• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Jamaican beef patties?

Luckylies

Tower Isle is good, but just not cutting the mustard anymore. Any suggestions as to where to procure these golden mezzelunas of goodness?

Take a train to Philly and go to the Jamaican Jerk Hut. Seriously.

Take a train to Philly and go to the Jamaican Jerk Hut. Seriously.

Really? Jamaican food and culture doesn't have a quality presence in NYC?

Didn't know that.

I had heard that was true of Vietnamese food.

I really do have to go back to Jerk Hut a few dozen more times.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Really?  Jamaican food and culture doesn't have a quality presence in NYC?

Didn't know that.

It probably does, but I don't know where the good ones are in NY. The Jerk Hut version is really good though, especially in the summer when you can eat it outside.

I had a good patty there a few years ago but was reluctant to post about it, because I couldn't remember where it was on Flatbush and because of the passage of time. But a food-loving friend who's originally from Guyana and lives in Park Slope loves the place.

[Edit: I'm not sure we're talking about the same place. The place I'm thinking of is near Grand Army Plaza.]

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Over the years I tried several places in the Bronx (In the Gunhill and Boston Rd. areas) and found the ultimate patties downtown Brooklyn, just a few blocks from where i used to live.

The name of the place escapes me, it is located on Livingtson Street between Nevins St. and Bond St. on the south side of the sidewalk. It is take out only. They normally have beef, chicken, fish, vegetarian and calaloo patties that are all absolutely delicious. I regularly feasted on these for almost five years.

They also sell "Ting", one of my favorite sodas.

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

Try Brawta Caribbean Outpost Inc.

447 7th Ave

Brooklyn

The wife swears by it. She's picky about her patties.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Try Brawta Caribbean Outpost Inc.

447 7th Ave

Brooklyn

The wife swears by it.  She's picky about her patties.

Any relation to this place?

Does anyone know how often restaurants are making their own patties and how often they're buying them from a wholesaler?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

There is a little carry-out Jamaican place on Sullivan Street in the West Village, next to the Peanut Butter & Co. place (which is at 240 Sullivan Street). I don't remember the name. Really good Jamaican beef patties. Maybe not "great" but at the least, really good.

Generally speaking, it seems that beef patties come in two sizes, the thinner ones and the more rotund version. These were towards the thinner size. And they had various other patties (chicken, seafood etc...) and the fabulous Ting, as well.

Robin Tyler McWaters

Over the years I tried several places in the Bronx (In the Gunhill and Boston Rd. areas) and found the ultimate patties downtown Brooklyn, just a few blocks from where i used to live.

The name of the place escapes me, it is located on Livingtson Street between Nevins St. and Bond St. on the south side of the sidewalk. It is take out only. They normally have beef, chicken, fish, vegetarian and calaloo patties that are all absolutely delicious. I regularly feasted on these for almost five years.

They also sell "Ting", one of my favorite sodas.

Well I live right between this place and the Brawta on Atlantic, and there are a few other places in the area I've been meaning to try... Perhaps I will do a Patty-crawl some night this week. I'll let you know if it's worth the trek out to Brooklyn, Emma. Isn't it always, though?

I live right across the street from Brawta and ahve to admit that the patties aren't all that good. I've had one in six years, where I used to go to Christie's once or twice a week. I've not tried the one on Livingston, though I will certainly be doing that once the rain stops.

I live right across the street from Brawta and ahve to admit that the patties aren't all that good. I've had one in six years, where I used to go to Christie's once or twice a week. I've not tried the one on Livingston, though I will certainly be doing that once the rain stops.

I would agree with you on Brawta, I'm not too crazy about their patties either. I really swear by this place on Livingston, i like the way they make their patties with a really moist interior and crispy exterior. They seem to run out of the fish patties very quickly and they are in my opinion even better than beef.

I was not familiar with Christie's, i'll definitely give it a try...

Jerk Chicken Patty and Ting is really quite the excellent combination, and Ting is one of my favorite sodas that I don't really see enough of. I used to go to the Jamaican Flavors place on Sullivan St, but I'm not sure if that's the right name - pretty sure it changed like 3 years ago when they renovated the storefront.

One question though, for you guys what is the ideal patty - is it in the flakiness/denseness qualities of the crust? Or is it the spices of the stuff that is inside? I mean, the texture of the stuff inside to me has always seemed to be kind of mush, but that's what I've grown to expect and enjoy. Is this the way it's supposed to be? Does anywhere make a patty with like chunky chicken or chunky beef? Heck with all the upscale street food thats floating around the city (dumplings, hot dogs, ramen, etc) I wouldn't be surprised if someone came out with a Jamaican Curried Braised Oxtail Patty.

I must admit I sometimes order patties and ting from tasty crust bakery or is that tasty krust? /The patties are usually quite good if the show up crisp, and the ting...always wonderful. I had a babysitter when I was young who would bring me patties in an unlabled white box (perhaps a friend made them) they were wonderful. when I think of a classic patty I too expect crispy exterior and inside dense and somewhat mushy, almost duxlelle-like. I dont think I would like any toothfullness in my patty, but pastry with oxtail does sound quite tasty. I eat my patties with ketchup mostly, as did my babysitter. For me the combination is heaven.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

At this point I would kill for a box of Tower Isle. So few places in Chicago do a good job of making them. Most places charge too much for them to boot.

Living hard will take its toll...

I must admit I sometimes order patties and ting from tasty crust bakery or is that tasty krust?[...]

Golden Krust. I'm a regular of their branch on Nostrand near Flatbush. A better-than-average place for a quick takeout lunch for sure. No time to walk to DiFara's and wait for 30 minutes for my lunch between classes on Saturday at Brooklyn College.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 3 weeks later...

Zeitoun - do you happen to know off hand where the Jamaican place on Livingston is? There's one that's in the back of a CD/jewelry shop which is OK, but they have shrink-wrapped coco bread. An integral part of the patty experience is the coco bread - a reason I love Christie's in Flatbush so much. (I used to buy their coco bread to eat as a snack itself, or, to use as the bun in homemade jerk hamburgers, pressed ham & cheese sandwiches, breakfast scrambled egg/chouriço/manchego sandwiches, etc.)

I'm definitely on a Jamaican kick today and would like to check this place out - otherwise, I might try out Coal Pot Cuisine on Bridge St.

Zeitoun - do you happen to know off hand where the Jamaican place on Livingston is? There's one that's in the back of a CD/jewelry shop which is OK, but they have shrink-wrapped coco bread. An integral part of the patty experience is the coco bread - a reason I love Christie's in Flatbush so much. (I used to buy their coco bread to eat as a snack itself, or, to use as the bun in homemade jerk hamburgers, pressed ham & cheese sandwiches, breakfast scrambled egg/chouriço/manchego sandwiches, etc.)

I'm definitely on a Jamaican kick today and would like to check this place out - otherwise, I might try out Coal Pot Cuisine on Bridge St.

I was actually out there last week, the place is called "New Fruit" and they are located on the south sidewalk between Nevins and Bond streets (closer to Nevins). They have a whole variety of patties but the beef ones are in my opinion the best ones they offer. Their coco bread is good too.

They also sell a really good sorrel/ginger juice, a bit pricey ($3 i think) but worth the money.

And on another day check out their stews, they're not bad either.

I like your sandwich ideas, i think i'll have to steal that idea and include it in my snack repertoire :smile: