• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Comfort Food

My wife and I need to start trying new places for excellent, inexpensive, middle of winter comfort food where we can take a lunatic 2 year old boy and not have to worry about causing a food fight.

We love burgoo. Oh, the stew! :blink:

Do you have any other suggestions? We're getting bored of Bourguignon (is that even possible?).

Good coffee a big plus. Must have crayons. Maybe advil, too... :huh:

If we're eye-high in fine dining here, feel free to shut me down if the question belongs somewhere else.

But i bet we all wish we could hollow out a potato, fill it with cheese and bacon, bake it, deep fry it till brown, put it on a stick, and then dunk it in gravy....at least from time to time.

Andrew

editor@waiterblog

waiterblog :blush:

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

My first reaction would be Seb's Market Cafe at 592 East Broadway, one block west of Fraser Street. We had brunch with our 3 1/2-year-old son there this morning and hung out for about 1 1/2 hours without incident whatsoever. A hip, comfortable room with a great vibe and, most importantly, a kids' stash with colouring books, crayons, toy dinosaurs and toy vintage cars. Our son was in heaven.

Can't comment on the dinner menu, though we mean to head back soon for an evening meal, but Francois Godbout serves up a fantastic brunch. My husband had banana bread french toast, I had a shitake mushroom and roasted garlic omelette with a side of turkey sausage, and Francois made up a special plate for our son with a scrambled egg and a few rashers of bacon. All brunch plates come with pan-fried potatoes, house-made toast and fruit preserves, as well as a good-sized portion of fresh fruit. My latte was fabulous, as was my husband's americano and our son's freshly squeezed OJ.

Our son gave Seb's a generous thumbs-up. It'll be easy to become regulars, that's for sure.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Forgive me - I'm a newbie to the food biz and just enjoy reading the posts of the "pros"....

But what about Romano's Macaroni Grill on Davie? Your son will have a entire table to scribble on, you and the wife get some decent pasta dishes, and the waiters sing!

OK, so it's not West but hey... whatever keeps the kid happy and quiet for 10 minutes must be good eh?

:blink:

We're getting bored of Bourguignon (is that even possible?).

LOL...it certainly is. My first summer job was a table busser and waiter at a Montreal hotel/motel establishment. They would make bourguignon in large amounts and inevitably that was what the staff were offered...it took me a long time to get back to liking the "stuff".

I remember telling the head chef to quit yelling at me and to his credit, he stopped, looked at me and replied, "Je cris pas, je parle fort"

I think that it was that job that caused me to take more interest in and to have sympathy for those in the food service industry. We served a number of businessmen who were daily customers. Lots of multi-drink lunches that seemed to go on for hours and the like. I recollect thinking at times, "what a bunch of "@#$%oles" and then, years later, while sipping a nice glass of wine at my favourite spot downtown chuckling as I thought, "hey I have become one of them"...shame! :rolleyes:

i don't think i could ever possibly become "one of them". whenever i dine out, as i've written elsewhere, i'm still in waiter mode, looking around at how the restaurants operation runs. that's a shame, but i can't help it. :sad:

Andrew

editor@waiterblog

waiterblog

Andrew Morrison

Andrew,

I think my replies on this thread will be posted in dribs and drabs as restaurant ideas slowly filter in.

Of course there's the Tomato Fresh Food Cafe on Cambie at West 17th. Don't know about the recent state of their kids' stash, but we've always had a successful meal there with our son... just throw a couple of extra crayons and some Hot Wheels into the backpack before you go. The bright colours and retro diner decor are usually a hit with kids, and they can go twirl around on the bar stools when they're bored. Weekend brunch is great but absolutely slammed. With no resos taken, getting there before 10:30 a.m. is your best bet. Our fave is the belgian waffle plate served with fresh fruit, honey vanilla yogurt and maple syrup, not to mention their swimming-pool sized espresso drinks. Blue Plate Specials are consistently good.

Latin Quarter is another restaurant that our son thoroughly enjoys. Again, add an extra supply of kid gear to your arsenal and you're good to go. Set yourself up with an order of paella and a pitcher of sangria and order a couple of tapas or some pasta for the little one. Our waitress even mixed up a glass or two of "kiddie sangria" for our son. We were recently there with another family and their preschooler on a weeknight. The kids sat at an adjoining table for two when they were done eating and worked on an art project by candlelight before setting up house under the bar stools, then subsequently standing in the front window and watching the world go by. They were having fun without being intrusive and none of the restaurant patrons batted an eyelash. A great evening was had by all.

