• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taqueria la Veracruzana

Holly Moore

Man can not live by elote alone - though I could be persuaded to make them part of my daily diet. But to round things off a bit, last night, to follow up on my elote, I walked across the parking lot to Taqueria la Veracruzana.

I've been there before, but have never noticed their weekend specials. Don't know how long they've been around, but they are great.

Special 1: Tacos al Pastor. This is the real McCoy. Thick slices of pork barbecued on a gyros like machine, sliced off to order, served on a soft corn taco with minced onions, pineapple and a wedge of lime. A lot places claim Tacos al Pastor but this is the only one in the area where I've seen the pork sliced to order. $2 each

Special 2: Tamales. Huge and as good as I've had here-abouts.

Special 3: Pancita aka Tripe. I'll let someone else report on the tripe. I don't really have the stomach for it.

Special 4: Marbacoa de Borrego. Barbecued lamb. Haven't tried it yet, but will soon.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

another of their sunday specials is what they write on the check as 'consome,' but which is actually straight up goat soup. it's chunks of on-the-bone greasy goat in a goat broth, served like menudo or tortilla soup with a pile of onion and cilantro and tortillas. it's $11, and freaking great.

but seriously, wear old clothes when you get it, because you're going to splash greasy goat broth all over yourself in the process. there's really no way to avoid it.

I had a taco al Pastor and a Melon Aguafresca as a late afternoon snack at TV this afternoon. Alas, the elotes lady wasn't in yet, and when I came back later they weren't done cooking yet either. :angry: I guess I just wasn't meant to have an elote today. :sad:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

another of their sunday specials is what they write on the check as 'consome,' but which is actually straight up goat soup. it's chunks of on-the-bone greasy goat in a goat broth, served like menudo or tortilla soup with a pile of onion and cilantro and tortillas. it's $11, and freaking great.

but seriously, wear old clothes when you get it, because you're going to splash greasy goat broth all over yourself in the process. there's really no way to avoid it.

Sounds like you've had a close encounter with an order of birría?

Obviously, the menu has evolved down there since last I paid a buck to park and schlurp some tacos. I'll have to make a return trip. I just never make it past Phó Ba Le!

Did you notice if they have horchata on the menu?

In fact, they'd just made a fresh batch of horchata (in addition to the melon aguafresca I had) when I was there. They also serve prepackaged horchata (which is quite tasty) when it isn't their own homemade.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

A few weeks ago on a shopping trip I had some wonderful tamales and tacos al pastor but the REAL TREAT was a pitcher of Pineapple Aguafresca!

They eat, they drink, and in communion sweet

Quaff immortality and joy.

--John Milton