• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tan Dinh (Gretna)

Jason Perlow

NOTE: This topic is part of the Eating New Orleans series.

Tan Dinh

2005 Belle Chasse Hwy., Gretna, 361-8008

After eating extremely rich Creole and Cajun cuisine pretty much non-stop for 4 straight days, we decided that our overworked digestive systems needed a rest and thus headed out to Gretna for Vietnamese food.

While Tan Dinh isn't in Pableaux's book, Vietnamese food in Gretna is, so we figured we were within acceptable limits of interpretation.

Tan Dinh would be considered an excellent Vietnamese restaurant in any city, let alone the Greater New Orleans area. Their offerings are tremendous, and while the restaurant was EXTREMELY busy during lunchtime and its a really big place, service was excellent and the food was top notch.

gallery_2_0_37954.jpg

Tan Dinh's pearl tapioca sago drink lineup.

gallery_2_0_113557.jpg

The place was really hopping.

gallery_2_0_49399.jpg

Ca Phe Sua Da, Vietnamese Iced Coffee, brewing.

gallery_2_0_30672.jpg

Goi Cuon, Fresh Spring Rolls (AKA "Summer Rolls" for you NY/NJ folk.)

gallery_2_0_156772.jpg

Cha Gio, Egg Rolls (AKA "Spring Rolls" )

gallery_2_0_118471.jpg

Egg Roll wrapped up in lettuce leaf.

gallery_2_0_99380.jpg

Pho Tai -- and an excellent pho broth it was.

gallery_2_0_37179.jpg

Lemon Grass Chicken with fluffy buns.

gallery_2_0_61714.jpg

Banh Mi Sandwich

gallery_2_0_109125.jpg

I think these were desserts of some sort.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

gallery_2_0_37179.jpg

Lemon Grass Chicken with fluffy buns.

gallery_2_0_61714.jpg

Banh Mi Sandwich

Whoa, those look really good! I wish this place were in New York! But I don't begrudge people in other parts of the U.S. having access to some good Vietnamese food. :smile:

Where is Gretna in relation to New Orleans?

Michael aka "Pan"

It's 5.5 Miles southeast of the city over the Greater New Orleans Bridge.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

It is pretty easy to make an argument that the concentration of Vietnamese restaurants here is as high, or higher, than almost anywhere else in the US. There are tons of them and you can usually even find one in many of the small towns South of 1-10 all along the Gulf Coast of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama

After the fall of Viet Nam, many Vietnamese ended up on the Gulf Coast, and particularly the New Orleans area, as the weather is similar, we are predominately Catholic (Catholic Charities sponsored many of the first people to come over, so many more followed as they already had family members here), and the opportunities to do similar jobs were available In the late 70's early 80's I worked summers offshore and probably half of the helicopter pilots and air service personnel were Vietnamese-they also became an important part (though not always welcomed by long time native fishermen) of our fishing fleets, and the fish processing industry.

Another place that I really like is on Veterans Blvd, near Williams, in Kenner (by the airport) - Pho Bang-great, great pho broth and all of the chewy bits that make it even better. The family has two other locations, as well. One out in the East and another on the Westbank in Harvey. I think that I like the one on Vets as it is all of 1/4 mile from my office.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I keep waiting for a Vietnamese/Creole fusion restaurant. I don't mean fusion in the fashionable, self-conscious way it's often been done. It just seems like pretty soon a local chef will come along who grew up eating Creole and Vietnamese. He or she will think it only natural to combine the flavors that they've known since youth.

Brooks and others, do you see Vietnamese food having wider influence in the cuisine around here? I haven't seen it. Maybe the Vietnamese arrived too recently and the local culinary traditions are too deep for much exchange to take place yet.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

I keep waiting for a Vietnamese/Creole fusion restaurant.

There are a couple of places, both by the same owner/chef. The Lemongrass cafe and 56 degrees. They feature upscale vietnamese with creole ingredients.

I'm from Gretna and the Vietnamese population has vastly grown in the past 10 years. Before there were a few vietnamese dishes served in Chinese restaurants. But now, the Restaurants and Markets are everywhere. Kinda like the central american population boom in Kenner.

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

I haven't eaten at Lemongrass (I'm pretty sure that 56 degrees is closed). Is it really a fusion between New Orleans cuisine and Vietnamese? After reading old reviews, it looks like 56 Degrees really was more fusion. Lemongrass seems more traditional and they sell it as a fusion of French and Vietnamese with local seafood.

I'm eager to hear your report.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

I went to Lemongrass in 2003, there's an existing eG thread with pics.

• 4 months later...