• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Peppercorn Sauce

peppyre

I'm grilling a hanger steak tonight and would like to have a green peppercorn sauce with it, but, seeing as I have never made one and don't have a clue where to begin....help. What do I need for this. I have canned green peppercorns, shallots, garlic, etc...

That's too wierd ... I had hanger on Wednesday night, and also wanted the same sauce! Granted, my peppercorns were fresh, but stilll ... wierd.

I found a couple recipes on Epicurious (nothing on RecipeGullet :sad: ), but they all invovled pan-fying the steaks to get the jus, and then degalzing, etc etc AS I was grilling, there wasn't going to be any jus, per se. I suppose you could use the jus that collected as you let the steak rest after you grilled it. Beef stock? I'm grasping at straws ... :wacko:

I ended up making a green peppercorn cream sauce for some pasta and had it as a side.

Sweat a chopped shallot in butter or bacon fat. When transparent, add 3/4 cup red wine. Bring to a boil and add 1 tablespoon canned green peppercorns. Continue boiling until reduced by about half.

Ditto but use butter, deglaze with 2-3 tablespoons brandy. Add 2/3 cup white wine and reduce by 2/3. Add 1 tablespoon peppercorns and 1/3 cup heavy cream, simmer to thicken slightly.

Ditto but skip the white wine and up the cream.

Sweat a chopped shallot in butter or bacon fat. When transparent, add 3/4 cup red wine.  Bring to a boil and add 1 tablespoon canned green peppercorns. Continue boiling until reduced by about half.

Ditto but use butter, deglaze with 2-3 tablespoons brandy. Add 2/3 cup white wine and reduce by 2/3. Add 1 tablespoon peppercorns and 1/3 cup heavy cream, simmer to thicken slightly.

Ditto but skip the white wine and up the cream.

My recipe calls for all of the above and a big glob og demi glaze and a knob of butter at the end.

I don't know if its accurate I just know I love it.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I ended up letting my mom make the sauce since she neglected to inform me that she wanted to make it with almost no fat. Her husband has recently lost about 50lbs just by changing his diet and she didn't want to put excess butter in the dinner. Much to my dismay. Anyhow, she sweated the shallots in a little bit of lemon juice, added beef stock and basically made a traditional gravy, then I added the red wine and juices from the marinated steak, and added about 1/4 cup crushed green peppercorns. It was really tasty and had a huge bite to it. At the very end, we stirred in about a tsp of sour cream. Very low in fat and honestly, i didn't miss the butter.