• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Re-bottling Spirits

Joe Blowe

I just came across a ruined bottle of Royal Salute. It was a gift from about 15 years ago(!), I enjoyed a few drams (about half the bottle) over the course of that following year or so, and then I tucked it away "for special" in a desk drawer.

Since then, I moved to NYC, came back, moved twice again, and then rediscovered the bottle during my last move into our new house. Needless to say, it had been mistreated, and I was rewarded with a snout full of old socks.

If I had the foresight back then to rebottle into smaller bottles, could I have avoided this tragedy? I don't have anything nearly as expensive in the cabinet at the moment, but as I start buying more and more expensive bourbons I don't want to repeat this.

I realize that if I were to consume my open bottles a bit more quickly, this wouldn't be a problem -- but I really like to make those expensive bottles last...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I have rebottled a few bottles of rum in smaller bottles with very good results. Since the biggest factor in the deterioration of spirits is air, by bottling in smaller bottles you eliminate some of the oxidation factor. But don't forget to label your bottles well, or you may find some unpleasant surprises. Look for bottles with good caps, plastic work well. As nice as cork appears, it rarely lasts more than a few years.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Thanks for the reply, Ed. I've got a line on quite a few 200ml bottles, which happen to be filled with Old Forester :wink:, that I'm gonna snap up, drain, and refill with some better contents...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.