• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver restaurants

limewine

I'm working on a story for a regional magazine about restaurants that emphasize fresh, local and seasonal produce on their menus. In particular, I'm looking for places that have special growing arrangements with local farmers, or that operate small farm plots on their own to provide produce for the restaurant.

I'm in Seattle, and know which places I'll cover here, but I'm looking for recommendations on Vancouver restaurants that are really doing something notable or special with local produce. (I'm also looking for places in Portland, and Montana or Idaho--I'm posting notes in those forums, too, but if anybody here has a suggestion, give a shout.)

Thanks,

Paul

Paul Clarke

Seattle

The Cocktail Chronicles

Hi Paul-

C Restaurant uses sustainable and locally caught fish whenever possible-

Chef Robert Clarke is very committed to these principles

I thinks Bishop's uses exclusively organic- seasonal, local etc...

Owner John Bishop made a documentary on GMO's and Industrial vs Sustainable Agriculture called Deconstructing Supper.

David Hawksworth at West is also noted for using local and seasonal ingredients-He might be good to talk to.

I am pretty sure that Rob Feenie (Lumiere) has agreements with local farmers to grow specific crops...not that he needs the exposure :raz:

In fact, I suspect a lot of chefs in Vancouver are doing this kind of sourcing with local farmers and provisioners of foraged food etc. Maybe some of our forum's chefs could shed some light?

I would also suggest you contact farmfolk/cityfolk for some more information. A couple of people from there started the Glorious Garnish and Salad Company, which works with Fraser Common Farm Co-op to provide local chefs with local, organic produce - and I know they work with A LOT of local chefs.

Here is the farmfolk/city folk address:

http://www.ffcf.bc.ca

Happy Hunting!

Oh- and I hope you post the story- we would love to see it.

Ann

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

To Ann and Canucklehead's list you may wish to add chef Andrea Carlsen at Raincity Grill. Brent Hayman is the GM.

At Mission Hill Winery in Kelowna, chef Michael Allemeier and at Fresco, chef Rod Butters. In Whistler, Chef bernard Casavant of Chef Bernard's, who can lead you to North Arm Farms and other growers in the Pemberton Valley.

Good luck,

Jamie

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Aphrodite's Organic Cafe on West 4th Avenue is owned by a fellow who is a shareholder in Glen Valley Organic Farm.

Here's a link to the (very lowtech) cafe website: Aphrodite's

and a link to the farm: Glen Valley Organic Farm

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Daidoco, in Victoria, uses traditional-Japanese organic greens from Umi Nami Farm in Metchosin. (I believe Umi Nami also supplies Tojo's in Vancouver.)

Edited by Memo (log)

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

It is nice to see that people are beginning to notice this and appreciate it. This has been the focus for us at Fiction for a few years, originally inspired by an article I read by John Bishop easily more than 10 years ago. He would have to be noted as an instigator (2 minute penalty) of this movement.

The previous poster was correct, many of the chefs are working this way, notable misses so far (besides fiction, of course) are Chef Andrey at Parkside, Chef Scotty at Pear Tree, and what about Michael and Heidi at Joie, in Naramata? They have that fantastic cooking school/B&B where they do feasts all centred on the local artisinal producers.

Hope this helps, please keep spreading the message. We have a bounty here and a responsibility to keep our farmers supported for the fantastic work they're doing.

Owner

Winebar @ Fiction

Lucy Mae Brown

Century - modern latin -