• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yamanashi prefecture

torakris

Fruits are the first thing I think of when someone mentions Yamanashi and I enjoyed a gorgeous bunch of grapes from there just a couple days ago.

What are some Yamanashi favorites?

some links can be found here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...88entry725288

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

isn't it houtou? (with a t?)

I love this and make it a couple times each winter, always adding lots of kabocha, green beans and shiitake, mine looks very similar to the picture you showed...

I didn't realize this was from Yamanashi, we learn new things everyday! :biggrin:

• 1 month later...

I made houtou last night. I love this dish, sorry Hiroyuki! :raz:

The package contains the noodles and the miso

gallery_6134_91_1099181345.jpg

you add the dashi, meat and vegetables.

This is a great way to clean out the refrigerator! I added a little bit of thinly sliced pork and aburage (tofu pockets) as well as the last bit of daikon, onions and scallions and some kabocha.

gallery_6134_91_1099181378.jpg

my husband and I ate it with a good dollop of yuzu-koshou (a paste made with yuzu and green chiles)

I made houtou last night. I love this dish, sorry Hiroyuki! :raz:

I can eat houtou, but the very idea of adding kabocha into the miso-based soup is off-putting to me. You see, kabocha soon melts into the soup, making it muddy and unappetizing...