• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Embossed / Patterned Fondant Rollers

JeanneCake

Got the new Pfeil and Holing catalog and they're showing lots of new stuff for fondant work. Among other things, there are these embossed rolling pins that imprint a design onto the fondant and there are 10 or so different designs (each is a different pin) that look intriguing. I think the one that resembles textured fabric/paper would be the one I'd go for, but I can think of a lot of other things I'd indulge in for $40!!

At first glance, it looks as if the design would distort once the fondant is on the cake - has anyone tried these? Do they work?

I have 2 of these. One makes a "quilted" pattern (I use it for baby shower cakes and daisy cakes-- kind of a country look) and a scrolly string line design.

you need to roll in one direction... so the design doesn't go wonky. I liked the way it turned out. I will rummage aound for pics later.

-pattycakes

I have several of them- some are similar to those on their website, such as the Floral Lace, the Margarita, Basket Weave, and then others that I haven't even used yet. :shock: There are soooo many textured/embossing rolling pins out there, and they do make a quick and easy decoration for a cake. I have bought all of mine at the ICES conventions. The vendors bring out their newest patterns every year, and there are loads to choose from. I've picked up rolling pins from Rosgar, Rosa Viacava de Ortega, Cuqui's Designs (she has a large variety of rolling pins, and in different sizes) Her website is Cuqui's Designs.

Here are some of the cakes I've done that have been done with the rolling pins.

pink_basket_4.jpg

pleats_pink_1.jpg

white%20hatbox_5.jpg

gs_gift.JPG

There are others on my website, but the details don't always show up in the pictures.

Beautiful cakes! Do you mind telling which roller you used on each cake and how so we can see them in action. I'm thinking about getting a couple but I was looking also at the impresson mats so if you know both, can you compare them?

Josette

Beautiful cakes!  Do you mind telling which roller you used on each cake and how so we can see them in action.  I'm thinking about getting a couple but I was looking also at the impresson mats so if you know both, can you compare them?

Thank you for the kind words. The basket cake is done with the basketweave rolling pin. The second one is with a pleats rolling pin from Rosa Viacava de Ortega (she has a website too). The hatbox cake was done with a lace rolling pin for the scarf and another rolling pin (don't know the name of the design though) for the side designs. I used two different rolling pins on the gold cake- a cornelli lace one for the top tier, and a leaf and scroll one for the bottom cake. There are other cakes on my website that have been done with different rolling pins, as well as cookies, covered with fondant that was embossed with the rolling pins.

I do have a couple of the large impression mats, that are made/sold by a local company. After purchasing and using the impression mats, I bought all of my rolling pins, including one which is basically the same design as one of the mats- because I prefer the rolling pin over the mat any day.

Here's a cake done with the impression mat (another company did create a rolling pin with a similar design to this a few years ago, but I didn't buy it at that time, and I haven't seen it since then. I wish I had purchased it because I find the rolling pins much easier to work with than the mats- but that is my preference. Every decorator is different, and have different preferences- so like with everything else, it's a matter of what you find works best for you.)

butterflies_3.jpg

Wonderful work Sharon, thank-you for sharing!

I also own the basketweave textured rolling pin. I like it and think it's pretty fun, although I wish I used it more often then I do. I've never tried the impression mats........wouldn't it be harder to enlarge the pattern then the rolling pin? Can you see clearly how your edges line up?

Sharon, I don't follow your last cake example. Where is the impression? Is it the butterflies on the bottom on second to the top layer..... and then you've colored them in?

Also, can I ask about your 3D butterflies? They look almost transparent, are they made of rice paper or something else?

..........very nice............

I found Rosa's site and another that has those rolling pins so I'm getting a couple of them. I have the same question as Wendy about which part of that cute butterfly cake is embossed and how did you do the butterflies on the layers - paint over them?

Josette

These are so awesome!

I have a question. (The photos on the website linked above aren't clear enough for me to tell) Are these usable for other applications besides fondant, such as on baked goods?

I would love to be able to use these on shortbread, or with my mom's springerle recipe, or with marzipan... Would these be up for any of those applications or are they too delicate?

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Wonderful work Sharon, thank-you for sharing!

I also own the basketweave textured rolling pin. I like it and think it's pretty fun, although I wish I used it more often then I do. I've never tried the impression mats........wouldn't it be harder to enlarge the pattern then the rolling pin? Can you see clearly how your edges line up?

