• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Member-organized event: Heartland Gathering in MI

tammylc

July in Ann Arbor is a great time of the year – warm but not sweltering, U of M undergrads gone for the summer, yummy Michigan produce at the Farmers’ Market – which makes it a perfect setting for our next Heartland Gathering.

Our last gathering, not quite two years ago in Grand Rapids, was a blast. This year, I’ve reserved the common house at my cohousing community for all day Saturday, July 16. (There's plenty of space, but in the unlikely event of too many potential attendees, first posted = first served.)

Just as we did so successfully in Grand Rapids, some or all of us can pool our money (probably ~$15/pp), then hit the Farmers Market and other Kerrytown shops in the morning and decide as we go what to make that night. Other food contributions are enthusiastically welcomed, of course. Beverage contributions, alcoholic or otherwise, are up to each individual. Anyone who can't join us during the day but would like to attend the dinner can just chip in when you show up.

(For those who will be in Ann Arbor Friday night and/or Sunday morning, we can decide later what to do for food. We can go out or, if there aren’t too many folks, we can cook at my place. If enough people are staying over one or both nights, I can try to arrange for a discounted hotel rate.)

For the educational part of the Gathering, I’ve arranged for a Saturday tour of Zingerman's Bakehouse and Zingerman's Creamery. And, if anyone wants to shop at Zingerman's Deli (like anyone wouldn’t!), we’ll have our own “shopping assistant.”

Also, Ann Arbor is home to the Longone Center for American Culinary Research. They’re normally open only Monday – Friday until 4:45, but there may be some extended hours by Gathering time.

I'll post or PM more details (when/where to meet, directions, etc.) as the date approaches.

So, are you in? (And for what day?)

This event has been organized through the eG Forums by members but is not sponsored by the Society or its eG Forums. The event is open to all participating eGullet Society members, contributors and their guests. By participating in this event, you confirm your understanding and acceptance of the eGullet Events Policy, to which all eGullet Society members have already agreed.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

You know I'm in. (I'd better be. :hmmm: ) Ms. Alex just got a meeting scheduled for that weekend, so unfortunately it'll be just me.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

ROAD TRIP!!!

Count the Fress Man in for this one.  I can't wait to motor down I-94 for some good Yooper hospitality.

Glad you're coming, but actually we're trolls, not Yoopers. Some genuine Yoopers may indeed show up, though. :cool:

[Yoopers = natives or long-term residents of Michigan's U.P. (Upper Peninsula); trolls = folks who live under the (Mackinac) Bridge, i.e., in the Lower Peninsula.]

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

C'mon - they're must be more Heartlanders who want to enjoy some Michigan hospitality! 

Or is everyone like me and just forgets to check the pinned posts?

I'll try to make it and I will be a tranisitional Troll - Yooper.

Bode

C'mon, folks -- where's that Heartlander enthusiasm we saw two years ago?

So far:

tammylc & crew

Alex

HeatherM

Fresser & his slick PT Cruiser

BeJam

:biggrin:

I need to check my Ravinia performance schedule, and also the state of the budget. I'd love to do this, but gotta deal with some other commitments.

Then again, how often do I get to brain fellow eGulletarians with a bottle of Maker's Mark? Call me a "maybe," for the moment.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

I'm in. I will bring my new husband (we got married this last Saturday). Are non egulleteers allowed to come? Because if so, I can probably wrangle a few more local folks I know who are into food.

. . . Are non egulleteers allowed to come?  Because if so, I can probably wrangle a few more local folks I know who are into food.

Absolutely! In fact Alex and/or Tammy will make a little pitch about the eGullet society and its mission at the event. Hopefully, your food-loving friends will take the bait . . . :wink: erm, have their interests piqued and want to learn more about our society and how they can become a part of it.

From the eG Calendar and Events Policy:

Any event organized through eG Forums must be open to all Society participating members, Society donors and their guests.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

The date is definite. And as Ronnie noted, non-eGullet food lovers are definitely welcome.

Some other details:

Our tour of Zingerman's Bakehouse is scheduled for 10 am and will take about an hour, then we'll go next door to tour Zingerman's Creamery.

