• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

mail order Louisiana goodies?

bavila

Anyone have suggestions for really good mail order suppliers? I'm an expatriated Louisianaian in Maryland. I already order Community Coffee, and can get my Tony's up here in some grocery stores, but right now I'm jonesing for some Louisiana pecans. Also, my mom used to get me file from a vendor at Festivals Acadiens, and I seem to have lost track of who that was to even look them up. Any ideas for artisanal file? In other suggestions would be great!

Bridget Avila

My Blog

Bavila,

First of all welcome to eGullet. We are always glad to help out an expat. I hope that you are doing well up North, as I understand that there are some nice folks there, but that they are in need of a cooking lesson or two.

Here is a pretty good, very inclusive site that carries lots of our native foodstuffs. You will notice, for example, that on the sausage page not only do they have variety, but they list who made the stuff. Sausage from Poche's in Breaux Bridge (it's not really in BB and it is a pain to find at night, but they think that they are in BB :wacko::laugh: ), bacon from Richard's, stuffed chickens from Hebert's in Maurice, etc. The Cajun Grocer can fix you up. If you put together a decent sized order the shipping is pretty reasonable as well, especially if you are ordering dry goods.

Here is the link to Uncle Bill's File'. It is the best. Hand did! I am pretty sure that this would be the guy you bought it from as he is often at festivals and is a regular at the Crescent City Farmers Market as well.

Good luck and stick around. We always have people looking for local advice in Acadiana and you could be a big help.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I hope that you are doing well up North, as I understand that there are some nice folks there, but that they are in need of a cooking lesson or two.

:laugh: Ha! Yes indeed, a cooking lesson wouldn't be a bad idea. Hubby and I continue our crusade to when over Old Bay fans to Tony's. It's slow going! Thanks for the tips. I've been on Cajun Grocer a few times, and it's good to get someone else's endorsement.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

• 2 months later...

Bavila, did you order? I am considering placing a fat order from Poche's directly and wondered if anybody had experience with their mail-order service. The Cajun Grocer's site was sooooo slooooow that I didn't seriously consider it--even though I want some good chicory coffee and Poche's doesn't sell it. (I mostly need andouille and tasso for an upcoming gumbo fete.)

I hope that you are doing well up North, as I understand that there are some nice folks there, but that they are in need of a cooking lesson or two.

:laugh: Ha! Yes indeed, a cooking lesson wouldn't be a bad idea. Hubby and I continue our crusade to when over Old Bay fans to Tony's. It's slow going! Thanks for the tips. I've been on Cajun Grocer a few times, and it's good to get someone else's endorsement.

although i love creole and have even purchased some books on mayhaw man,s excellent recommendations tony,s or anyone else,s will never supplant the great ,original Old Bay :rolleyes: Dave s from lowerslowerdelaware

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard

Hebert's Speciality Meats sent me a note today to get my holiday orders in now for my turducken and my boneless chickens with alligator stuffing.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Get dark roast with chicory straight from the source. I know lots of people that do, in fact, I did when I was working in San Diego.

And Poche's is tiny and well run. I beleive that Bleachboy recently got an order from there, so you might pm him, or perhaps he will check in tonight.

Bavila, did you order? I am considering placing a fat order from Poche's directly and wondered if anybody had experience with their mail-order service. The Cajun Grocer's site was sooooo slooooow that I didn't seriously consider it--even though I want some good chicory coffee and Poche's doesn't sell it. (I mostly need andouille and tasso for an upcoming gumbo fete.)

And Poche's is tiny and well run. I beleive that Bleachboy recently got an order from there, so you might pm him, or perhaps he will check in tonight.

I contacted Malawry with a small review of their web site, but more importantly the promise to give an andouille review as soon as it comes in.

Frankly, I'd say you can't go wrong if Mayhaw Man recommends it. I believe he has a truly refined yet egalitarian palate.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Again, I concur with Mayhaw Man on the coffee. We always order Community. Here's a tip -- if you place a standing order, you can choose from several thank-you gifts, including a Bodum grinder. At least this was the case in September.

I've not placed any orders as mom and dad have come through with freebie shipments.

I do endorse Poche's based on my brick-and-mortar experience with them!

