• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

german buttercream

MightyD

hi all,

i have a customer request for a "custard buttercream" and the closest i can think of is a german buttercream. problem is, i've never done it before and have no idea how it should taste, feel, etc etc.

the recipe that i have is from the massive CSI's Baking & Pastry book. calls for equal amounts of pastry cream and butter, plus a touch of confectioners' sugar. has anyone tried this recipe?

help!!!! :blink:

hi all,

i have a customer request for a "custard buttercream" and the closest i can think of is a german buttercream.  problem is, i've never done it before and have no idea how it should taste, feel, etc etc. 

the recipe that i have is from the massive CSI's Baking & Pastry book.  calls for equal amounts of pastry cream and butter, plus a touch of confectioners' sugar.  has anyone tried this recipe?

help!!!! :blink:

Haven't tried it, but sounds like it would work. Why wouldn't you try a small batch and test it yourself?

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

I think a German buttercream is what they are talking about. I happen to like them, their slightly "richer"/"heavier" and well, I like that (maybe cause I'm part German). I can't think off the top of my head what the exact proportions of pastry cream to butter are............so I would follow the recipe you have. But adding xxxsugar seems wrong to me. Maybe someone else will jump in here and know.

If you can give me a day or two, I can find other recipes for you to compare to?

I've only made German buttercream twice and both times it was at pastry school (Dubrulle in Vancouver, BC). I checked the recipe and it seems very close to the CSI one you described.

We used 660g of pastry cream to 600g of butter, as well as 70g of icing sugar and a pinch of salt. We beat the pastry cream at high speed in the mixer to make it nice and smooth before adding the butter. However this type of buttercream is still not as smooth as other types of buttercream and is more 'chewy' for lack of a better word. Our instructor recommended German buttercream be used as a filling as opposed to finishing a product and we used it to fill choux pastries.

Edited by lemon curd (log)

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

dont mean to beat wendy to the recipe board, but i just scanned a recipe real quick if you want this as refernce as well.

Butter, soft 1 lb/454g

Confectioners' sugar, sifter 4 oz/113g

Pastry Cream 1lb/454g

Cream the Butter and sugar

Gradually ad pastry cream until fully incporporated after each addition scraping down the sides

Real easy. Also I was told never to use it for an icing(finish coat, only a filling. And obviously it makes sense not to use custard as a surface layer.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

I looked thru a book or two (didn't look thru my own file yet), anyway I came up with pretty much the same thing everyone else has. Even though I recall doing it a bit different in a couple recipes.

I actually would make my reg. buttercream and then add some pastry cream to it, by feel. Not caring what any book says. It should freeze well.