• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Burger Weekend

Tim Dolan

I had the chance try a few burger places this weekend. The place I wanted to try the most, Good Dog, didn't open until 4, and I stopped by on Sunday around 2. Bad Dog! Anyway, on to my first review, Hamburger Mary's...

I spent Sat afternoon at the Franklin Institute (which is awesome, by the way) and was craving a burger by 5 pm, so me and my girlfriend walked to Hamburger Mary's. We weren't going there as a destination, I was just in the mood for a burger, and when you see a place called Hamburger Mary's, well, you get the picture.

Mary's is a very colorful place, and it had a small crowd on this afternoon. We were seated almost as soon as we walked in, and things only got worse from there. Since I didn't get a good look at the bar, I asked our waitress what kind of bottled beer they had to offer. My response was "well we have so many do you kind of know what you want?" My initial response was going to be "well, no, since I don't know what you have" but I'm a nice guy, so I went with a Yuengling. Maybe our waitress was just tired after a long day, but it didn't look very crowded so who knows.

When it came time to order, I asked for a burger with swiss and bacon, medium, no lettuce tomato and pickle. The waitress asked me if I wanted a BBQ bacon burger. Again, my intial reaction should've been "well if I wanted a BBQ bacon burger I would've asked for it" but I was in a good mood, and I like BBQ sauce, so I said sure I'll have that. My girlfriend also got the BBQ bacon burger, but ordered hers well done. We split chicken fingers. The chicken fingers were fine, hard to mess up chicken fingers. The burgers however...

First off, they came out wrong. Since I didn't see any lettuce, tomato, or pickle, I dove in first being I was pretty damn hungry. Something tasted funny. My girlfriend bit hers about 3 seconds later, and was grossed out because hers wasn't cooked all the way. Obviously she got the medium, and I had her well done. We switched, I took off the veggies, looked at the burger, and it was a shade past rare. And there was RUSSIAN DRESSING on it. I think russian dressing is just gross. Apparently all their burgers come with russian dressing (what's up with that?) unless you order it without. I should've stuck to my guns. I got through half of my burger then threw in the towel, I just couldn't deal with the russian.

It might (or might not) be worth mentioning that the host (a guy) winked at me as we were seated. Also while we ate there were little flat screen tv's throughout the place that played Cher's greatest hits on repeat. If this is your cup of tea then by all means go and knock your socks off. I got quite a chuckle out of it. If Hamburger Mary's had good food, I would certainly go back for it. This wasn't the case, so Hamburger Mary's will be a one and done for me.

My second trip of the weekend was going to be Good Dog, but like I said, they were closed so we walked around the corner to the Black Sheep. This place was much more my speed. When we walked in I think there were maybe 7 other people in there so we ate right at the bar. I ordered a burger with bacon and swiss, medium, and was delighted that I was not second guessed by the bartender. My gf got chicken fingers. Like I said chicken fingers are hard to mess up, and Black Sheep didn't. The burger was great. Nice and big, cooked perfect, good fries. I also had a Guiness or two, and it must be the pressure from the Sheep's tap, but it was one of the best I've had in recent memory. It took about 3 to 4 minutes to settle, not 45 seconds like most bars.

I will most definitely be back at the Sheep. A very no nonsense place with both a mean burger and a mean pint of Guiness. If you like flair and bells and whistles to go with your average burger, head to Hamburger Mary's. If you want really good food in a modest, laid back bar, the Black Sheep is hard to beat.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

Hmm, the Hamburger Mary's place sounds like it certainly has an interesting vibe to it, and I have to give props to any place that will serve a rare burger anymore. I might have to check it out... then again, I like russian dressing (and I suppose I'm about due to give Cher another shot).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

i've been singing the praises of the black sheep's burger for a while. one time i had one and could have sworn it was the best i've had. other times i've had them and they've been merely damn good. for some reason in recent years my tastes have changed and i focus on the burger more than the combination of burger and bun, and i feel like the light, eggy brioche roll they (and good dog) serve theirs on lets the real taste of the burger come through more than a larger, heavier kaiser would.

