• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oxtail soup

torakris

I should actually be more specific and say that I want the recipe for oxtail soup that they serve at Nazo's in Wailuku (Maui). :biggrin:

But if anyone can get me close I would be more than happy. I have tried making it a couple times and something is missing..

There is definitely star anise, scallions and quite a bit of ginger (including extra served on the table).

This is the only oxtail soup I ever ate in Hawaii so am not sure how the taste compares to other places. When I was living in Maui my husband and I were there at least once a week and it has been way too long since we have been back. :sad:

I did find this description of it in this blog.

(you need to scroll down a bit)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 3 weeks later...

Kristin,

Here is a recipe that I use, and most likely, the oxtail soup at Nazo's is a localized version of a Chinese recipe. The ingredient that you might be missing is the dried orange peel. You can find this in any Chinese herbal medicine shop.

Hopefully this helps.

Oxtail soup

3-4 pounds oxtails

1 cup shelled and skinned raw peanuts

1 piece dried orange peel

3 pieces star anise

1 3" piece ginger, thinly sliced

rock salt - to taste

garnish:

cilantro

green onions

grated ginger

Parboil oxtails for approximately 30 minutes. Rinse under warm water and trim of any excess fat.

Return oxtails to stock pot, adding dried orange peel, star anise, and ginger. Add water so that it's about 2" above the oxtails. Bring to a rolling boil and reduce heat to simmer.

Simmer for approximately 1 hour, then add peanuts. Be sure to skim any foam/scum that may appear on the surface.

Simmer for an additional 2-3 hours or until oxtails are tender. Set aside to cool, then refrigerate.

I normally like to refrigerate my oxtail soup over night before actually serving because the soup becomes more flavorful after a day in the fridge. It also

allows me to remove any additional fat/oil that may rise to the surface of the pot.

To serve, reheat for about 30 minutes on low, or until warmed through. Place 3-4 oxtails in each bowl, with enough broth to cover. Garnish with chopped cilantro,

green onions and freshly grated ginger.

Serve with some steamed rice on the side.

I didn't go to Nazo's when I was recently in Maui, but reid's recipe sounds very much like the soup my dad used to make. He also added lotus root, and sometimes black beans to make it heartier.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

• 4 weeks later...

I made the soup following reid's directions exactly! :biggrin:

It was a wonderful soup!!

gallery_6134_119_16483.jpg

I am almost positive that Nazo's doesn't have peanuts but I loved the addition of them. My only problem was that when I refrigerated it overnight the entire soup gelled (sp?) so I couldn't skim off any fat..

suggestions?

The additions of cilantro, scallions and ginger were perfect and my husband loved the soup, except now he really wants to go back to Maui... :sad:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I made the soup following reid's directions exactly! :biggrin:

It was a wonderful soup!!

gallery_6134_119_16483.jpg

I am almost positive that Nazo's doesn't have peanuts but I loved the addition of them. My only problem was that when I refrigerated it overnight the entire soup gelled (sp?) so I couldn't skim off any fat..

suggestions?

The additions of cilantro, scallions and ginger were perfect and my husband loved the soup, except now he really wants to go back to Maui... :sad:

In most "Hawaiian Oxtail Soups" there is one step particular to the Islands generally done:

The "Oxtail's" are purchased whole in one piece and they are cut only with a knife at the joints. This is thought to keep the Tail's tasting cleaner and makes the broth richer. The Soup will always jell if the broth is rich. The coating that remains on the top of the broth and can be scraped or sometimes peeled away is the fat.

On other item to enhance the flavor plus give the broth a lively taste is adding some Mustard Cabbage to the broth during the last hour it simmers this is done by many locals and Asians.

In all it's variations it may be "Hawaii's" most popular lunch entrée whenever it's on the menu. It is a regular item at all the Okinawan/Japanese American Restaurants on every Island.

The preferred seasoning is from "Chili Water" made from putting small whole dried chilli's into a bottle and filling with boiling water then letting it stand until the chilli's all expand and it cools down. This is kept at most homes and served at local style Restaurants as a condiment.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

• 7 months later...
This soup sounds (and looks!) terrific.  I have to try it now.  And oxtails are on sale this week at my local grocery store.

Thanks!

Does anyone know how the oxtail at Nazo's compares to Kam Bowl? Is it worth the drive from 4 Seasons Wailea?

Nazo's is now open for breakfast (as of June 1). They are famous for their oxtail soup. If you have to drive to Central Maui (either Wailuku or Kahului), it's probably worth the trip. One place I drove by nearly every day when I was on Maui last week and whose parking lot was always full was Fran's Island Grill (at 740 Lower Main St.) Plenty of locals go there to eat. Same with Sheik's Restaurant on Wakea Ave (near Queen Kaahumanu Ctr). That place has been around forever, and no matter what time of the day (they serve breakfast too), their parking lot is always crowded too.

Miulang