Happy family dining!

Joie

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

SandBar is pretty kid friendly, ask for a booth on the main floor and don't go Friday/Saturday when it is much more Club than restaurant. The fresh fish is idiot proof, decent beers on tap and a fairly reasonably priced (though really boring) wine list.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

thanks for the suggestions. :smile:

i don't know if i should cross-post this with the burger club thread, but i just had an awesome father son lunch with my boy at browns restaurant and bar in north vancouver.

awesome burgers.

table cloths are white paper and our waitron gave us tonnes of crayons.

on a weird note: they had mini televisions built into the mirrors in the bathrooms playing the food network on a loop.

Andrew

editor@waiterblog

waiterblog

Andrew Morrison

Andrew,

I think my replies on this thread will be posted in dribs and drabs as restaurant ideas slowly filter in.

Of course there's the Tomato Fresh Food Cafe on Cambie at West 17th.  Don't know about the recent state of their kids' stash, but we've always had a successful meal there with our son... just throw a couple of extra crayons and some Hot Wheels into the backpack before you go.  The bright colours and retro diner decor are usually a hit with kids, and they can go twirl around on the bar stools when they're bored.  Weekend brunch is great but absolutely slammed.  With no resos taken, getting there before 10:30 a.m. is your best bet.  Our fave is the belgian waffle plate served with fresh fruit, honey vanilla yogurt and maple syrup, not to mention their swimming-pool sized espresso drinks.  Blue Plate Specials are consistently good.

Latin Quarter is another restaurant that our son thoroughly enjoys.  Again, add an extra supply of kid gear to your arsenal and you're good to go.  Set yourself up with an order of paella and a pitcher of sangria and order a couple of tapas or some pasta for the little one.  Our waitress even mixed up a glass or two of "kiddie sangria" for our son.  We were recently there with another family and their preschooler on a weeknight.  The kids sat at an adjoining table for two when they were done eating and worked on an art project by candlelight before setting up house under the bar stools, then subsequently standing in the front window and watching the world go by.  They were having fun without being intrusive and none of the restaurant patrons batted an eyelash.  A great evening was had by all.

Happy family dining!

Joie

Wow, Latin Quarter, I had forgotten about our little fire there. Matthew @ 1 year came to dinner with us. We ordered lots of stuff to eat and we had a tiny table. I have Matthew on my lap and the waiter brings the flaming chorizo with lots of fire and sets it right in front of Matthew. I quickly moved Matthew out of the way and asked the waiter to remove the chorizo and bring it back without the fire. He had a puzzled look on his face as to why I would have such a strange request ! What an idiot !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

on a weird note: they had mini televisions built into the mirrors in the bathrooms playing the food network on a loop.

Like Food Network doesn't repeat enough on its own??

I used to take my kids to the Bel-aire Bay ... the place that has the sign you can see from the Second Narrows bridge ... as a regular brunch place. That was almost 10 years ago now.

How about dim sum?

A.

I may be drummed out of my own little food snob guild for this, but I have always enjoyed Sophie's. Maybe it's the huge bottles of hot sauce or the cold coffee. It just seems comforting.

agreed. it's insane, but i can't go too long without the lumberjack special at sophie's.

and you know the kids will keep themselves occupied.

Andrew

editor@waiterblog

waiterblog.com

Andrew Morrison

I may be drummed out of my own little food snob guild for this, but I have always enjoyed Sophie's. Maybe it's the huge bottles of hot sauce or the cold coffee. It just seems comforting.

agreed. it's insane, but i can't go too long without the lumberjack special at sophie's.

and you know the kids will keep themselves occupied.

Andrew

editor@waiterblog

waiterblog.com

I guess one of the primary drawbacks that we've found with Sophie's is the lineup. Show me a toddler or preschooler that'll stand outside for 20 minutes before having breakfast or brunch, and I'll give that parent a gold medal! :wink:

What about the Tomahawk in North Van? If all the tables are full, you can either belly up to the bar and let the kids spin around on the barstools, but at least you're standing inside while waiting instead of outside. Kitschy as all get out, but kids love it! And who can pass up a king-sized order of Yukon bacon?

