• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Marzano canned tomatoes

Berlinsbreads

www.ethnicgrocer.com

I haven't ordered from them but Sarah Moulton on FoodTV recommended them for hard-to-find ethnic ingredients.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Thank you all! I do frequent Trader Joes when we go into "town" (the city 1 1/2 hours away) but have not seen them there. Does Trader Joes carry them? I have only noticed Muir Glen at TJs. The local gourmet/health food store in my small town pretty much tries to carry only organic products and from companies that they approve of. I guess I'm not sure if there are organic San Marzano canned tomatoes out there. Muir Glen seems to be the norm around here.

www.ethnicgrocer.com

I haven't ordered from them but Sarah Moulton on FoodTV recommended them for hard-to-find ethnic ingredients.

I have ordered from ethnicgrocer.com a few times and the products arrived promptly, no problems.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

I'm looking for a good internet source to order San Marzano canned tomatoes as none of the local stores seem to carry this type. Does anyone have a good recommendation? Thank you!

I know Costco carries the industrial size cans. I purchase them often. The brand name escapes me, but they are San Marzano.

• 2 weeks later...

Alberto, we ran out of the Miracolo di San Gennaro. When we closed our last container in late November, Sabatino was still not ready with his Summer 2004 new babies. Such a treasure... we miss them, too. They'll be back in late February, though.

In the meantime, we are loving the piennolo vine tomatoes, different than the San Marzano, but as spectacular. These are the babies of Giovanni Marino, from the Mount Vesuvio National Park. Do you know them?

Beatrice of Gustiamo.com

Edited by Beatrice Ughi (log)

Beatrice

http://www.gustiamo.com

beatrice.u@gustiamo.com

I know Costco carries the industrial size cans.  I purchase them often.  The brand name escapes me, but they are San Marzano.

I've had some of these. I have a #10 can of Nina brand pomodori pelati that are labeled "San Marzano." Unfortunately, it's not hard for a company to slap a "San Marzano" on the side of a can. There is a difference between tomatoes that are labeled "San Marzano" and actual designated San Marzano DOP tomatoes. Some companies, like La Valle have both "San Marzano" tomatoes and "San Marzano DOP" tomatoes. Their DOP tomatoes are definitely better. The Costco tomatoes are, unfortunately, not DOP.

For those who don't know, DOP stands for Denominazione d'Origine Protetta (Protected Designation of Origin). It signifies that the product is grown in a specific geographical area and, where appropriate, is produced and processed using specific recognized methods.

--

Alberto, we ran out of the Miracolo di San Gennaro. When we closed our last container in late November, Sabatino was still not ready with his Summer 2004 new babies. Such a treasure... we miss them, too. They'll be back in late February, though.

In the meantime, we are loving the piennolo vine tomatoes, different than the San Marzano, but as spectacular. These are the babies of Giovanni Marino, from the Mount Vesuvio National Park. Do you know them?

Beatrice of Gustiamo.com

These are indeed phenomenal. In fact, I daresay they are the best canned tomatoes I have ever had. I first had them in Paestum. Served sauteed only with EVOO and served over homemade fusilli, they were a revelation. Thank you Beatrice for carrying them!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Beatrice of Gustiamo.com

Beatrice,

Having lived quite some time in Napoli I'm addicted to pomodorini del pjennolo. They're fantastic for a quick tomato spaghetti and the best choice for spaghetti con le vongole, red sauce clam spaghetti.

Cannot find them here in Germany, but I usually bring some back from Italy whenever I visit my parents, both canned and on the vine. The ones on the vine also make a great edible kitchen decoration.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.