• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pictorial: Fish Cakes with Sa Cha Sauce

hzrt8w

Chiu Chow (Teochew)/Thai Style Fish Cakes with Sa Cha Sauce

I am trying to duplicate the fish cakes we had in a Chiu Chow (Teochew) style Chinese Noodle house in Richmond. They served the fish cake plain in the restaurant. I would like to add a sauce to pour on top.

gallery_19795_1758_987.jpg

I bought this bag of frozen fish cakes from the 99 Ranch Asian market. They labelled it as "Thai fish cakes". They did put some kiffar leave chunks in the fish cakes. Taste pretty good.

gallery_19795_1758_5335.jpg

Lay some shredded lettuce on the bottom of the dish. It serves as a garnish. And actually for another practical reason: the lettuce will absorb the excess cooking oil from the fish cakes.

gallery_19795_1758_24217.jpg

Lightly fry the fish cakes to golden brown (or slightly blackened). These fish cakes are ready-to-eat. You may use some raw fish paste to make this dish if you like. Just add some kiffar leave chunks to the fish paste mix. Ready-to-eat fish cakes sure are much easier. :smile:

gallery_19795_1758_31113.jpg

Lay the golden brown fish cakes on top of the bed of shredded lettuce.

gallery_19795_1758_16204.jpg

Hmmmm... what should I make as a sauce? Worry not! There is nothing that a little bit of garlic, chili, sambal and black pepper couldn't do. I chose to use the Sa Cha sauce (Bull Head brand - the best) as a base.

gallery_19795_1758_36750.jpg

Heat up a little bit of cooking oil to red hot. Put in minced garlic, minced chili, 1 tsp of sambal (or chili garlic sauce), a pinch of salt, 3-4 tsp of sa cha sauce (you may use this in generous portion), grind in some black pepper, and dash in 1 tsp of white vinegar and 1 tsp of sugar. Add a little bit of water (I use chicken broth sometimes). Cook for just a minute or so.

gallery_19795_1758_30149.jpg

Pour the finished sauce on top of the fish cakes. Put on a few slices of jalapeno for garnishing. For my DW who could not stand the heat, I have prepared a small dish of hoisin sauce on the side for her.

One question: Does anyone know if I want to use raw fish paste to make these fish cakes, how can I mold them to the disc shape?

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Hi there,

How about putting some pastry rings (or empty tuna cans with the top and bottom removed with a can opener) into an oiled pan and spooning the fish paste into the rings, then when the bottom has set, remove the rings and flip to cook the other side?

Just a thought.

One question:  Does anyone know if I want to use raw fish paste to make these fish cakes, how can I mold them to the disc shape?

Gosh, if I'm obsessed with uniform size, I'd make a long tubular (tks, Laksa, I like this term) roll. Slice at equal intervals. Roll each piece into a ball, and simply flatten them with my palms. Helps to flour hands a bit.

Yay! Hz is cooking!

You'd never catch pics of my cooking...I normally cook just before serving the hungry horde, so I have to whizz through the cooking...no time for pics during cooking or during serving. Desserts are easier.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

How about putting some pastry rings (or empty tuna cans with the top and bottom removed with a can opener) into an oiled pan and spooning the fish paste into the rings, then when the bottom has set, remove the rings and flip to cook the other side?

Thanks infernooo. I was thinking something along that line. Use a pastry ring to form the fish paste into circular shape. If I use a ring (no top no bottom), the bottom of the fish cake will be flat because of the pan. But the top side can be irregularly shaped. Unless I can use a butter knife or something to putty the top.

I also thought of using a very shallow tuny can (no top). Scoop the fish paste inside. Use a butter knife to putty the top. Then quickly flip the can on top of the pan, shake it and let the fish paste drop on to it. But the difficulty is the fish paste usually will stick on the can and will not fall out easily. If you use a knife to scrape it off, you would ruin the form. :wacko:

For those who have not worked with raw fish paste: they are very soft (like tooth paste). They harden quickly when cooked. And they are very sticky. They stick to the container, to your finger, to the knife... everything. That's one thing I don't like working with it.

I also thought of using a very shallow tuny can (no top).  Scoop the fish paste inside.  Use a butter knife to putty the top.  Then quickly flip the can on top of the pan, shake it and let the fish paste drop on to it.  But the difficulty is the fish paste usually will stick on the can and will not fall out easily.  If you use a knife to scrape it off, you would ruin the form.  :wacko:

Will it help if you first line the can with (oiled) cling wrap?

What might be even easier is if you roll the fish paste into a tube a la Tepee, wrap in alfoil and steam it. After the fish cake is cooked, it'll be easier to cut into slices and fry. Aren't fish cakes usually steamed before frying?

Gosh, if I'm obsessed with uniform size, I'd make a long tubular (tks, Laksa, I like this term) roll. Slice at equal intervals. Roll each piece into a ball, and simply flatten them with my palms. Helps to flour hands a bit.

Yay! Hz is cooking!

Well... I am not that obsessed with uniform size. Size doesn't matter much to me. :biggrin::biggrin: But I would sure like to have a simple trick to get the fish paste to form a "cake" - evenly flat, on both sides. The way I have been cooking raw fish paste: I scoop it with a spoon onto the pan, then quickly flatten the top with a spatula. But the edges will be all irregularly shaped. It's home cooking... Mo saw wai la (don't sweat it). It will be nice to form them in circular discs.

Unlike bread doughs, I don't think we can "roll" the fish paste into a long tubular roll because it is very soft and very sticky.

