• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reasonable but good sushi

*Deborah*

I'm going for a sushi lunch with some young, student-y friends next Saturday.

They're poor (and I'm trying to save my $$ for my upcoming vacation), so we're looking for a place that's not too pricey. Scott spent a year in Japan, though, and Yuki is Japanese, so it's important that it's good stuff rather than all-you-can-eat Robot sushi.

Can you guys recommend a place where we could get away for maybe $20/person for lunch? and if it were a place with a conveyor, that would be extra-good. I used to go to Ichibankan on Thurlow, but the last few times, it just wasn't that good...I haven't been in more than a year though, so if someone has a good recent review then that would be a worthwhile option. Other than that, I expect we'll go to Tsunami, as it's central and not too expensive.

Does anyone have any better ideas? I've heard good things about Yuji's, but I'm not sure if it's in our price range or not :unsure:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Sorry to horn in on your thread Deborah, but it brought to mind a question I've had forever. And maybe the answer will help you.

What's the deal with Samurai Sushi on Cambie south of 41st across the street from Oakridge? The place is always lined out the door. We stopped in at seven on Sunday night. Didn't stay because of the line. The place is literally a hole in the wall. Maybe fifteen seats, primarily a takeout business. Menu was pretty standard, roll combos sushi plates, reasonable prices , not expensive, but not cheap enough to justify the lines either. Anyone know the story here? It seems whenever we go by that there's a line. Perhaps because that neighbourhood is underserved by restaurants?

I've noticed the same thing and it makes me laugh too. I think it's the fact there really isn't anything else in that area. But then again, I haven't actually eaten there.

Deborah, I would go with Tsunami. It's probably your best bet.

My favorite cheap sushi place is Shiro on 15th and Cambie, yucked into a rather sad looking strip mall. Friendly service, awesome food (especially the California Roll with real crab instead of that terrible imitation crap) and interesting daily specials. We are huge eaters and never pay more than $30 for Dinner.

I'm not sure if they are open for lunch, though.

The belly rules the mind.

^

It's the result of student budgets and large quantities of food. I personally don't like it because the rolls are made massive mostly because of the packed-on rice, but my friends seem to think it's good value for the size. :huh: Their salmon sashimi is decent.

Samurai-huge portions of Albacore/farmed Salmon-somebody brought some to my place once-I ate some Tuna it was ok.

Deborah-there is nowhere worth eating in-Please don't mention Tsunami-and why take people who have eaten the stuff in Japan for a mediocre lunch?

Why not something distinctly Canadian-a burger joint/that F&C place in False Creek or the like?

Kaide on richard's near pacific is the best inexpensive sushi I've had evar.

Really excellent quality fish, and very cheap too. For anything on the casual sushi level, easily the best place I've been to. Lunch combos are start at $9 and are fairly generous.

The $16 assorted combo comes with uni and chopped scallop, and the $11.50 chirashi is awesome.

Well, Sam, because we all like sushi, and we don't usually hang around with others who like sushi, so we thought we'd all get together and have some sushi!

:wink:

I am not looking for the Holy Grail or Morimoto or anything, but just some other ideas...Btw, I have had really excellent tuna sashimi at Tsunami (although now I have to go and look back at that endangered list, no doubt it was a tuna on the NO list :sad:)...They're Vancouver/Seattle kids, btw, not like they're strangers to hamburgers :biggrin:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Kaide on richard's near pacific is the best inexpensive sushi I've had evar.

Really excellent quality fish, and very cheap too. For anything on the casual sushi level,  easily the best place I've been to. Lunch combos are start at $9 and are fairly generous.

The $16 assorted combo comes with uni and chopped scallop, and the $11.50 chirashi is awesome.

Oh, yeah, I should go there, it's right in my uber 'hood and everything :smile:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Samurai Sushi on 41st and Cambie--the big draw is the size of those rolls.

I eat at Samurai Restaurant on David quite often--it's not the same chain, and the fish is quite fresh. I had some really good ika there a few days ago.

Bistro Sakana in Yaletown seems to be really popular at lunch time. I paid about $20/person there, and they also have cheaper lunch boxes too.

I eat at Samurai Restaurant on David quite often--it's not the same chain, and the fish is quite fresh. I had some really good ika there a few days ago.

Uh, is this some new sushi-on-a-naked-man club that you haven't told us about yet? :hmmm:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Uh, is this some new sushi-on-a-naked-man club that you haven't told us about yet? :hmmm:

And Dammit, :laugh: Why haven't I been invited yet!! :laugh:

Ha!

Well, they serve it on women, don't they?

Careful with those chopsticks, ladies.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Oops....DAVIE! :blush: You know what I mean! :raz:

yeah samurai on davie is quite good and fairly inexpensive. there was another place down on denman and robson called musashi that was really good but haven't been there in a while... anyone been and have a recent review?

My favorite cheap sushi place is Shiro on 15th and Cambie, yucked into a rather sad looking strip mall. Friendly service, awesome food (especially the California Roll with real crab instead of that terrible imitation crap) and interesting daily specials. We are huge eaters and never pay more than $30 for Dinner.

