in third. Sorry about no last names. :rolleyes: Karen will have more complete information.

Saw chef-boy several times. Wish you all had been there!!!

I created an album of all 5 competitor's pictures in ImageGullet. Still trying to figure out how to link it into my reply. The album is entitled "Pastry Challenge 2005 - Memphis"

Will provide further details of the competition tomorrow. Too swamped in the kitchen today to devote much time to it. Sorry.

Karen

One quick thing I just remembered: after the awards ceremony, they were taking "good" pictures of the pieces. Anyway, someone walked by the table the winner's piece was sitting on, hit it and shattered into a trillion pieces. I was standing next to the mess when Jeffrey Ward (the winner) walks up to his table to witness the total destruction of his piece! :shock:

His comment was something along the lines of "well, now I don't have to figure out what to do with it".

OMG! :blink: When I heard of the theme, I had drawn out a clear guitar with an airbrushed piece of pastillage in it with Jimi Hendrix similiar to the Elvis piece. Wow. Thanks for the pics Karen!

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org