• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Cake Bible" by Rose Levy Beranbaum

freddurf

I find that I cannot get around her impressive Sour cream coffee cake and Banana cake with sour cream ganache. They come out perfect every time which is not the case with me with her Sponge and Chiffon cakes although chiffon cakes was all I baked for the first twenty years or so of my baking like.

Gato ming gato miao busca la vida para comer

I just bought a copy of The Cake Bible!  Would anyone care to list some of their favorite recipes from this book?  There are so many wonderful recipes, I don't know which one to try first.  Thanks :biggrin:

I love her orange chiffon cake, Bert Green's coffee cake, white spice butter cake, chocolate oblivion truffle torte, and her mousseline buttercream is my standard buttercream. If you make the chocolate torte, be sure to make the raspberry sauce/puree to go with it -- heaven!

I like the Mousseline Buttercream very much. It is great because it doesn't overwhelm the cake.

The Black Forest Cake is to die for. I made it for my parents 65th wedding anniversary and it was a great hit.

I find that you have to be careful when using these recipe not to overbake. If they get the least bit overbaked they will be dry. This happened on the first cake I made.

I love the All-Occasion Downy Yellow Butter cake. Extremely moist, with a fine crumb and buttery flavor. That's my "little black dress" of a cake.

The Pound Cake is very good, too. It's very light and fine in texture, sort of like a Sara Lee.

The Cordon Rose Cheesecake I had to throw out. Baked in a water bath, it was so cloyingly creamy I couldn't eat more than a few bites. But it you like very creamy cheesecakes, this could be for you.

Her mousseline buttercream is also my standard buttercream..very versatile & stable. It makes a great lemon buttercream when you add lemon curd to it. I've tried it with passionfruit curd as well. The honey buttercream is also nice when paired with something light.

The Almond cake is awesome..I use it alot. I used that to make a friends wedding cake with a chocolate ginger brulee filling. My best cake ever.

Pretty much all of the recipes I've tried have been great..I haven't tried all of them though.

Her banana cake recipe is also very good..great banana flavor, light & moist.

Try the Cordon Rose Cream Cheesecake, and top it with the Fresh Blueberry Topping. You won't believe how good it is! Whenever I make this, even people who aren't big cheesecake fans love it and everyone always asks for the recipe. Plus it's really beautiful - a perfect dessert to bake for a special occasion.

I'm making notes of everyone else's favorites to try, too!

Eliza Cross

"A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion."

I was recently blown away by the Chocolate Domingo Cake, eaten within a few hours from baking. Wow.

I've tried most of the butter cakes in that book and the All-Occasion Downy Yellow Butter cake continues to be my favorite. Makes a fantastic cupcake, too. Her mousseline BC is also my standard buttercream.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I'd add a vote for both the yellow and white butter cakes.

One I did not have as much success with is the one I think is called the white velvet cake - the one with white chocolate in the batter. It was fine just out of the oven, but became brick like when I refrigerated it.

One I did not have as much success with is the one I think is called the white velvet cake - the one with white chocolate in the batter. It was fine just out of the oven, but became brick like when I refrigerated it.

Hmm, I don't recall having that problem with the White Velvet Cake. My guests lapped it up, but I remember expecting more white chocolate flavor from the recipe. None of my guests detected it until I told them.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

The lemon chiffon cake is my favorite from that book, but I increase the juice and zest a little.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like I have some baking to do! I just cut a stock of bananas from our tree, so I think I'll start with the banana cake with sour cream ganache and then move on to the choc. oblivion torte. The mousseline bc is on the list too. I wonder how much weight I'll gain before Christmas?

Sour cream coffee cake is high on the list. Mocha whipped cream is so easy and yummy. I've always had good luck with her genoises, especially the variation of subbing hazelnut oil for the butter in a chocolate genoise.

I find that I cannot get around her impressive Sour cream coffee cake and Banana cake with sour cream ganache.  They come out perfect every time which is not the case with me with her Sponge and Chiffon cakes although chiffon cakes was all I baked for the first twenty years or so of my baking like.

That surprises me because her recipe is the best one I've come across for chiffon cakes that are delicate, moist and flavorful. Let me know what you are having trouble with and I can help. I've made every mistake there is. :wink:

To Freddurf: Can you characterize that smell? I came accross a curious observation in the Emperor of Scent stating that the aroma of ripe bananas when blended with the flavour of lemon suggest the scent of jasmine.

Thanks to Char, I'll give it another shot and will post if it turns bad again. I think my problem is that I am so accustomed to the Wesson Oil Party Chiffon (from the early sixties) and it throws me off as soon as I depart from it.

Gato ming gato miao busca la vida para comer

I like her mousseline buttercream recipe as well. I use it all the time, mixed with fruit fillings for the fillings for my cakes. It makes such a light filling! I also use her ganache recipe. Like others, I like the banana cake with the sour cream ganache.

To Freddurf: Can you characterize that smell?  I came accross a curious observation in the Emperor of Scent stating that  the aroma of ripe bananas when blended with the flavour of lemon suggest the scent of jasmine.

It's funny that you would say that, because DH and I just planted a lemon tree and the little flowers on it reminded me of jasmine! They were so fragrant! I'm curious to smell the bananas blended with lemons next time.

BTW, the banana cake was wonderful! I couldn't believe how light and moist it was. I will definitely make this again. Next on the list is the choc. oblivion...mmmmm!

The Almond cake is awesome..I use it alot. I used that to make a friends wedding cake with a chocolate ginger brulee filling. My best cake ever.

I would love some more info on your chocolate ginger brulee filling. I didn't see it in the book and it sounds very interesting.