• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vittles, Grub & other food at the SFA Symposium

Varmint

Whole hog barbecue, caramel cake with sugar cane ice cream, fried chicken four different ways, Coca-Cola brisket, fried catfish, and even fried pimento cheese were just some of the offerings at this year's Southern Foodways Alliance Symposium. Many talented chefs worked long hours to make the eating part of the session an unqualified success (along with every other aspect!). I've posted some photos of a few of the great items we sampled and some of the folks who made it happen.

Thanks to all!

gallery_137_201_1097460993.jpg

Thursday night featured whole hog barbecue from Mitchell's in Wilson, NC.

gallery_137_201_1097461048.jpg

The Mitchell's crew also managed to fire up some pork ribs!

gallery_137_201_1097461171.jpg

Friday's lunch featured Coca-Cola brisket sandwiches. The slaw on the sandwiches was superb, but we sure did want more beef!

gallery_137_201_1097461307.jpg

Brisket lunch on the Grove at Ole Miss.

gallery_137_201_1097461419.jpg

Friday evening started with a degustation of deviled eggs and sparkling wine from the Biltmore Winery.

gallery_137_201_1097461462.jpg

My favorite was the capered deviled egg.

gallery_137_201_1097461570.jpg

We then hopped a double-decker bus and rode the 6 miles out to the Taylor Grocery for some fried catfish.

gallery_137_201_1097461618.jpg

But there was far more than just catfish. From San Francisco came these smoked brisket eggrolls. Damn, they were awesome!

gallery_137_201_1097461718.jpg

Bob Kantor of San Francisco's Memphis Minnie's frying up some eggrolls.

gallery_137_201_1097461770.jpg

John Currence of Oxford's City Grocery dredging pimento cheese balls destined for the fryer.

gallery_137_201_1097461824.jpg

Taylor Grocery catfish. Yummmmmm.

gallery_137_201_1097461971.jpg

Ann Cashion of DC's Cashion's Eat Place plating for 200 of her closest friends at Saturday's Viking Range Luncheon.

gallery_137_201_1097462012.jpg

Chef Cashion brought intertwined dishes that represented both White and Black Southern traditions, in this case, she-crab and peanut soups.

gallery_137_201_1097462081.jpg

The theme continued with two salads, "alligator pear" (aka avocado) and grapefruit on one side, with wild greens and pork cracklin's on the other, all brought together with a poppy seed vinaigrette.

gallery_137_201_1097462151.jpg

The entree, however, represented a "lazy susan" form of family supper, with braised pork being plated with 6 different side dishes. Can you name them?

gallery_137_201_1097462270.jpg

Dessert was individual caramel cakes with sugar cane ice cream. Chef Cashion made individual cakes to ensure everyone received 5 sides of caramel icing!!! She is a very smart woman, indeed.

gallery_137_201_1097462326.jpg

The cake was so good that SFA Board Member, Matt Rowley, even licked his plate clean (literally!).

gallery_137_201_1097462701.jpg

We obviously hadn't had enough to eat for lunch, so for dinner, we had the pleasure of eating 4 different styles of fried chicken at the Fried Chicken Throw Down. Here's Pawley Island, SC's Louis Osteen of Louis's at Pawley's fighting some troublesome burners to fry his fowl.

gallery_137_201_1097462821.jpg

Martha Stamps of Martha's at the Plantation in Nashville turning some of that piquant and crunchy chicken.

gallery_137_201_1097462979.jpg

The fried chicken from New Orleans' Jacques-Imos used an interest approach: pickle brine. This chicken was my personal favorite, as the skin was perfectly done.

gallery_137_201_1097463293.jpg

Outgoing SFA President Damon Lee Fowler informs Scott Peacock, chef of Watershed in Decatur, Georgia, how much he loved his chicken.

gallery_137_201_1097463031.jpg

Of course, no Fried Chicken Throw Down would be complete without a plate of veggies, biscuits, and macaroni & cheese.

gallery_137_201_1097463229.jpg

Desserts included lemon pie, apple cake, and these outstanding peanut cookies.

gallery_137_201_1097463340.jpg

And if you needed to find John T. Edge, you only had to look for the Jack Daniels table, his second home.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Lordy, Lordy, Lordy..."smoked brisket eggrolls". My mind (and appetite) is reeling with such a possibility.

Can the "Southern Food Culture" forum get their own eRecipeGullet? And can we get the recipe for the eggrolls?

Where is that damn drool smilie? :angry:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Those egg rolls were bad ass. No recipe, but here is basically what they were-thinly sliced and chopped brisket with some finely chopped peppers-both multi colored bell and hot, some onion (I think) and the meat had been marinated in something reasonably spicy. All of this was wrapped in an egg roll wrapper and served with a spicy mustard type sauce. These things were awesome. Really good. Bob's a really nice guy and he reads eGullet, he swears he is going to start posting (we heard those two things about a couple of hundred times over the weekend) so maybe he will give us the recipe if we ask nicely.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Those egg rolls were bad ass. No recipe, but here is basically what they were-thinly sliced and chopped brisket with some finely chopped peppers-both multi colored bell and hot, some onion (I think) and the meat had been marinated in something reasonably spicy. All of this was wrapped in an egg roll wrapper and served with a spicy mustard type sauce. These things were awesome. Really good. Bob's a really nice guy and he reads eGullet, he swears he is going to start posting (we heard those two things about a couple of hundred times over the weekend) so maybe he will give us the recipe if we ask nicely.

I am asking... NICELY!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I thought the sauce was more chipotle based. 

Man, that sounds good! Now I am wondering how a horseradish-based dipping sauce would go with the smoked brisket egg rolls. Not a Southern slant, but it could be the start of beautiful friendship.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Bob, on behalf of everyone here.....(gets down on knees)Please, please, please share your recipe. They sound AMAZING!!!!

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs