• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Txoco in Getaria

docsconz

Visits completed or impending to Getaria have acome up in a few recent topics. We had the pleasure on Oct. 3 of having our last formal meal (as a manner of speaking only) of our recent Culinary Adventure with the CIA in Getaria at an outdoor restaurant called Txoko. It was situated on the promenade directly above the piers and had beautiful views. To be perfectly honest, there were also a number of other similar restaurants in the area and I'm not sure that it really makes a whole lot of difference which one one would go to. They all looked good.

gallery_8158_200_1097342621.jpg

gallery_8158_200_1097342518.jpg

Before the crowds.

gallery_8158_200_1097342442.jpg

Grill Baskets

gallery_8158_200_1097342322.jpg

Selecting our fish. We chose a turbot (which turned out to be the best of the bunch), scorpionfish (the most disappointing), sea bream and sea bass.

gallery_8158_200_1097342229.jpg

Preparing the fish.

gallery_8158_200_1097342154.jpg

We had more than just grilled fish. This was an excellent tuna and potato stew. In addition we had two tomato salads - one with garlic and EVOO and the other with onions and EVOO as well as a rarity for Spain in our experience- a green salad. This was very much appreciated by all.

gallery_8158_200_1097342063.jpg

Puttin' on the fish.

gallery_8158_200_1097341978.jpg

The view from the table. Who cared about the seaview?

gallery_8158_200_1097341896.jpg

The fish are on the grill!

gallery_8158_200_1097341716.jpg

Is it true a watched fish never grills? Fortunately, no.

gallery_8158_200_1097341628.jpg

A view from below.

gallery_8158_200_1097341524.jpg

A view from above.

gallery_8158_200_1097340356.jpg

Fresh sardines and sea salt

gallery_8158_200_1097340276.jpg

Puttin 'em on.

gallery_8158_200_1097340182.jpg

Cookin' good!

gallery_8158_200_1097340113.jpg

Takin' them off.

gallery_8158_200_1097339615.jpg

On the plate. My favorite dish of the day.

gallery_8158_200_1097339553.jpg

Grilled fresh fish, EVOO and Garlic. What is better than that?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

John, the tuna (probably albacore) and potato stew is known as marmitako, a fishermen dish.

From my experience when eating in Orio, although the restaurants seem pretty much the same there're noticeable differences amongst them.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Pedro, I am sure that there are differences between the restaurants, although superficially they appear to be very similar. In all of them the greatest emphasis seems to be on simply grilled fresh fish - and rightly so. In what ways did you notice differences?

Melissa, the lunch was great and a nice counterpoint to the wonderful, but very complex and involved food we had been eating. More on that to come in separate topics.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

John, these are great pictures. Having had lunch there in August, 2003, I appreciated seeing what I missed by sitting inside. Regardless, you ampified my good memories. This is a great address. I'm glad you have had the good luck to have dined there.

Product quality (i.e. freshness), mastering of the grilling technique. Tougher than it seems, handling a grill.

In Getaria, I've heard (read) reports of grilling products which aren't usually cooked with that technique with excellent results, like clams and oysters (not sure about the latter). I believe that Kaia was the place where this took place.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Product quality (i.e. freshness), mastering of the grilling technique. Tougher than it seems, handling a grill.

In Getaria, I've heard (read) reports of grilling products which aren't usually cooked with that technique with excellent results, like clams and oysters (not sure about the latter). I believe that Kaia was the place where this took place.

It would have been fun to have tried some grilled shellfish as well, although I don't know where I could have put it!

Twitter - @docsconz

In addition we had two tomato salads - one with garlic and EVOO and the other with onions and EVOO as well as a rarity for Spain in our experience- a green salad. This was very much appreciated by all.

In our earlier travels we found a lettuce and tomato salad quite common, usually with sliced onions, but a simple salad of green leaves was all but unheard of. At the upscale Landa Palace outside of Burgos, Mrs. B asked if we could have a salad of only lettuce leaves. The kitchen sent out a rectangular platter of five varieties of lettuce and we mixed out own green salad. The presentation of the platter with the five bunches of leaves all in a row was quite lovely and memorable. I was also quite surprised to see they had five different varieties of lettuce. I don't recall if there was dressing on the side or if there was oil and vinegar on the table. I suspect the latter.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Ours was but a little bit of oil and vinegar on the lettuce. I've never appreciated a salad so much in my life.

Twitter - @docsconz

Doc, My wife and I enjoyed a great meal there in 2000. We had the usuall fare plus a great local white wine. Did not remeber the name of the restaurant but your photos brought me right back . The town was recommended by a waiter in a restaurant in Madrid when we told him we were headed to San Sebastian. One of our favorite expeiences in Spain was sitting by the seaside enjoying great fresh fish and leisurly eating lunch for 2 hours or so. Spending as much $$ as a dinner usually cost's. Was sort of an epiphany meal for us. Not a typical lunch for us, certainly not at home in U.S.. Really enjoyed the whole town and also checked out the fish market. Nice modern and clean. The aroma of grilling fish was everywhere and I can still make my mouth water when I think about it. Thanks for the photos which evoked such great memories.

David

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

David,

Unfortunately, since it was Sunday the fish market was closed. We did, however, visit La Brecha, the market in Donostia the day before. That was the most beautiful fish market I have ever seen. The seafood was impeccably fresh and the market was absolutely immaculate. Great selection, too. More to come on this and other markets.

Twitter - @docsconz