When we're done there we can head down to Kerrytown for lunch and supply shopping at the Farmer's Market, Sparrow Meats, Monahan's Fish (and Zingerman's Deli, of course). Then back to my place for the cooking extravaganza.

How's that sound to people?

Depending on how many people we have, I have this idea about organizing individuals or small groups to each take on the planning and preparation of a single course, and serve dinner a multiple course plated dinner instead of family style. Does that sound fun to anyone else, or am I being too ambitious?

Edited by tammylc (log)

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

R.W. Apple has a nice piece about the Longone Center for American Culinary Research in today's edition of the New York Times:

FOR anyone intrigued by the history of food on this continent, it is a collection of staggering richness and diversity: well over 20,000 items, from books to magazines to menus to advertisements, from the first American cookbook, "American Cookery," by Amelia Simmons, published in Hartford, Conn., in 1796, to a century of advertisements for Pillsbury flour, to a copy of every issue of Good Housekeeping.

It holds not only priceless volumes but also curiosities like Philomelia Ann Maria Antoinette Hardin's 1842 recipe book "particularly designed for Buckeyes, Hoosiers, Wolverines, Corncrackers, Suckers and all epicures who wish to live with the present times." (That caught my eye. I was born a Buckeye, and I grew rapidly into a sucker, if not a Sucker, for a good meal.)

Delicious Collection for Readers or Eaters

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

You can count me in (barring any changes to my work calendar. :cool:

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

Tammy,

Will this be a family friendly outting? Will Zingerman's allow small ones on the tour?

Thanks,

T.

Edited by TJHarris (log)

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

Tammy,

Will this be a family friendly outting?  Will Zingerman's allow small ones on the tour?

Thanks,

T.

How small are your small ones? The Bakehouse website says no children under 6 on the tour, and I expect the Creamery will be the same.

The common house has a big kids play room, and there's a playground just outside. And lots of friendly neighborhood kids to play with. My one year old will certainly be around for much of the day. It could be a long day for kids though - I expect we won't be eating dinner until 7-ish.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Tammy,

Will this be a family friendly outting?  Will Zingerman's allow small ones on the tour?

Thanks,

T.

How small are your small ones? The Bakehouse website says no children under 6 on the tour, and I expect the Creamery will be the same.

The common house has a big kids play room, and there's a playground just outside. And lots of friendly neighborhood kids to play with. My one year old will certainly be around for much of the day. It could be a long day for kids though - I expect we won't be eating dinner until 7-ish.

The older of the two is seven and the younger will turn six just eight days after the gathering. But you are right, it does look like a long day. Guess that they just might need a day with grandma. ;)

Tobin

Are couch-crashing privileges available for migratory Heartlanders? I'm making the jaunt early Saturday morning (tentatively with Maggie the Cat as co-pilot), so I just need one night of sleepspace.

DISCLAIMER: You haven't lived until you've seen the Fress Man with early-morning bed-head.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Are couch-crashing privileges available for migratory Heartlanders?  I'm making the jaunt early Saturday morning (tentatively with Maggie the Cat as co-pilot), so I just need one night of sleepspace.

DISCLAIMER:  You haven't lived until you've seen the Fress Man with early-morning bed-head.

Sadly, Alex has claimed the spare room, and I don't have a couch that's fit for sleeping (not to mention that it's in the living room and my little person gets up way too early).

There are three hotels very near by, at a variety of price points, including a Super 8 which should be super cheap. Or perhaps another local can offer crash space?

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Are couch-crashing privileges available for migratory Heartlanders?  I'm making the jaunt early Saturday morning (tentatively with Maggie the Cat as co-pilot), so I just need one night of sleepspace.

DISCLAIMER:  You haven't lived until you've seen the Fress Man with early-morning bed-head.

Sadly, Alex has claimed the spare room, and I don't have a couch that's fit for sleeping (not to mention that it's in the living room and my little person gets up way too early).

There are three hotels very near by, at a variety of price points, including a Super 8 which should be super cheap. Or perhaps another local can offer crash space?

Tammy,

I'm happy to crash on the living room floor. And don't worry about the munchkin running about in the early morn--I'm known as the unofficial babysitter of the Heartland. :laugh:

Also, I have a hunch that my co-pilot Maggie might need accommodations as well. Maybe we can all pitch a tent and eat pastrami under the stars!

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com