• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: NYC Brisket

Luckylies

I love brisket for many reasons. Mainly, it's a nice, fatty, tender meat that goes well with most sauces. I'm mainly familiar with the Jewish preperations and the Texas barbecue versions, all of which I love. Short of having Grandma make it, anybody know where the best brisket lives?

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I'm very excited about R.U.B (what was it april 1st?) mmm... I'm also looking for diverse brisket, not just bbq...

Anybody know:

is it the flat, or the point end that is best for brisket?

does this come in pork?

I prefer the flat because it is easier to cut into nice slices. However, some prefer the flavor of the point and either is great if you like to shred your brisket. Either way, I usually like to buy the whole thing and I enjoy every last bit of it.

The flat is what I prefer when making pastrami because I can cut myself a nice rectangular piece that fits in my brining tray just so.

I do think, though, that most folks prefer the flat, so if you have a choice...

Edited by fiftydollars (log)

If you want to make brisket or pot roast beef at home, my Yiddishe mama suggests asking the [kosher] butcher for 'side pieces'. She says any kosher butcher worth his or her [kosher] salt will know exactly what you need.

Don't wish to offend the foodies here, but my mama uses Lipton Onion Soup mix [from chip dip fame] to cook it.

:smile:

Erica

Although it's common to make pastrami from brisket, the best places (like Katz's) make it from plate (aka navel).

Not the best brisket in town, but arguably one of the best brisket-based items served in a restaurant in New York: the "Something Different" sandwich at Junior's in Brooklyn (corner of Flatbush and DeKalb Avenues). It's a thinly sliced brisket sandwich, but instead of two slices of bread it's served between two large potato latkes. Comes with apple sauce on the side.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Although it's common to make pastrami from brisket, the best places (like Katz's) make it from plate (aka navel).

Not the best brisket in town, but arguably one of the best brisket-based items served in a restaurant in New York: the "Something Different" sandwich at Junior's in Brooklyn (corner of Flatbush and DeKalb Avenues). It's a thinly sliced brisket sandwich, but instead of two slices of bread it's served between two large potato latkes. Comes with apple sauce on the side.

made a "latke sandwich" at katzes this weekend. so good. I ordered my pastrami medium fatty and folded it into latkes taco style. there was sour cream and apple sauce (and perhaps a smidge of mustard) boyfriend now thinks I'm pregnant... I know, I'm just right.

just managed to snag a 2nd cut brisket from jefferson meat market (citerella wouldn't even order it for me) should I marinade it?

how does 275F sound (6#'s) for a long time? to low?

does this come in pork?

If you want to make brisket or pot roast beef at home, my Yiddishe mama suggests asking the [kosher] butcher for 'side pieces'.  She says any kosher butcher worth his or her [kosher] salt will know exactly what you need.

Don't wish to offend the foodies here, but my mama uses Lipton Onion Soup mix [from chip dip fame] to cook it.

Erica

just saw this...okay, I give up, what's a side piece? trimmings to stick on top? I'm clueless...

does this come in pork?

If you want to make brisket or pot roast beef at home, my Yiddishe mama suggests asking the [kosher] butcher for 'side pieces'.  She says any kosher butcher worth his or her [kosher] salt will know exactly what you need.

Erica

just saw this...okay, I give up, what's a side piece? trimmings to stick on top? I'm clueless...

Side pieces are cuts of beef that hold up very well for the cooking method used to make brisket. I honestly don't know what part of the cow it comes from, but it is well marbled and not gristly. Like I said, any good kosher butcher will know exactly what you need.

Erica

just managed to snag a 2nd cut brisket from jefferson meat market (citerella wouldn't even order it for me) should I marinade it?

how does 275F sound (6#'s) for a long time? to low?

Lucky, 275F sounds too high to me. We did one recently, starting with a whole cryovac "packer cut". I removed the point to make sausage, trimmed off some of the hard fat cap (leave 1/8 to 1/4"), and the flat was rubbed with spices, wrapped in plastic and refrigerated overnight. Into 200F oven at 10:00a the next morning. It was just about perfectly done by 6:00p that evening. Of course, I'm a native Texan so I'd still prefer smoked Q, but for oven done brisket this was very good.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

Oops, just re-read your message. Eight hours, even at 200F, will be too long for a 6 pound piece. Maybe five hours. Check after that to see if the internal fat has melted. If so, you're home free.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

I like bbq sauce- should I pour a bunch into a foil bag and wrap it up tight with my brisket or add it later? no foil bag?

I also like other sauces, so if anybody has any reccomendations, I'm listening. Also, I'm all ears on technique.

does this come in pork?

Seriously simple brisket:

chop up a couple of carrots, some celery and leeks. Lay on the bottom of heavy baking dish. Place seasoned brisket on top and smother with your favorite marinara sauce. Cover tightly with foil and place in a 325F oven for 3 hours. (you play around with temps and times. I've done 275 for 5 hours)

Cool, skim off fat and slice. Reheat

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

okay the brisqueto went into the oveno for 5hrs yesterday at 260 ish. it did not appear to be done all the way when i put it into the fridge for the night. this morning I will slice it sauce it and re oven it at 200 for perhaps 2hrs (I'll check after one) will report back.

does this come in pork?

Anybody know:

is it the flat, or the point end that is best for brisket?

It's a matter of taste. I prefer the texture of the flat, but many people like the rich fattiness of the point.

I make a simple recipe:

Chunks of onion, carrot, celery and potatoes in a large foil tray. Brown the brisket (or brush with Kitchen Bouquet) and place on top. Add a package of onion soup mix, some garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper. Add beef stock. Cover with foil and bake at 300 until it's done -- when a fork turns in it.

• 10 months later...