Yeah... I am cooking more once again. A few months ago I was really tied up with work and my study. Now my last project is over. It's just "study". :laugh: I can cook and post days and nights. :raz: Just for a short while... hopefully.

Tepee: may be give your DH a kick on the behind to shoot some photos while *you* are busy cooking!

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

What might be even easier is if you roll the fish paste into a tube a la Tepee, ...

I knew I was going to be famous one day....hope it's no reference to my vital statistics :wink:

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

What might be even easier is if you roll the fish paste into a tube a la Tepee, wrap in alfoil and steam it.  After the fish cake is cooked, it'll be easier to cut into slices and fry.  Aren't fish cakes usually steamed before frying?

In Hong Kong cooking practce, I have never heard of steaming the fish paste then frying it. Typically raw fish past is putty on to bell pepper, tofu, egg plants, etc or by itself, and directly goes to the fryer. No re-cook.

What might be even easier is if you roll the fish paste into a tube a la Tepee, wrap in alfoil and steam it.  After the fish cake is cooked, it'll be easier to cut into slices and fry.  Aren't fish cakes usually steamed before frying?

In Hong Kong cooking practce, I have never heard of steaming the fish paste then frying it. Typically raw fish past is putty on to bell pepper, tofu, egg plants, etc or by itself, and directly goes to the fryer. No re-cook.

Instead of steaming, make like they do with flavoured butters:

Scrape fish onto cling wrap, roll and wrap by grasping both ends. Pick the "tube" up once the wrap is around the fish paste several times and twirl to tighten the tube. Tuck the ends tightly under and freeze. Slice discs while frozen and fry immediatedly.

Wonder if that would work?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

In Seattle we are fortunate to have several markets that import "Awa Awa" or "Milkfish" fresh. It can be purchased whole or it is made into a base for Fishcakes at the markets using the traditional method.

You simply utilize a Tablespoon/Desert Spoon to squeeze or press out the Meat from the Fish, keeping a eye out for the occasional small bones that sneak into the paste. Once you get going it's easier then it sounds.

This is the species of Fish thats considered the best tasting for fish balls in most of Asia. Many recipes mix it with Corn Starch, Rice Starch or Tapioca Starch to make it bind easier, but thats optional.

When we make ours I like to add fine diced Ginger, Garlic, Shredded Carrots and White Pepper. If we intend to Fry by making into Patties I add some Whisked whole Eggs and Fine Ground Saltines into the Mixture and allow to set for over one hour in the coldest part of the refrigerator. [The cracker crumbs don't effect the taste only make it taste moister and better]

Then we place the paste a plastic shopping bag that been split in half covering the paste and flattening it between the plastic into the thickness preferred. Lift off the top of the plastic bag, using a cookie cutter or a tuna can of whatever dimension you prefer for your Fishcakes cut the out and place on a lightly floured cookie sheet or whatever. Lightly flour the exposed tops of the fishcakes and place them into preheated oil, frying them until the edges brown, turn and finish cooking.

We put the finished cakes onto a Kraft paper to absorb the oil then put into a warm oven on a platter until ready to serve.

If you check the ingredients on most commercial fish cakes you will notice that they generally containing some type of stabilizer or thickening agent.

We also fry the Fishcake Mixture by making into little balls then adding them to a Clear broth before serving. My grandchildrens favorite.

The Fishcake mixture mixed with Ground Pork and Salt Fish then steamed together topped with Salted Eggs tastes terrific with Rice for Breakfast.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

• 4 months later...

If you can find fresh caul fat in your area, you can lay out a large sheet of the caul, spread the fish paste along the middle but asymmetrically, the far edge somewhat broader.

Fold it back towards you. Now you have the two edges meet, and the fish paste betwwen, making a large roughly oblong sausage. Try to leave enough edge space so that you can fold once more into a rough cylinder. Then you can chill and with your hands squeeze to form round shpes, that you then cut off and pan fry, or dust with cornstarch and deepfry.

If this is becoming too complicated, just cut pieces of caul fat and wrap your paste in them. Then you can shape them easily, and as you fry, the fat will melt away, and leave a very delicious fish cake.

The caul fat is one of the best quality fats from the pig. It is very useful also in smashed shrimp balls.

g

Bull-head brand Sha Cha Sauce, is that the silver can?  I can see it says bar-b-q sauce on the can, just wondering.

Where did you get it from?

Yes. The silver can is Bull-head brand Sa-Cha sauce. The label said "barbeque sauce". It is sold in many Asian grocery markets.

Sa-Cha sauce, from what I understand, is minced shrimp (and other dried seafood?) mixed with other seasonings.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

hz,

I think you might get good results with a falafel mold. This site has them for 8.00 US. www.lebaneseproducts.com

Or you could go to a middle eastern market if you have one close by and check them out first.

Kathryn

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

Fish paste is sticky, flour on the hand helps alleviate the problem - somewhat, but it is not perfect. What is better is to liberally oil your hands frequently.

And...why all the obsession about the perfect circle?

I make fish cakes if and when I catch too many "trash" fish while angling for the desired game fish (freshwater). I will skin and bone them as much as possible, then I use the food processor to mince 5 parts fish to 1 part fat pork. Seasonings are light soy, or mam nuoc, coriander or scallions, salt&pepper, a bit of cornstarch and hand form into small patties. After frying up , a little bit of oyster sauce mixed with soy sauce is all that's needed as a sauce. Formed into balls, they are marvelous in a quick watercress soup, wonton soup, soupy noodles,etc.