• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: BLT Sandwich

raxelita

On a search for Manhattan's (or a few stops out Brooklyn and Queens) superior BLTs. The more traditional the better: looking for perfect harmonies of crispy bacon, non-mealy tomatoes, fresh lettuce and melty mayo on toast rather than Bouley's $63 visionary quail egg foam caviar "BLT" dosa.

You can really feel the love of the sandwich-maker when all the ingredients come together in perfect proportions. I haven't been feeling the love lately. Where should I be looking?

Drink maker, heart taker!

:laugh: Maybe this one time, you should cook it at home...the best part of the homemade BLT is the second and third sandwiches, the extra bacon that can't fit on the bread and that fact that it's just better at home...Recipes to follow if you cant figure out how to make one...

On a search for Manhattan's (or a few stops out Brooklyn and Queens) superior BLTs.  The more traditional the better:  looking for perfect harmonies of crispy bacon, non-mealy tomatoes, fresh lettuce and melty mayo on toast rather than Bouley's  $63 visionary quail egg foam caviar "BLT" dosa. 

You can really feel the love of the sandwich-maker when all the ingredients come together in perfect proportions.  I haven't been feeling the love lately. Where should I be looking?

Edited by AK@Spicehouse (log)

Maybe this one time, you should cook it at home...

I have to agree with you. It is my favorite sandwich and only once did I buy one that was exceptional. It was the "Special Sandwich of the Day" at Mangia. It was on a baguette, yet, all the flavors flowed in balance. They never offered it again, so that summer, I started to experiment with making a perfect one. Oh, there were so many types of bacon, Double-smoked, Apple-Smoked, Slab not smoked...I use it thick-sliced, and bake it in the oven, but have not yet decided which is the best. They are all good.

And so many types of bread, Artisan, loafs, baguettes, boules, pain de campagne, store-brand white loafs... I think Zabar's Peasant Bread offers the best background. It has a very crusty, yet chewy rind, and soft inside. Lightly toasted, it's oblong shape is good for bacon slices.

Lettuce was not difficult: Romaine! But the tomato proved to be the most important decision. In-season beefsteak tomatoes offer the best melding juices. Needless to say, the best tomatoes are available late summer, therefore I now only make the sandwich around that time of the year. Occasionally, if I find hot-house heirlooms by accident any other time of the year, then it's time for a BLT.

As for mayo, I'll use Hellmans, but if I have it, I will use the refigerated french mayo that's being sold around town. I don't know the name.

So, what do you think the best components of the BLT is? And if anyone knows a restaurant that serves a decent one, I'd also like to hear about it.

Edited by emmapeel (log)

Emma Peel

I like my bacon hot on my BLT. It also helps with the issue of less than ideal tomatoes - briefly fry them in the hot bacon fat - not too long, don't 'cook' them, it just seems to help. No Mayo - I prefer it without, especially with hot bacon, if you insist use the lettuce as a sort of heat shield.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Without question this is my favorite sandwich. I think the beast one I ever made was using toasted bagel bread, german johnson tomatoes and thick sliced wright brand bacon (baked). My mayo of choice is Duke's. For the lettuce we usually use iceberg, but romaine is probably better.

Can't wait to get some good tomatoes! :wacko:

Michael Harp

CopperPans.com

My main quibbles when getting one out are ungenerous bacon servings, and the bacon (unlless it's of quality) not being cooked enough.

The best one I've had out in Manhattan was at Fanelli's in Soho. They use lots (like four good layers, probably 8-10 slices) of very crispy bacon, on Tomcat bakery 7-grain toast. The tomatoes are always middlin or worse, but the lettuce is romaine.

It's not so much a matter of where for me as it's a matter of when. I generally don't even think about the issue till sometime in July when the Jersey Tomatoes start to ripen...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

It's not so much a matter of where for me as it's a matter of when.  I generally don't even think about the issue till sometime in July when the Jersey Tomatoes start to ripen...

Fine. We have the when, but where? I'm a very busy raxelita all year round to the point that I'm pretty much prohibited from cooking. Where to get the fix?

joe jr. on sith ave and 13 st. not gourmet, not fancy, but just right. also you can specify how you want your bacon done. they use hellmans. wait until summer though, tomatoes will suck everywhere except for the most high end establishments until then. high end establishments usually don't serve blts though so...the waiting game I suppose. good luck on your quest.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

• 4 weeks later...

Although the season is not yet here, I've come across an article from New York Magazine that lists five places to have great BLT's.

Edited to add: One restaurant in the article, Washington Park, is closed.

