• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best made cakes in North Jersey

richl2214

Having a big party in November and the place I use to buy cakes from closed down.

Any suggestions on the best place to have cakes made in North Jersey? Im particularly looking for around Nutley area and don't want to go too far out of the area.

I'm talking fresh whipped cream. All fresh ingrediants. Top notch. Expense is no issue. The kind of cake that your guests have a second piece of and fight for it.

Throw me out your recs! Thanks in advance.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

I realize this is a bit far from you, but the bakery around the corner from the Target in Hackensack , B&W is really good, i think. Their coffee cake is outstanding, its like almost all crumbly cinnamon topping.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I've tried Mazur's before. To me they just offer the standard big bakery cake. Good but not great.

Jason, thanks for the hint. May be a little too far but if no other suggestions I may just try that one out.

Chefreit, where is Judickies? I can't seem to find a listing.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Funny, but even since Mazur's was sold, I've continued to find that when I order a standard cake from them (i.e. white cake, choc mousse filling, (ALWAYS) whipped cream), people RAVE about it. And fight for extra pieces! Your call, but I've read and heard that although the ownership changed, the staff hadn't. Bonus: they'll deliver, if it's a huge cake--I've done that for events here at work.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Chefreit, where is Judickies?  I can't seem to find a listing.

That's because it's spelled Judicke's

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Best cakes and pastries in Northern NJ are from Patisserie St Michel, on Queen Anne Road, The Plaza, Teaneck. They don't have long hours, so call first.

Patisserie St Michel

1389 Queen Anne Rd

Teaneck, NJ 07666-3540

Phone: (201)837-8140

Thanks folks. Some great suggestions here!

In Nutley there is a restaurant called Papillon and the owner Joseph, besides being a great chef, is also a serious pastry chef. He graduated from the CIA and was a pastry chef at The Plaza hotel. He had his own pastry cafe and also a bakery in Nutley called St. Honore (she is the patron saint of chefs) and then opened up Papillon. I think if you are serious about the best then I don't think you can get any better.

Here's a link to Papillon website - I suggest giving him a call or stopping by and having dinner and/or just dessert and coffee and check it out. I have no association with them - this is just my suggestion to you.

Papillon Restaurant

Best cakes and pastries in Northern NJ are from Patisserie St Michel, on Queen Anne Road, The Plaza, Teaneck.  They don't have long hours, so call first. 

Patisserie St Michel 

1389 Queen Anne Rd

Teaneck, NJ 07666-3540

Phone:    (201)837-8140

I second Patisserie St. Michel. Good french pastries.

The pastry chef at "Rocca " is excellent, we have tried some of her cakes and also desserts,very good.

:wub: Why don't we have a DROOLING emoticon?!? :laugh: I am not a sweet freak, but I'm still thinking about the citrus cream-filled cannoli we had at Rocca...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

nizza,

the chef at Papillon sold St Honore a long time ago. We use to buy nothing but his cakes when he owed the pastry shop. That's the kind of cake I am looking for again.

nizza,

the chef at Papillon sold St Honore a long time ago.  We use to buy nothing but his cakes when he owed the pastry shop.  That's the kind of cake I am looking for again.

You definitely want to go to Patisserie St Michel (Mentioned above) I know it's about 25 mins from Nutley, but this place is worth the trip, if you want extraordinary cakes.

Menton, is that place a kosher bakery? Or is it coincidentally just in Teaneck?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Looks like I may give Patisserie St Michel a try. Thanks guys.

If it is a kosher bakery what is the difference? Do they have to use different ingredients?

Rich - re -read my reply I said that he (Joseph Cerreto) owned St. Honore cafe and the bakery, sold it , and then opened his own restaurant Papillon. If you did eat and enjoy his cakes at St. Honore, and that exactly what you are looking for now. all you have to do is go over to Papillon because that's where he is!

P.S. There were two chefs/owners at Papillon and I don't think there are any longer. One wasfor the cooking and one for the pastry. Now there is only one and he (Joseph) is the one that owned the cafe and bakery.

Edited by nizza (log)

I do understand nizza but I was under the impression he stopped doing special orders for cakes. Last year when we called Papillon he said they didn't do the special order cakes anymore. I figured that was that.