• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Puree Suggestions

vogelap

I am in the process of designing a menu for a dinner party we're throwing for a food writer, another chef, and their spouses.

The menu is mostly designed around a bit of a Spring theme, but I've got a question I'd like your help with. Owing to the large number of courses, servings will be quite small.

Here's what I've got planned:

* Bruschetta with Goat Cheese, Roasted Red Pepper, and Fresh Basil

* Foie Gras with Mushroom Duxelle on Puff Pastry with Morel Sauce

* Shrimp Cocktail with Serrano-Mint Sauce -*or*-

* Halibut with Fennel, Carrots, Lemon, and Garlic

* Pecorino Ravioli with Marjoram and Walnuts

* Apple and Chestnut Soup with Spiced Cream (not Spring-y, I know, but it's a fav)

* Asparagus with Sauce Maltaise

* Roast Leg of Lamb With Mint, Garlic, and Lima Bean Puree

* Pink Grapefruit Terrine

* Chocolate 'flowers' with Almond Pound Cake, White Chocolate Mousse, Fresh Fruit, and Melba Sauce

* Raspberry Chocolate Truffles

The problem is with the Lima Bean Puree. My wife hates lima beans. I want to do another puree, but am looking for suggestions that will compliment the rest of the menu.

Here's the question -- what would be a good substitute puree?

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant

Turnip (Navet) is traditional with lamb, but any root vegetable such as celeriac or a well buttered new potato puree would be nice.

I'd leave out the mint from the shrimp cocktail. Its too dominant. Why mess with a classic?

Are you sure about the Maltaise with the lamb? Might do better with the asparagus as a seperate course, or maybe a bearnaise.

You've a lot of food there, and many courses quite high in fat. Tiny portions, or people will blow up...

Thanks for the insight. I appreciate your response!

Hrm. Celeriac... Hadn't thought of that one. Thanks. Turnips sound like the best call (and are, as you mentioned, classic) for the puree. How would you season it?

Yes, tiny portions are the order of the day for this meal... We're putting the admonition to "Pace Yourself" on the top of the invitation. :biggrin:

The high fat content is an issue. I love Foie Gras, and so does this particular group. If you don't mind, do you have any suggestions for ways to 'trim the fat' in this menu? I'd like to hear your opinion.

Still not certain about the Maltaise either; my wife is intrigued by it. I'd like to switch to your suggestion, bearnaise. We'll see if I get outvoted.

The ravioli are also being considered for exclusion...

I am sorta leaning toward the halibut over the shrimp because it's a nicer presentation and is also make-ahead.

Do you have any suggestions on the ordering of elements? I put the order that I'm considering, but will consider any suggestions.

Edited by vogelap (log)

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant

I think the halibut sounds much better than the shrimp here. Much lighter. Do you need a puree for the lamb really? If you go with the asparagus (a personal favorite of mine with lamb) then could you go with an fresh herb sauce for the lamb with mint, garlic and parsley with OO?

You could also lighten up some by serving the asparagus without the sauce, maybe with a drizzle of lemon or truffle oil?

By the way, your menu does sound fabulous and your guests, no matter how jaded, are lucky to have your talents serving them for an evening!

**disclaimer, I'm only a home cook so this is based on personal preference only***:blush:

Does your wife like fava beans? Sort of like lima beans, only in-season, and many times more delicious...

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

hmm... lighter version:

- leave out the goats cheese, just do a veggy bruschetta?

- Omit the puff pastry. Does it really need it? Maybe a sweet gelly?

* Shrimp Cocktail with Serrano-Mint Sauce -*or*-

* Halibut with Fennel, Carrots, Lemon, and Garlic

- yum! I'd also go for the halibut

* Pecorino Ravioli with Marjoram and Walnuts

- OK, but could be a lighter filling?

* Apple and Chestnut Soup with Spiced Cream (not Spring-y, I know, but it's a fav)

- OK. Where do you get the ingredients, this time of year?