Edited by emmapeel (log)

Emma Peel

• 3 months later...

The BLT at Frankie's 457 Spuntino in Carroll Gardens is amazing. Thick bacon, unbelievably flavorful tomatoes, and slightly too much mayo, all on Sullivan St. Bakery bread. It's only available at lunch or brunch, and is well worth a trip.

my 2cts:

if the "B" in BLT isn't Nueske's then you're starting off with two strikes against you ..

absolutely the best bacon in the world and the deep smokey flavor and meatiness is what makes a BLT in my mind... go easy on the mayo, get crisp, fresh lettuce (I like iceberg or redleaf), a good NJ "better boy" tomato fresh from the garden and you're in heaven... bread? just a vehicle for the rest, so white wonder if fine for me...toasted of course...

virg

Nueske's is excellent bacon, but there are plenty of other small producers that offer excellent bacon. Fresh tomatoes are only available in NY in August and perhaps September, give or take a week or two. Bibb lettuce would be my preference. It's the crispest of all the tasty leaf lettuces. Romaine would be good or even some young arugula. White or whole wheat toast sliced sort of thin would be my preference in bread. Homemade mayonnaise would make it really special. In fact, it would make it recommendable.

That NY Magazine article referenced above is two years old, but if 'Wichcraft is making that sandwich and still using Tim Stark's tomatoes, I won't quibble about the bread or toasting just one side.

Well, I can tell you where not to look:  Eisenberg's Sandwich Shop.  I had one of the worst BLT's ever there.  And the egg cream was a total disappointment as well.   :sad:

rozrapp, I can't believe Eisenberg's made NY Magazine if my one meal there recently is any indication of the food. I certainly can't believe they got a mention for anything involving bacon if my breakfast was any indication of anything. Maybe at lunch you get today's bacon instead of yesterday's bacon. Utilitarian tomatoes do not make a recommendable BLT especially when the article starts with "What’s the best way to celebrate tomato season?" Next we'll be celbrating the grape harvest with Kool-Aid. What is it about celebrate that's hard to get?

From the The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48:

"1. To extol or honor in a solemn manner; as, to celebrate the name of the Most High. [1913 Webster]

2. To honor by solemn rites, by ceremonies of joy and respect, or by refraining from ordinary business; to observe duly; to keep; as, to celebrate a birthday. [1913 Webster]"

A utilitarian tomato is an ungodly thing and at best an object of ordinary business.

Eisenberg's is place to have seen however. I can't believe I've never been inside until last week. I can't believe I'll go inside again, but all the time I was pushing around the homefries, I was thinking of what a great tapas bar it might make. You couldn't operate standing room only without a second exit though.

Oh yeah, challah and bacon? That seems like pastrami and mayo, although I'll admit my wife likes bacon with matzoh brei.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Yeh, I wouldnt be so quick to turn a classic 1929 New York restaurant into a Tapas Bar over one bad breakfast.. The place is living history if nothing else, with an old school fantastic egg cream to boot. I think your experience is not the norm, but then again take it for what it is..

Yeh, I wouldnt be so quick to turn a classic 1929 New York restaurant into a Tapas Bar over one bad breakfast.. The place is living history if nothing else, with an old school fantastic egg cream to boot.  I think your experience is not the norm, but then again take it for what it is..

NY had very bad food in 1929. That's probably a point not to be overlooked. As for the egg cream, I only have rozrap's opinion. I've not had one there. Believe me, I wanted to like the place. I thought it was terrific looking. The funny thing was that when we mentioned having breakfast there, the person we knew in the area gave us a look that said we should have known better than to eat there.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

Bux, I didn't think you were old enough to know how good or bad New York food was in 1929. :laugh::wink:

But seriously, how do you know?

Michael aka "Pan"

It's been a while but I loved the BLT at Union Square Cafe.

It is interesting that such a simple sandwich with few ingredients is so hard to perfect!

I believe that it comes down to freshness and quality/flavor of the elements.

There is simply no way to hide less than optimum quality in any one of the components.

Bux, I didn't think you were old enough to know how good or bad New York food was in 1929. :laugh:  :wink:

But seriously, how do you know?

The world didn't start when I was born and my father always reminded us about the Great Depression. On the other hand, he loved his mother's cooking, so I could be wrong -- but having had his mother's cooking, I could only guess what the rest of the food was like in 1929. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

The two best BLTs I've had recently were at Starwich and Blue Ribbon Bakery. Both were excellent -- as good as I'd be able to make without going to extraordinary measures and investing a heck of a lot of shopping time.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)