(edited to say that their fries alternate between too brown and soggy and really great--lightly browned, crisp on the outside. but i don't feel like fries are worth it unless i know they're going to be great, so i generally don't order them. sounds like you got good ones)

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

First off, they came out wrong. Since I didn't see any lettuce, tomato, or pickle, I dove in first being I was pretty damn hungry. Something tasted funny. My girlfriend bit hers about 3 seconds later, and was grossed out because hers wasn't cooked all the way. Obviously she got the medium, and I had her well done. We switched, I took off the veggies, looked at the burger, and it was a shade past rare. And there was RUSSIAN DRESSING on it. I think russian dressing is just gross. Apparently all their burgers come with russian dressing (what's up with that?) unless you order it without. I should've stuck to my guns. I got through half of my burger then threw in the towel, I just couldn't deal with the russian.

First off, pre-placed condiments of any kind on a burger is a major pet peeve of mine. In fact I'm a firm believer that condiments shouldn't be pre-placed on any food unless done so by request. So much food I've had to return that was smothered in mayonnaise either by surprise or despite my requests for no mayo. This "condiment sabotoage" is only worsened when there is no mention of it on the menu.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

There is (or was) a Hamburger Mary's here in Washington, D.C. and it's, I believe, part of a chain from California. The one in D.C. is gay friendly (they all may be) so that may have been why the male host winked at you. I ate there only once and it was a horrible experience like yours, with lousy service, and the food both wrong and bad. I wouldn't go back because of the food and service.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

There is (or was) a Hamburger Mary's here in Washington, D.C. and it's, I believe, part of a chain from California.  The one in D.C. is gay friendly (they all may be) so that may have been why the male host winked at you.

Change that "may be" to "are." Many, including the one in Philly, are gay-owned. Each has its own distinct look, though.

The first Hamburger Mary's was located in (where else?) San Francisco. That one is now closed. There are currently 12 locations across the country, most--but not all--in cities with highly visible gay communities.

The voiceover on the corporate Web site "About Us" page explains that "Mary knew that she and her friends--friends of Mary, friends of Dorothy, they're all the same--needed a place where they could eat, drink and have fun in a comfortable atmosphere."

IOW, it's been gay-friendly from the get-go (1972).

--Sandy, friend of Dorothy

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

There is (or was) a Hamburger Mary's here in Washington, D.C. and it's, I believe, part of a chain from California.  The one in D.C. is gay friendly (they all may be) so that may have been why the male host winked at you.

Change that "may be" to "are." Many, including the one in Philly, are gay-owned. Each has its own distinct look, though.

The first Hamburger Mary's was located in (where else?) San Francisco. That one is now closed. There are currently 12 locations across the country, most--but not all--in cities with highly visible gay communities.

The voiceover on the corporate Web site "About Us" page explains that "Mary knew that she and her friends--friends of Mary, friends of Dorothy, they're all the same--needed a place where they could eat, drink and have fun in a comfortable atmosphere."

IOW, it's been gay-friendly from the get-go (1972).

--Sandy, friend of Dorothy

What is the purpose of a gay hamburger chain? Is there some technique or preparation that distinguishes it from a straight hambuger establishment?

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

The differentiation is more from the marketing / decor end, and therefore relative to the target demographic.

One would think that one's desire for a burger is completely independent of sexual orientation.

We've all gotta eat!

What is the purpose of a gay hamburger chain?  Is there some technique or preparation that distinguishes it from a straight hambuger establishment?

Well, for one, I am certain that some establishments make homosexual couples feel unwelcome, and such couple would rather patronize establishments in which they are not felt to feel second-class.

On another level, have you ever eaten at a gay-diner? My favorite diner I have ever been to is the 'French Quarter' in West Hollywood in Los Angeles. It is an extremely homosexually oriented places, almost entirely run and patronized by the gay community. The atmosphere, service, quality of food, and general feeling of the place is second to none. As much as I love greek and turkish diners, given me a gay diner anyday.... actually, I wonder what would happen if a group of homosexual greeks decided to open up a place...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

The differentiation is more from the marketing / decor end, and therefore relative to the target demographic.