Bridget Avila

My Blog

That sausage at Poche's is damn good. Their andouille is what it's supposed to be-basically spicy CHUNKS of ham held together with some spices and pork fat. The stuff is delicious.

Also, it's a great stop for lunch if you are traveling I-10. It's easy to find (in the daytime-at night, not so much-just ask Rachel P. :hmmm: ). They have a good little spot and it's always full of colorful talkative locals (most of us will talk to a stump, so we are just as happy to talk to animate objects like yourself). Great menu and the staff is really funny. Full of great stories told in wonderful accents. Just act dumb and ask some obvious question -"So, just what is this Gumbo stuff?" That gets them started. You won't need to say much else for about a 1/2 hour other than, "really?" or "you don't say!". They'll do all of the work.

You should always order a couple of chickens when you order from there. Those things are the ultimate in TV dinners. Just thaw and cook. Serves 2 of us or 4 Yankees. :raz: Delicious and virtually no effort.

I had a great experience with Poches a few weeks back.

I bought tasso, andouille, boudin, smoked gator, & pork/crawfish - all KILLER.

My order arrived at 10:30 the morning after I placed it, everything in great shape. I believe the minimum order is 10 lbs. , wasn't a problem for me as I was sharing with a friend.

I had my first-ever Boudin this past Friday - for breakfast with bloody marys. I love this stuff! I find it similar in taste to the pudding we make at butcherin', must be the livers.

Anyway, I think you'll be quite happy with Poches.

Doug

Here is a source for boudin and some really, really great andouille and other sausages Rabideaux's Sausage 105 Hwy 165 (337) 582-3184

They are my source for venison, beef and pork smoked items.

The cracklins are good too, but I've had better...mainly nearer Opolusouses (sp), for some reason, they do a mean pork rind up there!

• 2 weeks later...

I did end up ordering from Poche's. I had some trouble with their website--I was trying to pay with AMEX and I think something was wrong with their coding for accepting AMEX. So I called the store and spoke with a very charming lady who took my order over the phone.

Everything arrived two days later via FedEx, still frozen solid and packed in styrofoam. I didn't actually try any of it until yesterday, when I cracked into some andouille and some tasso for a big batch of gumbo. The andouille is particularly delectable--chunky, spicy, salty, porky goodness. The label suggests you remove the casing, which is thankfully easy to accomplish. The tasso is much spicier than the tasso I bought from Central Grocery while visiting NOLA in March, so I added a little less of it to the gumbo than I was planning to. It's a damned good tasso, and I enjoy the extra kick this version carries, but I didn't want to subject any of my guests to super-spicy gumbo (my best friend in particular is very sensitive to spices).

Anyway, good stuff.

Everything arrived two days later via FedEx, still frozen solid and packed in styrofoam. I didn't actually try any of it until yesterday, when I cracked into some andouille and some tasso for a big batch of gumbo. The andouille is particularly delectable--chunky, spicy, salty, porky goodness. The label suggests you remove the casing, which is thankfully easy to accomplish. The tasso is much spicier than the tasso I bought from Central Grocery while visiting NOLA in March, so I added a little less of it to the gumbo than I was planning to. It's a damned good tasso, and I enjoy the extra kick this version carries, but I didn't want to subject any of my guests to super-spicy gumbo (my best friend in particular is very sensitive to spices).

Anyway, good stuff.

That tasso is awesome. Might a reccomend that you try a little carbonara and skip the bacon and go for tasso. You really don't need any other spices (much) if you use the tasso. SLice it really thinly and just heat it enough to warm all the way through.

The andouille is really good and your description is perfect. The deal with the skin is that because the stuff is mainly pork chunks, as opposed to some kind of ground pork, that it shrinks a bit as it is smoked and the skin gets kind of loose on the sausage, it is pretty easy to remove, although I don't always do it-out of sheer laziness. And if you think that woman was charming on the phone, you should go there for a little lunch sometime when you are down here. Those women could charm snakes.