Sharon, I don't follow your last cake example. Where is the impression? Is it the butterflies on the bottom on second to the top layer..... and then you've colored them in?

Also, can I ask about your 3D butterflies? They look almost transparent, are they made of rice paper or something else?

..........very nice............

Thanks Wendy, I also wish I got more chances of using the rolling pins too- (so I can justify having bought so many :biggrin: - but, unfortunately I don't get to use them enough.) The problem with the impression mats is that they are about 24" x 36" (give or take) and if the fondant is for a large cake, you always have to lift the mat to move it over some to emboss the rest of the fondant. So, you can't always match it up perfectly and you run the risk of getting a crease on the fondant because of the edge of the mat. Plus, I find it harder to get an even embossing all the way through. I gave up using my one impression mat because of that and was able to get the same pattern in a long rolling pin, but I didn't get the butterfly rolling pin when it was available, and haven't seen it since- so I still use that impression mat.

The butterflies and vines on the 2nd tier, and 4th tier are actually embossed, and then I painted over them with luster dusts mixed with grain alcohol. The 3D butterflies are made with gumpaste, painted with the luster dusts. I have yet to try the rice paper butterflies, but have seen some beautiful ones out there.

I found Rosa's site and another that has those rolling pins so I'm getting a couple of them.  I have the same question as Wendy about which part of that cute butterfly cake is embossed and how did you do the butterflies on the layers - paint over them?

Rosa has some nice rolling pins, and the patterns are cut quite deeply in the rolling pins, more so than many others. I embossed the 2nd and the bottom tiers, and painted over the embossed butterflies and vines with luster dusts and grain alcohol. The others are gumpaste, cut out with a template, and hand painted.

These are so awesome!

I have a question.  (The photos on the website linked above aren't clear enough for me to tell) Are these usable for other applications besides fondant, such as on baked goods? 

I would love to be able to use these on shortbread, or with my mom's springerle recipe, or with marzipan...  Would these be up for any of those applications or are they too delicate?

Thanks! That's a great question! I haven't used the rolling pins on anything but fondant. I think they would work on the marzipan, but I'm not too sure about other types of doughs. Some of the rolling pins have deep cuts, such as those that Rosa makes, but there are others out there, from other companies, which are so delicate that they barely emboss the fondant (have a couple of those- so they were a waste of money.)

I haven't used the rolling pins on anything but fondant. I think they would work on the marzipan, but I'm not too sure about other types of doughs. Some of the rolling pins have deep cuts, such as those that Rosa makes, but there are others out there, from other companies, which are so delicate that they barely emboss the fondant (have a couple of those- so they were a waste of money.)

Thanks for the input (I so love your cakes!) I looked at Rosa's website and while they do look nice & deep she has only one pattern that I would find usable, whereas Cuqui's has a bunch that would work for me, what do you think of the depth of Cuqui's patterns?

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I haven't used the rolling pins on anything but fondant. I think they would work on the marzipan, but I'm not too sure about other types of doughs. Some of the rolling pins have deep cuts, such as those that Rosa makes, but there are others out there, from other companies, which are so delicate that they barely emboss the fondant (have a couple of those- so they were a waste of money.)

Thanks for the input (I so love your cakes!) I looked at Rosa's website and while they do look nice & deep she has only one pattern that I would find usable, whereas Cuqui's has a bunch that would work for me, what do you think of the depth of Cuqui's patterns?

Thanks Eden, most of Rosa's rolling pins (except for a couple like the Angel Hair rolling pin) have the deepest cuts of all the rolling pins I have seen available (at the ICES convention.) Cuqui's are good as well- but not as deep, but still good rolling pins, and she has such a large selection, and various sizes of the pins available. Your best bet, since you want to use the rolling pin on cookie dough, would be to contact Cuqui's designs to see if they think their rolling pins would work fine on cookie dough

• 7 months later...

Yes, unfortunately you would lose the pattern during smothing. It's better to just lay the patterned fondant down and just give it a light press wherever the flat areas are, but it doesn't make for a perfect looking cake because of that, IMHO. Those rolling pins are very useful for small pieces, though.

Wow! A lot more patterns than my local cake shop carries. And less expensive too. Thanks so much! Just in time for a wedding cake I've been asked to do. I've been looking for different ideas.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Wow! A lot more patterns than my local cake shop carries. And less expensive too. Thanks so much! Just in time for a wedding cake I've been asked to do. I've been looking for different ideas.

You're welcome. My find is your find :wink: