• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where do Vancouver's off duty chefs eat?

appreciator

One day, long ago (in a land far, far away - oh, sorry, I digress :biggrin: ).... I heard a rumour (yes, the ugly word) that a number of well-known (and some not-so well known :laugh: ) Vancouver chefs like to frequent the Fortune Garden Restaurant (Broadway and Granville) for a meal when they are off duty. Can this be true?

Regardless.... I'm also curious to know where those who cook professionally, 5-6 days/nights a week, go, for a meal out. Either after your gig in the kitchen, or on your night(s) off.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

One day, long ago (in a land far, far away - oh, sorry, I digress  :biggrin: ).... I heard a rumour (yes, the ugly word) that a number of well-known (and some not-so well known  :laugh: ) Vancouver chefs like to frequent the Fortune Garden Restaurant (Broadway and Granville) for a meal when they are off duty.  Can this be true?

Regardless.... I'm also curious to know where those who cook professionally, 5-6 days/nights a week, go, for a meal out.  Either after your gig in the kitchen, or on your night(s) off.

hi

haven`t been to the Fortune garden so dont know about that , but to be honest it does sound like a cooks off duty place.

i crave to be cooked for on my day off, and unless its a special occasion its normally some where cheap and cheerful, the food is often very removed from that that i spend hours toiling over at work,a diner, sushi, a curry, chinese, pizza, burgers , you get the picture .

the point is you dont have to think about it , you just eat it , its not the main focus it is just what it is , no need to critique it , just consume ,its food to please not impress, hang out , relax and catch up with those you have not seen awake for days.

after working my shift ( and its a long one ) i just wanna get home, throw something in the jukebox from capers, cheese on toast or grill a burger.

sorry if this sounds pretty lame

good question thou`

tt

So TF.... where'd yah go for that "cheap and cheerful meal" at midnight, 1, 2 a.m. when you get off work? We want details, my man. :biggrin:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I think Mia Stainsby did an article on this a few months ago. Great idea, but in practice it was a sort of dull story, because 90% of the cooks she asked said Bin or Gyoza King.

(there are only so many places open at 2 am)

Edited by sashavan (log)

I think Mia Stainsby did an article on this a few months ago.  Great idea, but in practice it was a sort of dull story, because 90% of the cooks she asked said Bin or Gyoza King.

(there are only so many places open at 2 am)

Mia Stainsby's 2005 "Chef's night out" is in today's Vancouver Sun's Queue. To the best of my counting/recollection ability, restaurants that got more than one mention by the various chefs surveyed were: Bin 941/942, Vij's, West, Parkside, Rangoli, Chambar, Cioppino's, Go Fish, Provence Marinaside (brunch), Rodney's and Tojo's. There were of course many other restaurants sited. The two Bin restaurants appeared to be the most popular with no mention of Gyoza King this year.

Edited by lemon curd (log)

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

Thanks for the info Lemon Curd and Sashavan.

I think it would have been interesting if a few more chefs chimed in on this thread with their personal faves but perhaps they want to keep that info to themselves. :hmmm:

Or perhaps the Sun article covered it all... but somehow I doubt it.

edited for typos :blink:

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

well the typical place for me and mine is any greasy spoon chinese joint open late enough for us to go to. sometimes we actually plan to go to a restaurnat and call a couple weeks in advanced to make sure we don'tn piss them off. last time we went to quattro, and before that we went to coast. on my days off i like to go to yum yums on losdale. i go there way too much. they know my name and my parents names... and my parents have never been there. but their ma po tofu is jsut so damn good

Edited by chef koo (log)

bork bork bork

I hate to be the boring one but most late night meals are cheese sandwiches at home with a big glass of milk.

When we first opened, and were open until two every night, we were that late night spot that chefs could be found eating at. And then when we were done, we would go to Bill Kee's on Broadway because they wre open until four. When the first child came along, we stopped the late night, and opened for lunch just to be a bit more normal. That was over five years ago.

Neil

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Appreciator,

This is an interesting topic. I like transfattyacid's reply because he includes how he feels and what he eats. I would have thought a chef would always want the power of the kitchen, even on his day off, but I see that's not true.

It's consistent with how I feel: everyone in my life wants me to do for them what I do professionally--for free. I DON'T want to come home and perpetuate the grind, only for no pay. I want someone to do it for ME (it's not food, though).

I also liked it that transfattyacid liked to be "pleased, not impressed" by the food he ate off hours. I worry about people who have to have an event every time they take sustenance. I'd like to hear other Vancouver chefs talk about this aspect of their precious time off.

Appreciator, I am interested in getting a better view of the pic you use--the pears. It's lovely. Any chance I could find it on the net, or did you shoot it? Thank you.

Catherine

Usually, after a long day in the kitchen I head home for a cool cold Canadian and crash on the couch.

I don't have much of an appetite after I leave work, especially after tasting and testing alot of the food that is sent from the pass. My eating habits are pretty bad actually when it comes to work days. I think my collegues think I have an eating disorder as I very rarely sit down to a proper meal while on the job except for my bowl of Irish oats when I get in in the morning or a couple of fried eggs when a little hung from one too many of the formentioned Canadians.

As for days off, I look for food to fill the gap. Tasty food, done well. Bit of a struggle of a find sometimes.

Recently I discovered The Kolochy Shop which is good for lunch, as also is a chicken teriyaki at one of the numerous 'bums on seats' japanese restaurants downtown.

Dinner is varied lately, if I'm home with my girlfriend (who is a cook also) we usually head out. After a week at work, most times the last thing we want to do is think about cooking at home. Although, entertaining can be fun, cooking for ourselves and friends can be sweet, especially when you can break away from the usual and let your imagination and creativity run free.

If I'm by myself, I'll prepare something easy. I'll head on over to Kits' to the Parthenon and one of the many green grocers and check out there wares.

Eating out is never the same, we always try and head somewhere new and give it a shot, I like to check out new places instead of heading back to the same ol' same ol'. There is so much variety here in Van', I'd like to give as much of it a go as I can.

Cheers,

Aaron