• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch options - possibly on the Drive?

I am meeting a colleague for lunch next week - he works at BCIT and I work in Kits. Any ideas on where we can go that is half-way for both of us? I thought somewhere on the Drive but have no idea which restaurants are open for lunch, and of those, which have good food and reasonably quick service. Any and all ideas gratefully received.

Cheers,

Karole

I was at Rime (1130 Commercial Drive) last Saturday for lunch and enjoyed it very much. The menu was so interesting, I have to go back a few more times. The price was reasonable and portions generous. We had the lunch special for $6.99: Tavuk Izgara (Turkish BBQ chicken with oregano and spices) served with basmati rice-orzo combination and a Dijon vinaigrette salad. The service was very pleasant too.

You could try the WaaZuBee Cafe I was there afew times for lunch and dinner. If I remember correctly Sbonner took care of the drinks list there so some good wines and martini's for lunch :biggrin: Clove is great and if it's sunny the patio at Havana works well. All have fast service if in a rush and decent quality. I'm back in California again so I'm missing the Vancouver restaurant scene.

No culture exists without food and drink

I think Chonqing (sp?) at Commercial and 12th is open for lunch. I've had some good food there and I believe they have free parking in the back.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

I've done lunch at both Havana and Wazubees. I think I'd take Havana over Wazubees, especially if it's a business lunch. Wazubees can be a bit loud. The food is perfectly fine at both restaurants.

Paul B

I love the atmosphere of Wazzubee at night. Marcello's is not a bad option either - not sure if they're open for lunch.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Marcello's is not a bad option either - not sure if they're open for lunch.

Yes, Marcello's does lunch. Outstanding pizza; however, if dinner service is a benchmark, then lunch service might not be too expedient. Just sayin'...

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

You could try the WaaZuBee Cafe I was there afew times for lunch and dinner. If I remember correctly Sbonner took care of the drinks list there so some good wines and martini's for lunch :biggrin: Clove is great and if it's sunny the patio at Havana works well. All have fast service  if in a rush and decent quality. I'm back in California again so I'm missing the Vancouver restaurant scene.

Hello eatglobally....

Yes I do take care of the drinks at the WaaZuBee Cafe. Thank you for remembering me. I would agree with some of you that this venue is not the best place to hold a business lunch but you are more than welcome. They also have free wireless internet connections and if the music is too load just ask a server or manager to turn it down. In regards to quickness; the cafe is very busy for lunch Wednesday to Friday, so just ask for a "rush order". If you drop by I now have created a new wine list with 28 wines by the glass.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Would you consider Main Street as a halfway spot?

Lots of good options there.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Shellback,

I'm interested in hearing more about Rime. My friend did a music gig there recently.

What is the cross street? Is there a stage for performances? Would it be suitable for a spoken word-type reading?

Merci!

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Shellback,

I'm interested in hearing more about Rime. My friend did a music gig there recently.

What is the cross street? Is there a stage for performances? Would it be suitable for a spoken word-type reading?

Merci!

Zuke

Hi Zuke,

Rime is on Commercial between Napier and William. The restaurant is quite spacious. There are two sections to the restaurant: The smaller section has tables along the windows on one side and the wall on the other side (for dining); the larger section is a big room where there is a "stage" area (not raised) surrounded by smaller round tables and a "mattress" looking thing in the middle of the room for people to sit on. It really looks nicer than it sounds. Here is a link to their website: http://www.rime.ca/album.htm

I think it might be a very nice venue for word-type reading. BTW, are you a writer? I really enjoy your posts :smile:

How 'bout Memphis Blues right next to Santa Barbara Market?

604.215.2599 1342 Commercial Drive

Service is casually quick, food are super fantastic, and you can lick your fingers on your way out if you're really in a hurry. :wink:

Chemically speaking, chocolate really is the world's perfect food. --Michael Levine, nutrition researcher

Hey thanks Shellback!

Rime sounds great for a reading. I've been connecting with all these women who write poetry about food, and thought it would be nice for us to do a reading at a place that actually serves good food!

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West