I eat at Shiro a lot. I know it's a bit out of the way for you Deborah, but I think it's worth it. Here's my report from my Blog (CLICK)

Deborah-there is nowhere worth eating in-Please don't mention Tsunami-and why take people who have eaten the stuff in Japan for a mediocre lunch?

Cummon Sam. Don't hold back ... tell us how you really feel! :raz:

A.

yeah samurai on davie is quite good and fairly inexpensive.  there was another place down on denman and robson called musashi that was really good but haven't been there in a while... anyone been and have a recent review?

I used to really enjoy Musashi also. Home style food with good and reasonably priced sushi. I remember you could a bowl of rice topped with a healthly portion of uni - oh yummy. But the caveat above holds for me also - I have'nt been back for a while. Perhaps I will conduct some reconnaissance for you....

I had lunch today at Black Tuna Japanese Bistro (located upstairs at 202 - 1184 Denman St. ph: 604-408-7557). I had been wanting to try this place since I first heard about it because I used to adore the yam tempura rolls (waaaaay different than anything else out there by the same name) that were served at Taka. :wub:

Unfortunately, I didn't see it on the menu, nor did I see Jacob anywhere around, so did not get to re-live some fond sushi memories. However, the food is fairly reasonably priced (I'd put it around the same mark as Shiro or a bit above) and it was very good and beautifully presented.

After getting over my disappointment about the yam rolls, I decided to keep it simple with a sushi combo: California roll, salmon (wild), tuna and ebi. Served with a very nice miso soup. It was all good... the tuna, I think, was lightly seared on the outside. But I could be mistaken. Maybe it's just a type of tuna I've never had before. Very tasty all the same. I also tried the spinach gomae as I loved the sauce they used at Taka... not quite the same and had to go through a bit of a rig-o-ma-roll with the waitress re: peanuts but it was beautifully presented and quite tasty. I think they may normally serve it with a peanut sauce so anyone else out there with an allergy would be wise to check.

The lunch boxes are quite cool too as they come two tiered. The Black Tuna standard box has either chicken or beef teriyaki, rice, 3 pieces of california roll, tuna and salmon sushi, about 5 or 6 pieces of good looking tempura and salad. I think that's it. Served with miso to start as well. It was $9.95 which for the amount of food was very good value.

They have an extensive menu.... many different types of tempura offered a la carte which I haven't seen elsewhere and a lot of very interesting rolls which were a bit pricey at the $8 - $10 mark but probably worth it. Tim Pawsey did a review in the Courier in February: Tim Pawsey review of Black Tuna

Didn't mean to hijack this thread but thought I'd put the good word in about Black Tuna while it was fresh on my mind. I know that I'll be going back soon to try some other items on their menu.

Oh and if you are feeling like venturing out to the Cambie area, I third the vote for Shiro... one of my all time favs! :wub:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I've heard good things about Yuji's, but I'm not sure if it's in our price range or not :unsure:

Yuji's is definitely one of my favourite spots for Japanese; unfortunately, it's only open at dinnertime. Make the trek across the bridge and try it one night!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I eat at Shiro a lot. I know it's a bit out of the way for you Deborah, but I think it's worth it. Here's my report from my Blog (CLICK)

Cummon Sam. Don't hold back ... tell us how you really feel! :raz:

A.

I go to Shiro's a lot too. Whenever anyone asks me to recommend a place to go for sushi, Shiro's is at the top of my list. Their sushi is inexpensive and fresh. Plus you get a package of Pocky when you get the bill.

They are open for lunch, but are closed on Tuesdays.

It might be too far out of your way but what about Aji-sai in Kerrisdale? The only downside is the small space - but more than compensated for by the excellent sushi. It is hard to find if you don't know where to look - but it is in what I can only describe as a mews - that is a sort of sidewalk running through the block from 42nd beside London Drugs to the alley and then out to 41st Avenue. I think the sushi there is wonderful; certainly fresh. The only thing they don't do is tempura. But I don't eat tempura so I have never seen it as a downside.

Cheers,

Karole

I second Aji-sai. The sushi is extremely fresh - the only downside is that they do not serve "hot" food, only edamame and miso soup (I don't think they have a proper kitchen). But the quality of the sushi and sashimi more than makes up for the smaller menu.

I'm going to have to try Aji-sai again after the notes here and in other threads. Last time I ate there (close to when they opened), the chef was extremely rude to his waitresses (spoke to them in Japanese so only those who understand would have a clue) (sorry M, but it's true) and the food was a bit different than expected. Not that this is a bad thing (food, not communication), just different. As an example, the dynamite rolls are not fried and served rolled in corn flakes as I recall. I think they tasted oka - good, not great but can't quite recall specifics.

Other items on the menu were quite tasty.

One of the servers used to work at Taka (obviously one of my favs, as you'll note if you read elsewhere in this forum), and she is great.

I'll need to go there again to see how things are these days.

And thus... a new thread is spawned.... where and when to get the best sushi in Vancouver.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown