• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Coco Cocktail at Brasserie 8 1/2

slkinsey

Gary Regan tells us of the Coco Cocktail, a drink created for Brasserie 8 1/2 by bar manager Cory Hill:

"This is just a strange looking drink to me, Pete. It's made with Pisco brandy, chocolate liqueur and chilled espresso. Pisco seems like a strange base for this style of drink."

Pisco brandy, made in Peru and Chile, is a clear, unaged spirit, usually distilled from a wine made with Quebranta grapes, though other varietals are now being used to make this pungent, somewhat smoky, spirit. This South American brandy was very popular in San Francisco in the late 1800s, when it was often served in Pisco punch or button punch. Although there aren't too many brands on the market right now, Bauza Pisco Reservado, Capel Pisco Reservado, Montesierpe Pisco, Pisco Alto Del Carmen and Pisco Don Cesar are all available here.

Here's the recipe:

2 oz : Pisco brandy

1 oz : chocolate liqueur (Godiva, Mozart and Vermeer are mentioned)

1 oz : chilled espresso

Shake well with cracked ice, strain into a chilled cocktail glass and garnish with a lemon twist.

Sounds interesting. I'll have to give it a try, as I have a bottle of Godiva I've been wanting to get rid of for years.

--