* Asparagus with Sauce Maltaise

- Good suggestions in the posts. I'd like the new season potatoes, and maybe baby fava beans. Hope the lamb is long time low temperature cooked. Mint sauce

* Chocolate 'flowers' with Almond Pound Cake, White Chocolate Mousse, Fresh Fruit, and Melba Sauce

- OK...does it need all this? Could you omit the white chocolate mousse or swap it for something lighter, say a vanilla gelatine foam?

- Who can resist?

So the only real suggestions are to omit the cheese and the puff pastry.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

There's a great Tuscan bean puree in Cucina Simpatica, a.k.a. the Al Forno cookbook, with rosemary, EVOO, and garlic. It's smooth, great with lamb, and might change your wife's mind about beans and purees -- though it's not as spring-like as you might want.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

First off, thanks to EVERYONE who has replied to my request! Your time and thoughts are appreciated!

I think the halibut sounds much better than the shrimp here.  Much lighter.  Do you need a puree for the lamb really?  If you go with the asparagus (a personal favorite of mine with lamb) then could you go with an fresh herb sauce for the lamb with mint, garlic and parsley with OO?

By the way, your menu does sound fabulous and your guests, no matter how jaded, are lucky to have your talents serving them for an evening!

**disclaimer, I'm only a home cook so this is based on personal preference only***:blush:

Thanks for your encouraging comments about my menu. I hope it's as good as I imagine it will be! I wouldn't say that the guests are jaded, they're more-informed feeders than a lot of folks; they'll 'get it'!

I've decided, based on the advice here, to go with the halibut over the shrimp.

I do want to have a puree behind the lamb, so removing it isn't an option.

Does your wife like fava beans?  Sort of like lima beans, only in-season, and many times more delicious...

I'll have to think about fava beans...

Leek puree would go well, too, I think.

Oh! I like leeks. That would add a very nice element to this dish. I have to say, this has leapt to the forefront of my thinking for the puree. I've also found a version that is much lower in fat than the lima beans (which had some cream in).

hmm... lighter version:

- leave out the goats cheese, just do a veggy bruschetta?

- Omit the puff pastry. Does it really need it? Maybe a sweet gelly?

- OK. Where do you get the ingredients, this time of year?

- Good suggestions in the posts. I'd like the new season potatoes, and maybe baby fava beans. Hope the lamb is long time low temperature cooked. Mint sauce

- OK...does it need all this? Could you omit the white chocolate mousse or swap it  for something lighter, say a vanilla gelatine foam?

- Who can resist?

So the only real suggestions are to omit the cheese and the puff pastry.

Oh, I just love goat cheese! I may reduce the amount of it in the bruschetta, but I'd hate to lose it altogether, though I will consider your suggestion as I think about it more.

The foie gras is a variation of a delicious dish I've tried at a local restaurant. I'll have to think about losing the puff pastry...

The Apple & Chestnut Soup has been a bit contentious. My wife's point is that it's her very favorite soup that I make. Mine is that it is not. seasonal. at. all. I wanted to do a Carrot Soup with Tarragon and Citrus instead, but she said that sounded "gross" (we're working on her adventurous-eating habits). The fact that the Apple Chestnut soup isn't seasonal and sticks out like a sore thumb on this menu does not phase her. I cannot use availabilty of ingredients to get out of this one since we're very fortunate to have a great market near our house where we can get all the ingredients for this soup (despite the season). Darnit. :smile:

You can be assured that the lamb will be roasted low-n-slow! The lamb will be butterflied and stuffed with a mixture of mint, rosemary, parsley, and garlic. Do you still recommend mint sauce even with the mint inside? I am willing to do it; I just worry about too much mint.

Regarding desserts... I am not a chocolate dessert lover; my wife is. I am currently enamored with the pink grapefruit terrine that I saw Jacques Pepin demonstrate, so I wanted to try that, though my plan was to make them QUITE small (more an intermezzo than a true dessert), but I am willing to lose that dessert. The chocolate 'flowers' are simple, attractive, and easy. I think I'll get rid of the terrine...

The truffles are to be noshed while we sit around and chat, post meal.

Edited by vogelap (log)

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

Carrot/sorrel/ginger soup would also be appropriate and the lemony tang of the sorrel and the slight spiciness of the ginger is great for palate "sparking" between the fattier courses.

