• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Houston: The Midtown Farmers Market

FoodMan

On June 13th we are having an eG Spotlight Chat with Chef Monica Pope in the Texas forum, click here for the calendar entry. So, in early April Linda LaRose (Fifi) and I visited the Midtown Farmers Market for a tour.

For those of you not familiar with the market, it happens every Saturday at T'afia, Chef Pope's restaurant. In Houston, we have had no true farmers markets for a long time. A few years ago small farmers markets made a re-appearance, including the Onion Creek one --- also with the support of Chef Pope. Onion Creek suffered from a few problems with the city officials who refused to allow the vendors to sell any fresh eggs, poultry or prepared foods. However, the market survived and a little over a year ago, Chef Pope opened T'afia and started another Saturday farmers market in its parking lot and dining room (the restaurant is open for dinner only).

We got there pretty early, armed with a good camera, and had a hearty breakfast at The Breakfast Klub (sausage gravy with biscuits, green eggs and ham) next door. Since it was only April, there were fewer vendors than you would find in the summer months.

We also talked with Andrea Lazar, T'afia's manager. I asked if they are still having any problems with the city officials. She said that has been taken care of thanks to our new mayor who is very supportive. She also said that we should see many more vendors in future months.

gallery_7796_1147_46799.jpg

As you can see the restaurant's parking lot is the home for vendors, typically of veggies, fruits, poultry and some crafts. Very few prepared foods are in this area, in observance of city health laws.

gallery_7796_1147_21993.jpg

gallery_7796_1147_40432.jpg

The following is a selection of the vegetables available that day. My favorites are those colorful cauliflowers. Sure they more or less taste the same, but they look so darn cool. Unfortunately, the tomatoes were all gone by the time we finished breakfast (8:30 AM or so), so no pictures of those.

gallery_7796_1147_62533.jpg

gallery_7796_1147_16237.jpg

gallery_7796_1147_71337.jpg

gallery_7796_1147_23999.jpg

gallery_7796_1147_62108.jpg

gallery_7796_1147_41838.jpg

gallery_7796_1147_34967.jpg

gallery_7796_1147_15811.jpg

A year ago, buying fresh free range eggs and chickens was pretty much impossible or at least very very "tricky" at a farmers market in Houston. Now, at least two vendors had eggs and at least one had freshly killed free range chickens.

gallery_7796_1147_49023.jpg

The dining room of T'afia hosts vendors selling prepared foods and baked goods. Several breakfast items are also sold there like mini quiches and breakfast biscuits. Here is a display of Kraftsmen Breads.

gallery_7796_1147_9058.jpg

gallery_7796_1147_38788.jpg

More Kraftsmen Breads

gallery_7796_1147_65115.jpg

Chocolate from the Brown Bag, my favorite is one made with Jack Daniels and fleur De Sel. The best part is they always have samples. :smile:

gallery_7796_1147_41898.jpg

Plum Sauces, spreads and dips. "Plum" is Chef Monica Pope's catering brand.

gallery_7796_1147_28070.jpg

I ended up leaving the market that day with some fresh eggs of mulitple colors, one of which was off-green :wacko:, a free-range organic chicken and different lettuces for a salad. If you have never tasted a real free-range chicken before, pick one up at the Midtown Farmers Market, roast it and serve with a nice green salad and some Dijon mustard. I promise, it does not "taste like chicken".

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

How can you not include a photo of the biscuits and gravy from the Klub???!!!! That place rules for breakfast and their coffee is very good.

These pictures are fantastic and it is a good reminder for me to go back. I am also happy to hear the mayor is supportive.

When I got married in Oct and had a ton of out of town guests from NYC and Boston I made this list of restaurants, bars, and things to do around town with my colorful commentary. Everyone stayed downtown and the NYC people I went to school with surprisingly all took the light rail to Breakfast Klub for breakfast and then checked out the market as if it was a common Houston Saturday AM activity. I couldn't believe it. They all thought Houston was kool (and most had never even been to Texas at all). I was so proud.

Great pics! The market (among other things) is something that I really miss since moving to Sugar Land. Anyone know if the farmer's market near Richmond and Kirby is still around?

Great pics! The market (among other things) is something that I really miss since moving to Sugar Land. Anyone know if the farmer's market near Richmond and Kirby is still around?

Yes, it is, and they now have market on Wednesdays from 4-7PM as well as on Saturday mornings. I went by last Wednesday, it was quiet, but they had AWESOME tomatoes (I tried a variety called Cherokee Purple, I think, and it was wonderful - almost smoky tasting), fresh berries (way expensive at $4 for a half-pint, but very plump and tasty) and some excellent Texas peaches (I am hard to please on peaches, being from Georgia, but these were great!) I meant to go on Saturday but didn't make it, which is scandalous since I live less than a mile away. They have music on Saturdays, too, which is fun, and many of the same vendors as Midtown Farmer's Market.

I am excited about Monica's participation in a chat this week! I love the Midtown Market. I had my second annual birthday dinner at T'afia last week, got the tasting menu as usual, and again it was great (although, at 34 weeks pregnant, I CAN'T WAIT until I can get the wine pairings again!) Thanks for the great pictures, fifi and Food Man!

WOW! What wonderful market photos!! I am very excited about next week's upcoming chat. I am EXTREMELY low-tech (read no-tech), so a forum like this is very new to me but it is extremely exciting and invigorating. I look forward to participating in a lively, spirited discussion next week.

All the best,

Monica