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

My wife and I need to start trying new places for excellent, inexpensive, middle of winter comfort food where we can take a lunatic 2 year old boy and not have to worry about causing a food fight.

We love burgoo. Oh, the stew!  :blink:

Do you have any other suggestions? We're getting bored of Bourguignon (is that even possible?).

Good coffee a big plus. Must have crayons. Maybe advil, too... :huh: 

If we're eye-high in fine dining here, feel free to shut me down if the question belongs somewhere else.

But i bet we all wish we could hollow out a potato, fill it with cheese and bacon, bake it, deep fry it till brown, put it on a stick, and then dunk it in gravy....at least from time to time. 

Andrew

editor@waiterblog

waiterblog :blush:

Check out The Living Room on West 4th, Great prices and total comfort food, perfect for winter nights

I don't understand all this concern about taking your kids to restaurants. Mine had been to Mustard's and Tre Vigne in Napa while they were preschoolers, had done sushi before 10 and been to many moderately upscale places while still in the stroller. Far be it for me to interfere in your child raising, but for us we started them young and within a year were reaping the benefits. It may have been the cough medecine in thier bottles though.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

ooooh - now I'm hungry. Damn. Guess I'll pick up some baking potatoes on the way home from work :biggrin:

ooooh - now I'm hungry. Damn. Guess I'll pick up some baking potatoes on the way home from work :biggrin:

After you bake it, don't you have to dip it in egg wash and then bread crumbs before you deep-fry it? If you don't, you might lose some of your delicious filling! :wink:

After you bake it, don't you have to dip it in egg wash and then bread crumbs before you deep-fry it? If you don't, you might lose some of your delicious filling! :wink:

Yes, but part of the point is that I get to eat the delicious crunchy bits that fall out. And since I don't own a deep-fryer (it gets pan fried), I don't get burned. I think I may be missing the point by taking this seriously. Sorry..

Our comfort food was generally Chinese food while we were living in Vancouver - big plate of ginger beef at szechuan chongqing - or dim sum.

I don't understand all this concern about taking your kids to restaurants. Mine had been to Mustard's and Tre Vigne in Napa while they were preschoolers, had done sushi before 10 and been to many moderately upscale places while still in the stroller. Far be it for me to interfere in your child raising, but for us we started them young and within a year were reaping the benefits. It may have been the cough medecine in thier bottles though.

Coop, we've raised our son the same way. Have been bringing him with us to restaurants since he was 2 weeks old and have never had any behaviour or eating issues (touch wood!). During our trip to Palm Desert last October, we dined at a few white-tablecloth establishments and he enjoyed being at the restaurants as much as we did.

If families are looking a moderately upscale restaurant that's accepting of kids, try Bistro Pastis. John Blakely has two kids of his own and is excellent at anticipating the needs of his younger customers.

Joie Alvaro Kent

[ During our trip to Palm Desert last October, we dined at a few white-tablecloth establishments and he enjoyed being at the restaurants as much as we did.

With all due respect, I'm calling bullshit. You show me a three year old whos idea of fun is sitting quietly for long periods of time in a stationary upright position, and I'll show you a child that is well disciplined, but not really living the pint sized vida loca.

I thought I heard the sound of a gauntlet being thrown down.

My problems with Matthew in this restaurant arises from the fact that he really thinks that he works here. I have no plans to whip the kids off to Lumiere to see how there fare. White Spot, Fets on Commercial, Milestones, Earls and the dreaded Rotten Ronnie's That is as much as I am willing to do ( and let my own kids skip the Hamilton Street Grill - too much strees ! )

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

My little nearly 3 year old so Jack is a raving lunatic at restaurants and must be, at times, restrained with a cattle prod.

Well, not really...but he's a squirmer of wormish note.

He too has grown up in restaurants. It's where daddy works.

Honestly, i've seen literally thousands of kids over the years and can say your children are exceptions to the rule. Most steer away from anything other than linguine alfredo or pomodoro.

Seriously.

If your kids love foie gras and sushi, be happy.

As for "not understanding" the concerns about taking kids to restaurants, i'm positive you're pulling our collective leg. :wink:

Andrew

editor@waiterblog

waiterblog.com

Andrew Morrison