Carrot/Sorrel/Ginger Soup

Serves: 6 to 8

2 tablespoons canola or light olive oil

3/4 cup chopped onion or half onion/half shallots

1 1/2 tablespoons grated or minced fresh ginger

4 cups shredded carrots, firmly packed

2 cups chopped sorrel, loosely packed

4 cups vegetable or chicken stock or water

kosher salt and pepper to taste

1/2 cup half and half

chiffonade basil leaves

In a large saucepan or evasee heat the oil over medium heat.

Add the onion and ginger, sauté until the onion is transparent but not browned. Remove the onion/ginger and set aside.

Add the carrots and sauté, stirring often, for about 8 minutes, until the carrots begin to soften.

Add the sorrel and toss with the carrots.

Return the shallot/ginger to the pan, mix well.

Add the stock or water.

Increase heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil then reduce to a simmer.

Cover the pan and simmer for minutes, until the carrots are soft and mash easily with a fork.

Remove the pan from heat and allow to cool until just warm.

Transfer the soup to a blender (blend 2 cups at a time) and strain through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan.

When all has been blended and strained, place over medium heat, stirring constantly until the soup just begins to simmer.

If the soup is quite thick, add a little hot water and blend in.

Stir in the half and half and blend well.

Serve with basil chiffonade scattered on top.

May also be served in mugs with cinnamon toast points on the side as a starter.

Orginal Recipe by Andie

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Jean-Georges does an excellent mushroom dusted boneless rack of lamb with a brilliant green leek puree. I've made this several times and the leek has the substance to stand up to the lamb but isn't as "heavy" as a bean puree might be. I think it fits well with the pseduo-spingy theme.

All excellent suggestions. Everyone has been most helpful!

Thanks for the soup recipe. I may swap that in! I like the way that sounds.

Also, back to the puree question... What are your (all of you) thoughts about a PEA PUREE with the lamb? Last night, I worked an event at my culinary school and we did a very nice pea puree under our dish that got me thinking.

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

Also, back to the puree question... What are your (all of you) thoughts about a PEA PUREE with the lamb? Last night, I worked an event at my culinary school and we did a very nice pea puree under our dish that got me thinking.

Of course you can do the pea puree. When I saw the first post of the thread this morning, I was wondering if that bulb was going to light downthread.

It's SPRING! Do the peas.

Of course you can do the pea puree. When I saw the first post of the thread this morning, I was wondering if that bulb was going to light downthread.

It's SPRING! Do the peas.

Hi Michael!

After tasting the pea pureee at the event, I've pretty much decided that the taste and color are just right for the recipe, and that's what I'll do.

It was nice to see you at the event, Michael! I think I still owe you a drink, don't I?

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

• 1 month later...

Last night (Saturday, June 4, 2005) was the dinner I'd been planning for a while. The menu changed considerably since I posted the first cut above. I appreciate everyone's assistance with this menu, and am anxious to hear your thoughts on what we had. Here's what we ended up with:

* Boursin Stuffed Mushrooms with Panko

Peach Bellini

* Foie Gras & Mushroom Duxelle with Shiraz & Cabernet Reduction

Lunu di Luna Chardonnay Pinot Grigio Champagne

* Garlic Veloute with Croutons & Prosciutto

Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc/Viognier, 2003

* Red Snapper Gravlax with Cucumber & Tomato

Adelsheim Vineyard Oregon Pinot Gris, 2003

* Lemon Sorbet -- Intermezzo

* Loin of Spring Lamb in Provence Crust with Dijon Mustard

Roasted Garlic and White Bean Puree

Spring Asparagus

Liberty School Cabernet Sauvignon, California, 2003

* Cheese Course:

- Holland Smoked Gouda

- 'Laughing Cow' Swiss

- French Munster Haxaire

- French Four Pepper Goat Cheese

- Danish Blue

* Chocolate Chestnut Cake with Melba Sauce

Key Lime Pie

Chocolate Raspberry Truffle

Saracco Moscato D'Asti, 2003

Edited by vogelap (log)

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

Wow. NO replies?

-drew

www.drewvogel.com