• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Taste of the Mediterranean

An international culinary conference "A Taste of the Mediterranean" will take place in Jerusalem next Wednesday and Thursday (15 and 16 June). The conference, sponsored by the Konrad Adenauer Conference Center and the Israeli Ministry of Education will take place at the Botton Auditorium in Mishkenot Sha'ananim. I had posted earlier about this conference but now, with full details in hand, thought a fully updated post was in order.

The purpose of the conference is to explore the history, sociology, psychology and other various influences of Mediterranean Cuisine. Among those presenting papers will be Claudia Roden (the world's leading writer about Mediterranean cuisine and as I once introduced her, "a figure of mythical proportions"); Moshe Basson (Culinary Archaeologist, Chefs for Peace); Fatema Hall (Chef and Food Writer, Mansouria Restaurant, Paris); Chaim Gan (of The Grape-Man); Carlo Petrini (President and Founder of the Slow Food Movement); Dr. Ilana Shapira (Naturopath and Author); Erez Komorovsky (of Lechem Erez); Flavia Lwow (Associate Curator of the Israeli Museum); Prof. Elliot Berry (Director of the School of Public Health at Hadassah); Prof. Mohammed Shaheen (Al Quids University); Anne Kleinberg (Author and Culinary Journalist); Tal Glick (Geographic Photographer); Sandro Dernini (Forum of Mediterranean Food Cultures); Vedat Basaran (Chef-Owner, Feriye Lokantasi Restaurant, Turkey)and Phyllis Glazer (Culinary Writer and Consultant). I shall also be presenting a paper the hypothesis of which relates to how foods and culinary contributions cross borders far more easily than do people in this region.

There will also be a session of cooking demonstrations by chefs Joseph Asfour (Darna, Ramallah); Tamasr Blay (Formerly of Arcadia); Victor Gluger (Chloelys; Shalom Kadosh (Sheraton Plaza); Ezra Kedem (Arcadia); Yaron Kestenbaum (Food Art); Mika Sharon (Mika); Chaim Tibi and (Muscat)

My own reaction (and the reason I agreed to participate) is that many of the people and many of the talks scheduled will be at a high level and thus of great interest. In other words – attending the conference receives my highest recommendation.

It is my understanding that participation in the entire conference will cost NIS 400 (NIS 350 for students and senior citizens). Some of the talks will be given in English, others in Hebrew and possibly Arabic and French. Simultaneous translation to English will be available.

To receive the entire program, for registration and other information best contact is Beverley Hemo who can be reached at 02 6292212 or by email to programme@mishkenot.org.il

(Other than that I am presenting a paper, I have no direct connection with the conference)

I won't be in the neighborhood so I won't be attending.

I am looking forward to your thoughts on event afterwards. I think Michelle is planning on going as well.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

I was planning to go, but my boss gave me a three-day project and I now I can't take Thursday off like I planned. :angry:

Daniel, please send us a full report. I am sorry that I will miss your discusssion.

Wednesday

It is now 05:55 in the morning. In a few moments I'm off to take the train from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem (alas, would you believe there were once trains from here to Damascus, Beirut and even Baghdad?). Will report back on the conference on return on Friday.

• 3 weeks later...

Fair enough!. Yesterday I received an email from the organizers to the effect that a video of the entire conference will be posted within the next few days on their internet site at www.mishkenot.org.il

Perhaps best to let all draw their own conclusions. My own overall reaction was that it was good to meet and chat with many of our colleagues as well as with members of the surprisingly well-informed audience.