• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite cookie dough

Ling

Oh come on, I know I'm not the only one... :raz:

Do you have a cookie dough recipe that's so good, it gets eaten before even making it to the Silpat?

Right now, I'm loving the Korova cookies recipe (by Dorie Greenspan, adapted from Pierre Herme's Paris Sweets: Great Desserts from the City's Best Pastry Shops). I'm a sucker for anything chocolate with a bit of salty bite.

Here's the recipe:

http://www.leitesculinaria.com/recipes/cookbook/korova.html

My second favourite cookie dough to eat is the peanut butter cookie recipe from the back of the Kraft peanut butter jar. It's especially good when frozen.

Ling, you are bad, just bad! I was sitting here at the computer trying to decide between preparing a healthful salad or perhaps a piece of fish for dinner when I read your post. It's cookie dough for dinner tonight - thank you for saving me from boredom and allowing the inner sweet fiend to take control! :smile: Oh, I suppose I'll have to come back and post a cookie recipe later...much later.

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

I love those Korova cookies (hmmm, haven't made those in a while).

Of course, chocolate chip cookie dough is great. However, have you ever made the cookies from the recipe on the back of the bag of Skor toffee bits? Yum, baked or unbaked.

This look like it's the recipe.

Edited by JFLinLA (log)
So long and thanks for all the fish.

My second favourite cookie dough to eat is the peanut butter cookie recipe from the back of the Kraft peanut butter jar. It's especially good when frozen.

Kraft peanut butter? I've never seen Kraft brand peanut butter!

Recipe, please!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

^No Kraft brand peanut butter where you live? Maybe it's a Canadian thing.

Here's the recipe. It calls for proportionally more peanut butter than many recipes I've seen.

1 1/4 cup peanut butter

1/2 cup butter

3/4 cup granulated sugar

3/4 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

2 tsp vanilla

1 cup flour

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp baking soda

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 min. until centers are still soft.

(The recipe doesn't contain much flour, and I find that they bake up much better when the dough is frozen...less spreading. Or sometimes I add an extra 1/4 cup of flour to the recipe.)

Edited by Ling (log)

Ling, you are bad, just bad! I was sitting here at the computer trying to decide between preparing a healthful salad or perhaps a piece of fish for dinner when I read your post.

I'm glad to have saved you from that.

If it makes you feel any better, I ate the batch I made yesterday and I'm working on batch #2 at the moment.

I prefer this dough at room temp rather than frozen, perhaps because it's not too sweet to begin with. :smile:

Right now, I'm loving the Korova cookies recipe (by Dorie Greenspan, adapted from Pierre Herme's Paris Sweets: Great Desserts from the City's Best Pastry Shops). I'm a sucker for anything chocolate with a bit of salty bite.

that looks goooood.

Ok, assuming I make up this dough, eat some of it raw (I promise), and bake the rest of it into cookies.. would the cookies still taste good the next day??

I know this is probably not the right place to ask :biggrin: but I'm looking for a good chocolatecookie to bring over to friends when I go visit them next week, and I need to bake the cookies the day before.

Edited by Chufi (log)

^Yes, I've seen the flourless peanut butter cookie recipes but I've never tried them. Are they good?  :smile:

I actually have that recipe at the back of my kraft PB. They are good but the same recipe with Nutella is good too (just add a couple of Tbsp of flour)

^No Kraft brand peanut butter where you live? Maybe it's a Canadian thing.

Here's the recipe. It calls for proportionally more peanut butter than many recipes I've seen.

1 1/4 cup peanut butter

1/2 cup butter

3/4 cup granulated sugar

3/4 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

2 tsp vanilla

1 cup flour

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp baking soda

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 min. until centers are still soft.

(The recipe doesn't contain much flour, and I find that they bake up much better when the dough is frozen...less spreading. Or sometimes I add an extra 1/4 cup of flour to the recipe.)

Does anyone know what the equivalent in grams is for the peanut butter? I have a translation from cups to grams for everything else. Thanks!