One would think that one's desire for a burger is completely independent of sexual orientation.

We've all gotta eat!

For some people, their individual desire for a burger may well be overpowered by how comfortable/not he/she feels in a particular establishment, whether or not it is the direct/indirect effect of what effect the establishment is consciously attempting to develop.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

For some people, their individual desire for a burger may well be overpowered by how comfortable/not  he/she feels in a particular establishment, whether or not it is the direct/indirect effect of what effect the establishment is consciously attempting to develop.

Let me translate this:

Sometimes I want to eat, drink and be merry. Any old burger joint will do.

Sometimes I want to eat, drink and be Mary. Can't do that at Moriarty's.

And there are straight people out there who are cool with the latter.

I remember Silveri's as extremely gay friendly. Judy's has always been a 50-50, 60-40 mix of patrons. is there aleady a "gay friendly establishments" topic? if so, recent contributions to this burger topic will likely migrate.

Edited by jmbrightman (log)

I remember Silveri's as extremely gay friendly.  Judy's has always been a 50-50, 60-40 mix of patrons.  is there aleady a "gay friendly establishments" topic?  if so, recent contributions to this burger topic will likely migrate.

Silveri's was extremely gay-friendly. That, I'll bet, is why Joey Venuti got a hold of it in order to transform it into a somewhat seedy black gay bar (I'll spare you the rant on this subject; it's not really appropriate for this forum).

And no, there's not an official discussion on this topic.

Maybe I should start one.

There's a Hamburger Mary in Sacramento. Good burgers, good service, but nothing spectacular. I heard afterwards, that it was supposed to be a gay hangout, but I never noticed anything like that, or otherwise unusual: it just seemed like a nice, well-decorated place with decent burgers. Mind you, I don't have a very good gaydar. I guess Hamburger Mary's is a gay, or gay-friendly chain, then? That's pretty neat.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally had a hamburger at Hamburger Mary's this past Thursday. It was my "Dining Out for Life" meal.

My thoughts on the place?

Since HM packs 'em in on busy lunch days--the owners told me there was a half-hour wait for lunch that day--your best bet if you want attentive, efficient service is to go there during the post-lunch lull.

It seemed to me that they've heard the feedback on the fries and improved them. While they tasted like they came from frozen fries, they had the proper texture--crispy outside, tender inside--and IMO held their own with Mickey D's.

I ordered the Proud Mary too, which--at 3/4 pound of meat before cooking--is one hefty burger. If your waiter, waitress or bartender (yes, you can eat the regular menu at the bar in the restaurant) forgets to ask you how you want your burger, ask for it rare. The default degree of doneness is well done, at which point the burgers got a little dry. But they had good flavor, and the Cheddar/Monterey Jack cheese blend that tops many of them is better than the cheese you find on many burgers these days.

I also had a cup of chicken noodle soup (offered to me by the bartender when the person who had ordered it--an acquaintance--left without touching it). This was a decent soup, mostly chunks of freshly roasted chicken breast and veggies, with very delicate noodles.

The staff are very friendly, and the decor is '70s funky for sure. As I ate at the bar, I didn't get my check in a stiletto pump.

Like Sono Motoyama, I'd definitely drop my dime here again, and would recommend it to friends except when it's super-busy. Just remember to ask for your burger rare.

I thought I had a review of this place here but I guess not.

I thought the server I had was reasonably good, but pretty new. I give her credit for trying.

She comped my burger when the kitchen printer jammed or something, causing 1/2 hr delay with the burger.

She didn't know a whole lot, but at mostly sandwiches and such, she's probably okay.

I value attitude more than anything, and she at least tried and was fairly pleasant.

But I sat at a table and didn't get my check in a stiletto.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Wednesday night I had the best new burger in town, at the Grey Lodge Kitchen, 6235 Frankford. Big and beefy angus burger, great aroma and texture, a half pounder, with fried onions, mustard and ketchup and pickles. Easily the best burger I've had this year, and i've had a few really good burgers, but this number is one of the best in the city right now. No pun intended, but holy cow , it's really good.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"