• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tea Sandwiches

Cucina

Remember those little tea sandwiches with the crusts cut off - cut into delicate corners or long rectanges? Do you still make them and on what ocassions? what are your favorites? Mine include: pimento cheese, cream cheese with green olives, round cut one's with whole tomato slices and a little mayonaise, tuna fish with sweet relish.

A bazillion cool tea sandwich ideas here from none other than Daniel Rogov ... :wink:

Among my own personal favorites:

Smoked salmon with cream cheese and scallion greens

Roquefort cheese blended with butter and cream cheese.

Anchovy fillets, chopped very finely, blended with cream cheese

Red caviar (salmon eggs) mixed together with lemon juice and cream cheese

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

A bazillion cool tea sandwich ideas here from none other than Daniel Rogov ...  :wink:

Among my own personal favorites:

Smoked salmon with cream cheese and scallion greens

Roquefort cheese blended with butter and cream cheese.

Anchovy fillets, chopped very finely, blended with cream cheese

Red caviar (salmon eggs) mixed together with lemon juice and cream cheese

Gifted Gourmet - Wow! That made me hungry! What a good list! Question - how do you make the red caviar ones without all the eggs getting mashed?

Benedictine spread is a southern classic (basically grated cucumber and onions in cream cheese; tinted very light green). Here's a recipe. I add a litle lemon juice as well.

I also like southern shrimp paste (ground cooked shrimp, butter, grated shallots, s&p, a little cayenne); although I usually serve that on toast points... I've also seen suggestions to serve it on small beaten biscuits...

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Gosh - I never realized these were Southern in nature here in the states. As a devoted Anglophile, I will make them as part of a British High Tea. My favorites:

(kinda like Melissa's) Smoked Salmon, Cream Cheese, and Dill (different than scallions)

Watercress and Butter

Cucumber

Potted Shrimp (butter mashed with shrimp, mace, ginger, a bit of cayenne, S&P)

Ritz Special Egg (from the Ritz Carlton - made with capers)

Deviled Ham

Alice B. Toklas Sandwiches (kinda hard to describe - saute some mushrooms in butter and beat into a paste. Season with cayenne and mix with butter. Now and then, Alice would add scrambled eggs or parmesan cheese)

Thinking about the south -- my Dad would INSIST on a sandwich with Pimiento Cheese!

Hmmmmm... time for tea!

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

I love tea sandwiches and have made them for several "girl" parties such as my best friends bridal shower. I like to do cucumber & butter, egg salad, salmon w/cream cheese and chicken salad w/almonds. I pulse the chicken salad in the food processor and it turns out quite good.

I love finger sandwiches - easy to make up, they travel well, and people love them. My favorite is chutney and cheese, though I also love watercress and cucumber sandwiches.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Cream cheese and pineapple on wheat bread

Chicken salad with curry and chutney

Smoked salmon with caper and egg butter

Salmon with butter and sweet pickle ( a Canadian specialty)

Cream cheese with candied ginger on date bread

Cucumber Tea Sandwiches are my absolute favorite! For my son's baptism, I served an assortment of sandwiches including one the men really loved...beef tenderloin and caramelized onions with a horseradish mayonnaise

Cucumber (on white bread) is classic. If only one, this is the one.

Tinned salmon (not tuna, not fresh salmon) with vinegar

Egg mayonnaise (cress optional)

Smoked salmon. Leave out the cream cheese, just put in more salmon

Gentlemans Relish or Marmite

Shippams Chicken Paste (or Bloater)

Thin ham and mustard

Perfect for an afternoon party, tea or not -- or just us light munchin' at home, and good on the road. I always like to make at least two kinds, even impromptu snacking for us. For a planned party I'll do four -- whatever strikes me at the time.

Some favorites:

Smoked salmon with cream cheese, lemon/dill

curried mayo chicken salad

sliced tomato, s&p with avocado mayo

cream cheese with minced ham and black olive

thinly sliced rare roast lamb or beef with mustard horseradish (best on rye)

pimento cheese topped with a slice of jalapeno

liverwurst, mustard and thinly sliced onion

and for kids (of all ages :wink:) peanut butter/honey with a forked slice of banana, sprinkled with nutmeg

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

I love tea sandwiches. I concur with all of the above but especially with watercress and butter. I love those things. They were the best part of Thursday Bridge when my mother hosted the "bridge queens" when I was growing up. The leftovers never lasted very long.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I love tea sandwiches. I concur with all of the above but especially with watercress and butter. I love those things. They were the best part of Thursday Bridge when my mother hosted the "bridge queens" when I was growing up. The leftovers never lasted very long.

Too funny! I was just about to post that this is definitely a girly girl, ladies only thread but had suspected their were a few men out there that had sureptitiously raided the leftover tea sandwiches in their youth and pined for the experience again! What I want to know is whether there are any men out there that have actually made tea sandwiches?

Thinly sliced (cooked) calves liver with beets, onion and arugula (or spinach) on pumpernickel. Served with a particularly strong brew of black tea- no cream or sugar.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Too funny! I was just about to post that this is definitely a girly girl, ladies only thread but had suspected their were a few men out there that had sureptitiously raided the leftover tea sandwiches in their youth and pined for the experience again! What I want to know is whether there are any men out there that have actually made tea sandwiches?

No. No man has ever made one.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Occasionally, some of us girls will have a tea, or a craft day (emroidery, and crochet usually), and tea sandwiches are on the menu. Also, lots of dessert :) Anyway, usually cucmber & butter and roast beef w/ mustard (on whole grain) are ones we always make. The watercress ones aren't bad, but the girls that started up the tea idea decided that watercress was for folks who had servants that could deal with all the little leaves!

This thread is great for ideas for the next one, though. Thanks!

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

Hmmmmm.....source of great amusement. Perhaps we should have a man made tea sandwich contest at Varmint's pig pickin'? :laugh: What other dainty foods do men love but don't make?

. . .

Hmmmmm.....source of great amusement. Perhaps we should have a man made tea sandwich contest at Varmint's pig pickin'? :laugh: What other dainty foods do men love but don't make?

Can we say mini-quiche? :laugh:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

How bout them Bears!!!lmao

Dave s

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard