• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Distinctly Canadian

Marlene

It occured to me tonight while I was fixing a drink that I was making something distinctly Canadian. Then I thought of a few other things that we seem to have or make only in Canada (besides Red Rose tea!)

For the purposes of this thread, we are Canadian. Not Western, Eastern or Central Canada. So what things can you add to the list below?

Bloody Ceasars

Peameal Bacon

Butter Tarts

Dry Ribs as appetizers

Carry on!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

It occured to me tonight while I was fixing a drink that I was making something distinctly Canadian.  Then I thought of a few other things that we seem to have or make only in Canada (besides Red Rose tea!)

For the purposes of this thread, we are Canadian.  Not Western, Eastern or Central Canada.  So what things can you add to the list below?

Bloody Ceasars

Peameal Bacon

Butter Tarts

Dry Ribs as appetizers

Carry on!

How about those peanut burger things? Surely (hopefully) those only exist in Canada. :raz:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Poutine

Tarte au sucre

Seal flipper pie :blink:

Tourtiere

Smoked salmon and candied salmon ("Indian Candy")

Montreal smoked meat

Maple syrup candy

Ketchup-flavoured potato chips

Coffee Crisp chocolate bars :wub:

Nanaimo bars

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

The old-timers love their flipper pie...personally I like the seal's liver best.

There are a few interesting Acadian dishes, like "Rappie Pie..."

And the traditional Newfoundland beer snacks, salted dried caplin and salted dried squid, served after heating on top of the woodstove. And hey, there's fish 'n' brewis; and damper dogs (though I believe the Aussies do something similar); and toutens.

...and I haven't seen anyone make pink potato salad outside Newfoundland (it's got pickled beets in).

All the Purity products...the lemon biscuits, peppermint knobs, etc.

I guess this has gotten all regional, hasn't it. Sorry.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

How about those peanut burger things? Surely (hopefully) those only exist in Canada. :raz:

Don't knock them till you've tried them Brooks dear. :raz:

Marlene

If you can claim smoked meat, surely you can claim... maple candy, too.

Maple syrup candy

I did! :wink:

Almost forgot bison/buffalo burgers, not to mention bison hot dogs.

There's also bannock and fry bread (the not-so-sweet cousin of beaver/whale tails).

And I've been wanting to forget "Baby Duck"... "baby Canadian champagne". :hmmm:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Coffee Crisp chocolate bars  :wub:

Though now being secretly imported to the SFO area (and I have received a photo to prove it), Coffee Crisps are the great corporate equalizer.

Anyway, in a related note to Bloody Caesars, there's also Clamato juice.

.  Then I thought of a few other things that we seem to have or make only in Canada (besides Red Rose tea!)

I don't think smoked meat, smoked salmon or maple syrup qualify under the above statement. I also recall seeing bison burgers in a restaurant in Wyomming somewhere once.

Marlene

Red River cereal (why it isn't exported is beyond me)

Mae West (the confection, not the person)

Ice cider

Lake Manitoba whitefish caviar

Any number of Quebec cheeses and surely a few from elsewhere

Matane shrimp

Spruce beer

Various oysters (Pickle Point, Malpèque, etc.)

Caribou

Edit: Removed poutine and Montreal-style bagels.

Edited by carswell (log)

Chocolate-covered blueberries

Oreilles de Christ

Maple taffy ice cream

Hot Chicken (the sandwich)

St-Hubert/Swiss Chalet-type "barbecue"

Pouding chômeur

Cipâte

Salmon pie (pâte au saumon)

Herbes salées

Lobo and Melba apples

Montreal melons

Edited by carswell (log)

Specialty from Montreal/Quebec:

trempette (bread soaked with maple syrup and topped with creme fraiche or cream)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Oh, geez, we must have collectively blocked it from our minds...

Tim Horton's. God help us.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Red River cereal (why it isn't exported is beyond me)

Lake Manitoba whitefish caviar

Edit: Removed poutine and Montreal-style bagels.

What is Red River cereal (asks one who lives along the Red River)?

Smoked Goldeye

Smarties

Shmoo!

Smarties

Smarties? These? If so, I beg to differ on their Canadiality.

Canadianity.

Canadianess.

wrong smarties. When I first moved here, I was confused too. The smarties they are talking about are candy coated chocolates, kinda like the plain M & M's I think smarties are a bit flatter and they come in different colors.