• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brioche in pictures

I82Much

gallery_18253_719_41217.jpg

Mise en place

gallery_18253_719_28979.jpg

Sponge

gallery_18253_719_12890.jpg

Adding eggs, flour, salt to sponge

gallery_18253_719_32220.jpg

Mmmm butter - the recipe I used called for 2 sticks

gallery_18253_719_32782.jpg

Scraped into oiled bowl, covered with plastic wrap

gallery_18253_719_4491.jpg

After first rise

gallery_18253_719_39027.jpg

Refrigerating overnight

gallery_18253_719_45902.jpg

Fresh out of fridge

gallery_18253_719_48942.jpg

Kneading a little more flour in

gallery_18253_719_6146.jpg

Divide into 3 sections

gallery_18253_719_14736.jpg

Refrigerate 2/3

gallery_18253_719_31144.jpg

Divide one third in half

gallery_18253_719_1556.jpg

Divide half in thirds

gallery_18253_719_312.jpg

Shaping

gallery_18253_719_12338.jpg

Place in pans

gallery_18253_719_6210.jpg

before plastic wrap covering, final rise

gallery_18253_719_32879.jpg

Eggwash after rise

gallery_18253_719_7888.jpg

425 for 10, 350 for 15

gallery_18253_719_62024.jpg

gallery_18253_719_53601.jpg

gallery_18253_719_18071.jpg

Really wish I had more than 6 pans..

Beautiful!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The recipe is from Sherri Yard's Secrets of Baking, the "Master Brioche" recipe (or 'middle class' according to the lean/middle/rich dough classifications)

I would post it if not for copyright concerns.

edit: I adapted the technique from the Bread Baker's Apprentice. It's a bit of a combination of the two now. Particularly, I adapted the method of shaping the top knots (I odn't really have any good pictures of that part). Basically, you roll a portion of dough into a rope, but leave one end fat. Picture a snake with a big head I guess. Take the big part and make a hole with your thumb. Tuck the other end through the hole and make a bulb out of it (obviously my technique still needs some work as they're not evne close to uniform..)

I do add quite a bit of flour in all, probably a half cup to a cup - without it I find I can't work with the dought. It's fine if you're going to make a loaf out of it but It's too messy and wet to make the brioches a tets without the extra flour, IMO.

Edited by I82Much (log)

The recipe is from Sherri Yard's Secrets of Baking, the "Master Brioche" recipe (or 'middle class' according to the lean/middle/rich dough classifications)

I would post it if not for copyright concerns.

edit:  I adapted the technique from the Bread Baker's Apprentice.  It's a bit of a combination of the two now.  Particularly, I adapted the method of shaping the top knots  (I odn't really have any good pictures of that part).  Basically, you roll a portion of dough into a rope, but leave one end fat.  Picture a snake with a big head I guess.  Take the big part and make a hole with your thumb.  Tuck the other end through the hole and make a bulb out of it (obviously my technique still needs some work as they're not evne close to uniform..)

I do add quite a bit of flour in all, probably a half cup to a cup  - without it I find I can't work with the dought.  It's fine if you're going to make a loaf out of it but It's too messy and wet to make the brioches a tets without the extra flour, IMO.

Very nice work! I know brioche is labor intensive but your efforts were well rewarded. You might want to check out Vengroff's brioche (be sure to follow the link in the post to many pictures and extensive explanation) in the Baking with the Bread Baker's Apprentice thread (which has been lanquishing) for some helpful tips. Link to thread

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

Since it's more about baking than the specific class I took last month, I'll repost the images here. These are brioche I made at home after taking a class at the Culiary Communion in West Seattle.

gallery_1327_709_39891.jpg

The process began the night before. The first step was to make the sponge from warm milk, yeast, and flour. Here's how it looks after about 30 minutes of fermenting.

gallery_1327_709_23726.jpg

The rest of the dough, consisting of butter, eggs, sugar, salt, and more flour is mixed seperately. Here it is just before addition of the sponge. It's already soft and wet, and the sponge will make it more so.

gallery_1327_709_53381.jpg

After mixing in the sponge, the dough has to ferment for an hour. Here it is before fermenting

gallery_1327_709_47964.jpg

And here it is after fermenting, in the same bowl

gallery_1327_709_5899.jpg

From there it was into the fridge to cool, firm up, and expand just a bit more overnight. Fast forward to this morning and the shaping. I don't have pictures of the process itself, since I only have two hands. Basically one forms a ball as if for a roll, then rolls a pinch into in so that you have the main body and the head formed, and connected by a thin strand of dough. Then you flatten the body, push a hole with your finger, stretch it open a pit and then pass the head up through it from below. The two piecese never seperate. Here's what they look like immediately after shaping.

gallery_1327_709_35735.jpg

Once shaped they are given an egg wash and them left to proof at room temperature for about an hour. Here they are just washed and starting to proof.

gallery_1327_709_10065.jpg

Now fully proofed they are ready for the oven

gallery_1327_709_20274.jpg

gallery_1327_709_14114.jpg

Twenty minutes later they are golden brown on the outside and creamy yellow on the inside.

gallery_1327_709_69457.jpg

Just in time for brunch.

gallery_1327_709_84520.jpg

As far as what might have gone wrong with yours, I'm wondering about whether or how long you proofed them in the pans before baking. In my case it was about an hour, at which point they nearly filled the pans. Not only were they larger, but they had come up to room temperature.

I shaped the dough when it was very cold from the fridge. I couldn't have done it at room temperature because the dough was so soft and wet.

I may make these again next weekend. If I do I'll make an effort to get some photos of the shaping technique.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Great work everyone. I might offer an alternative to the above recipes: developing the dough to full development. I will provide a link with a picture of a fully developed dough. It will provide a lighter, more delicate texture than the above methods. Where I work now, we underdevelop the dough, so there is definately no right or wrong way, unless I work for you! :)

http://www.nzbakingsociety.co.nz/dean2.html

I should have said more about what I did with the non-sponge part of the dough. My instructor's recipe calls for creaming the butter, then mixing in the sugar and salt, and then 1/3 of the eggs. This is followed by 1/3 of the flour, 1/3 more of the eggs, 1/3 more of the flour, 1/3 more of the eggs, and then the final 1/3 of the flour. In between additions, the dough is mixed on medium speed until fully combined. This gets some, but perhaps not all the development of artisanbaker's method. The picture above is after all the eggs and flour have gone in, but the sponge has not been added. The flour I used was 11.5% gluten.

As far as portioning, I used 35g (total for the single piece that become the head and body) for an 8cm diameter mold. This is a lot less than the 50g + 10g in the recipe on the link. What size pan is that for?

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code