I did order one of the (shrimp) stuffed chickens and I agree. It was SUPER delectable. I served it with a simple salad and reheated some frozen chicken jus (from a previous roast chicken) and it was a huge hit with all concerned. Moist and delicious and the stuffing was to die for.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

I thought about ordering a chicken after the suggestions here, but I was already breaking the bank as it was--the gumbo in question was part of the menu for my birthday party this past weekend. Feeding 25 people well ain't cheap, though it sure is fun and the gumbo was very popular. :biggrin:

Next time I order, I will be sure to get a chicken. Which kind have you guys enjoyed? (I think they have several stuffings, right?)

That tasso is awesome. Might a reccomend that you try a little carbonara and skip the bacon and go for tasso. You really don't need any other spices (much) if you use the tasso. SLice it really thinly and just heat it enough to warm all the way through.

yep, I've been substituting the Poche's tasso for pancetta, bacon, and other hams in my recipes lately. A little bit goes along ways for flavor.

• 1 year later...

This looks like a good thread to bump.

I just got my order from Poche's about half an hour ago, so I can't report on the quality of any of it (not that I have any doubt, having eaten plenty of Poche's sausage in Louisiana), but the service was terrific. I ordered:

2 pounds boudin balls

1 pound boudin

1 pound andouille (it's huuuuge)

1 pound fresh chaurice

1 pound smoked chaurice

1 four-pound smoked chaudin (pig's stomach stuffed with sausage)

Ten pounds of food, total cost with shipping $80-something.

The idea was to get a variety of things while satisfying my curiosity about chaudin and incredible cravings for boudin. If you're wondering why I didn't order any tasso, I'll be honest: it's the holiday shopping season and I'm maxing things out to such an extent that I had to switch one pound of tasso to a pound of boudin balls (a dollar cheaper) in order to afford the ten pound minimum. ... I've had a lot of shopping to do.

I placed the order over the weekend, and got a call Monday morning letting me know that they didn't have any fresh chaurice on hand but would be making some that afternoon and Tuesday, and that I could either wait or change the order. I waited, obviously; bam, here it is this morning.

The chaurice arrived cold and only partially frozen (not because it had thawed, but because it's fresh), where it was nearest the frozen items and ice pack -- so we're having that tonight, and the rest went into the freezer to be portioned out over the holidays.

.. man, I wish I hadn't had lunch already.

Speaking of which, Brooks, what's up with the thread/list of companies up and running to order from?  I'm trying to buy Louisiana merchandise for Christmas gifts.

There are lots of good links here (though, humorously, some of them don't work-they are fixing them now-bad html I suspect).

Southern Foodways Alliance Shopping List

You can't do any better than some of these folks, and I hope that some of you do choose to order from some of them-right now, today, only 21% of the pre Katrina number of food sources are open in Orleans Parish (this is easy to calculate, as they have to get a Post K permit to operate). We need the help, desperately, and it's a good way to do something meaningful (short of calling your congressperson and reminding them that some of us are still here-they seem to have forgotten).

Speaking of which, Brooks, what's up with the thread/list of companies up and running to order from?  I'm trying to buy Louisiana merchandise for Christmas gifts.

There are lots of good links here (though, humorously, some of them don't work-they are fixing them now-bad html I suspect).

Southern Foodways Alliance Shopping List

Links fixed. Mary Beth Lasseter, the REAL head of the SFA, is incredibly efficient.

• 3 weeks later...

We had one of Poche's stuffed, boneless chickens for Christmas dinner. The stuffing was not what I would call pork, but rather a blazing hot sausage. Thank the stars I wiped off all that red goop on the outside, which looked like cayenne pepper to me, or no one would have been able to eat it.

Now I'm wondering about the rest of the pork sausage I ordered, which I plan to have for New Year's Eve. My son and SIL (son, not sister) can eat about anything, but there will be six of us who don't care for food that's too spicy.

Can those of you who have ordered a range of Poche's products please rank them for me in order from mild (if any!) to red hot? I have Boudin, smoked sausage, Andouille and Tasso. I was thinking of serving the Boudin and smoked just plain and putting some Andouille or Tasso in cheese grits.

What would you serve with these to cool down the mouth? Purely by accident, I discovered that a berried Jell-O with a whipped cream and cream cheese layer was absolutely the most effective cool down food I've ever tried, but I'm trying to make this an all NOLA meal and there will be those present who don't like Jell-O.

Suggestions? Help, help.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali