• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Parmigiano Reggiano

scott123

Currently I'm buying it from Trader Joe's for $10.49/lb. The quality isn't spectacular, but it is the real deal, and thus is a phenomenal product.

Anyone have a better source in the area? Would a trip east (Newark/New York/Brooklyn) give me a better deal?

If I find 40 other friends to go in a wheel would that save me any money? Anyone have a good source for wholesale parm in the area?

I love this stuff, but man, the price is killing me.

Wonder if Costco would sell you a full or even a 1/2 wheel...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

The problem with Parmigiano Reggiano is that it is expensive no matter what. Find your nearest Italian specialty store or deli and see what they have it for. A whole wheel is about 80 lbs. Try and ask for greater aged cheeses like 3 years, it's called stravecchio and is more expensive but much better tasting. Likely you are buying cheese aged less than 1 year. It also depends on the time of year its produced. I think spring time production is the best of the bunch.

Have you ever tried Grano Padano cheese? I might suggest that too if you are head over heels for these types of cheeses. It's more popular than PR in Italy.

This summer I'm doing Italy for two weeks and can't wait to hit Emilia-Romagna for the real deal right from where it's made!

Edited by richl2214 (log)

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

:biggrin:

The problem with Parmigiano Reggiano is that it is expensive no matter what.  Find your nearest Italian specialty store or deli and see what they have it for.  A whole wheel is about 80 lbs.  Try and ask for greater aged cheeses like 3 years, it's called stravecchio and is more expensive but much better tasting.  Likely you are buying cheese aged less than 1 year.  It also depends on the time of year its produced.  I think spring time production is the best of the bunch.  

Have you ever tried Grano Padano cheese?  I might suggest that too if you are head over heels for these types of cheeses.  It's more popular than PR in Italy.   

This summer I'm doing Italy for two weeks and can't wait to hit Emilia-Romagna for the real deal right from where it's made!

That is Grana...... :biggrin:

http://www.granapadano.it/

Edited by chefreit (log)

I Will Be..................

"The Next Food Network Star!"

Yes it is....if this board didn't have an edit function I'd have a typo every line. LOL!

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Jerry's on Dean St in Englewood. Much better than Costco, Carrado's or TJ's. Also generally cheaper.

Edited by Double 0 (log)

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

I usually buy cheeses, especially Italian cheeses, at Fairway whenever I'm in the neighborhood of one of their stores. Don't recall specifically their Parmigiano Reggiano. but generally they are much more reasonable than other stores.

I haven't tried Corrado for cheese very recently, but as their produce is so poor, I'm not likely to go there for the cheese alone.