• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

West Hollywood and (gulp) Anaheim

Chris Amirault

I apologize in advance for asking yet another "I'm going to LA" question. I've been scanning the reviews and finding them helpful, yet I believe I have a particularly complicated problem.

I'll be staying in West Hollywood with a friend from 11/5 though 14, and I'll be driving down to the Anaheim convention center for four of those days for a conference (yes, I know that will suck). The last two times I was in LA I had no time to go to any decent restaurants, so I am very much hoping to eat well. However, the myriad options are terrifying -- as is the prospect of finding anything edible in the Anaheim convention area. And, after some truly inedible meals thanks to Zagat's lately, I'm eager to put my gullet in your hands.

So: I would appreciate ANY recommendations for restaurants, high-end, low-end, local fast food, order-only-this-one-dish joints, you name it. I'm game to eat anything, and will gladly drive a good hour or so for an exceptional dinner. I can't afford to have a blow-out every night, but I will want to treat a friend to a good meal or two. So give me your most strongly worded opinions; I'm going to keep a notebook and report back to eGullet on the meals, so you'll hear my own upon my return.

Thanks, in advance, for your opinions!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

When I have to go to Anaheim, I usually visit The Block shopping center a few miles away in Orange. There's no fine dining, but plenty of interesting choices for lunch and casual dining. Lots of chain places, but a few that are more original.

The Block

Pamela Fanstill aka "PamelaF"

I go to a seminar every year at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim, and always have to find a place for dinner one night. I second Napa Rose as being pretty good. If you don't want to spend as much or want something lighter, you can eat in the bar for much less and you don't need a reservation. I have also found Catal in Downtown Disney to be good. It has an outside bar area with more casual food, but that might not be as appealing in November as in warmer months.

If you want a fun evening following a day at the convention center, why don't you see about driving over to Newport Beach, which isn't all that far away and spending an evening at The Newport Beach Brewing Company. the food is a bit eclectic and quite good. The atmosphere is fun and I think you will enjoy it.

I don't drink myself but have taken some young friends (from Australia) there after an event at the convention center. They had a great time.

Distances are not all that far in OC, and depending on the time of day, if you can miss the commuter crowd, it doesn't take all that long to get there.

Another place in Newport Beach is Aubergine, which is considerably up the scale from the other place. One reviewer compared it to the French Laundry, which was the reason I decided to try it in the first place. The food was French with the usual California flair. We found the service was excellent but another person whom I recommended said the food was great but the service was so-so, but considering his attitude about most places, it could be just his view of it.

I have taken out of town guests (from South America) there after an event at the convention center and we had an excellent meal. I don't drink but Ronaldo was very impressed with the wine list and he is in the business. They had multiple course tasting menus at the time I was there, which was a couple of years ago.

Contact Info:

(949) 723-4150

(949) 723-4003 (fax)

Location Info:

508 29th St, Newport Beach, CA 92663

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I made up a little site dedicated to hole-in-the-walls, mostly in the Hollyweid area:Cheap Eats 'N Stuff.

Here's a map of the Disneyland area:

rest.jpg

The La Palma Chicken Pie shop is classic.

For around $6, you can get a complete dinner, including dessert!

Lunch is less than $5.

Thai Nakorn is one of the top Thai restaurants anywhere.

Not on the map, but where Walnut bumps into Katella, just west of the Convention Center, is Marri's Italian; great pizza.

For Bangkok eats, check out my Cheap Eats Bangkok

Thanks for the great recommendations so far. Pink's is an excellent suggestion -- I'm a big NY system weiner fan here in RI -- and I'm very grateful for Stupid_American's map and site. While I'm grateful for the Napa Rose recommendation, I have to admit that I'm probably going to find it hard to give Mickey any of my money, since my daughter already spends enough of my income on Disneyana....

Here's a question. Are there any old Hollywood restaurants worth checking out? I see that Disney has opened up a version of the Brown Derby, for example; is it worth hitting? And what about the Formosa Cafe on Santa Monica?

Keep 'em coming!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Not old, old, but Spago in West Hollywood is not bad.

And of course there is always Musso and Frank Grill on Hollywood Blvd. That one has been around forever, well, since 1919. You never know who you will see there. The waiters are (famously) somewhat terse, but people expect it.

When I relocated to Southern California in 1959 that was the first restaurant I went to in Hollywood. My dad took me and I saw Jimmy Stewart at one table, Maureen O'Hara at another and as we were leaving Aldo Ray walked past us. I was excited to see real movie stars. Then I went to work for a doctor that treated a lot of people in the industry and soon learned they were just regular people with jobs that put them in the public eye. During the years I worked as a personal chef I even worked for quite a few.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

For the quintessential OLD Hollywood experience, go to Musso & Frank's on Hollywood Boulevard. I have never been there and not seen a star or two. A martini and a steak with Caesar salad are "the usual" for standards - no foo-foo California cuisine, here -- just great, basic, CLASSIC food in a not-to-be-missed setting. Similarly, I second Les Frere Taix. I think it is now just known as Taix French Resaturant. French food the way it was made here in America in the '70s. 1911 Sunset Boulevard and has been around since the 1920s.

To some extent good Haute Cuisine can be found all over but there is much to be said for "the Hollywood experience" of the days of old. Also, since you will be in Orange County, Japanese food is a MUST. It has been too long since I've eaten around there, otherwise I'd make the recommendation.

Well, if you must give Disney your money, you can always eat at the Blue Bayou which is actually inside the Pirates of the Carribean ride....the food is ok, but its kinda neat and at least you can say you ate there.

Or go down the street and have a meal at Knott's Berry Farm, Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant.

I had dinner there year before last during the Christmas holidays (I relocate to OC for two weeks during the holidays, staying with friends in Yorba Linda.)

It was quite good. I have eaten there many times over the years and forget during the interims just how homey and satisfying plain home-style food can be.

When the kids were still at home we used to go to Knott's for Halloween then have dinner at the restaurant. We also went to Disneyland every Christmas season.

• 1 month later...