I know some of you aren't huge Martha fans, but I adore her recipe for Cream Heart Cookies. I use other shapes too... they seem to be more of a wintry cookie, but they remind me of pie dough. I've used splenda to roll them in and used a sugar-free jam for a diabetic friend... a little more difficult to roll, but the friend appreciated it! They melt in your mouth!

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?ty...t&id=recipe1269

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Also, does anyone have a good cookie recipe for ice cream sandwiches?

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Ling, I Kraft PB is a Canadian thing. I don't remeber seeing it in the states.

Okay, shame on me for asking but have you tried this recipe with natural peanut butter. That's what I have in the house right now.

that looks goooood.

Ok, assuming I make up this dough, eat some of it raw (I promise), and bake the rest of it into cookies.. would the cookies still taste good the next day??

I know this is probably not the right place to ask :biggrin: but I'm looking for a good chocolatecookie to bring over to friends when I go visit them next week, and I need to bake the cookies the day before.

Absolutely. These will hold for a few days.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Great topic. I love the ginger snap dough from "Joy of Cooking", unbaked shortbread and peanut butter cookie dough.

Don't you think that the more refined cookies have tastier dough but things like oatmeal cookies are less satisfactory right out of the bowl.

I actually love oatmeal cookie dough; I usually don't end up baking the cookies b/c the dough tastes so much better. In fact, instead of eating oatmeal, I've started mixing a bit of walnut oil and honey with raw oats and sprinking it with mace. Tastes like oatmeal cookie dough, but a lot healthier.

Chocolate chip cookie dough is another fave. I crave the dough more than the cookies. The older I get, though, the more my stomach aches from eating raw dough...

Ling, I Kraft PB is a Canadian thing.  I don't remeber seeing it in the states.

Okay, shame on me for asking but have you tried this recipe with natural peanut butter.  That's what I have in the house right now.

My diet consists of nothing natural or healthy. :sad: I haven't tried it with natural peanut butter, but I can't imagine the dough or the cookies turning out horrible--maybe just add an extra bit of sugar?

And Australian. Ours has Thai peanut sauce on the label. I haven't tried Canadian PB, but ours is not as sweet as the leading American brands, so if you like a sweeter cookie you may need more sweetener than the recipe calls for. In practice I don't bother.

You can make great PB cookies by substituting in other nut butters as well, alone or in combination. I made some great ones where I also included tahini as part of the amount of PB called for.

And Australian. Ours has Thai peanut sauce on the label. I haven't tried Canadian PB, but ours is not as sweet as the leading American brands, so if you like a sweeter cookie you may need more sweetener than the recipe calls for. In practice I don't bother.

You can make great PB cookies by substituting in other nut butters as well, alone or in combination. I made some great ones where I also included tahini as part of the amount of PB called for.

Actually its not the sugar content that I was concerned about as much as the shortening in commercial PB. I was thinking natural PB might affect the texture of the cookies. But insufficient sugar could also make them less chewy. I hadn't thought about that. I like my pb bookies quite chewy and not like a sable.

I'll try em out when I can, and report back.

I think chocolate chip cookie dough is my favorite. I'll take tastes of most other cookie doughs that I make, but don't get heady thinking about eating them raw the way I do with chocolate chip.

Pie dough, though, is the best.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I think chocolate chip cookie dough is my favorite. I'll take tastes of most other cookie doughs that I make, but don't get heady thinking about eating them raw the way I do with chocolate chip.

Pie dough, though, is the best.

Since we seem to agree on this pie dough thing, I have to tell you what we do here in canada-- they are called nun's farts ( I know, real classy). Take said pie dough. roll it and top with brown sugar. roll up and slice (eat a few now). Put in glass dish cut side down and pour maple syrup over them with a bit of water (or cream), so in total your liquid is about 1/2 way up the side of the rolls. Bake. The dough absorbs the syrup but it stays moist and forms this great maple caramel. They are the best. My grandma used to make them for us with pie scraps.

Edited by chantal (log)