• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cookie problem... why crispy when they were chewy?

sugarhill

so lately i've been baking these cookies that i am known for in my neighborhood and suddenly they are coming out to be crispy crunchy instead of the normally chewy cookies they are know to be. could the hot/humid weather affect the texture of cookies? the recipe has all of 6 ingredients that have not changed except for one thing... but i have produced the correctly textured cookie using thïs method before.

the recipe has 2c ap flour, 1c sugar, 2T cornsyrup, 1c butter, 0.5 tsp bs and 2T vanilla sugar. i cream the butter and sugar together with the cornsyrup then add the remaining sifted ingredients. i ran out of the original vanilla sugar that came from a box (ingredients conf sugar, cornstarch & vanillin) but substituted 10x that has had vanilla beans sitting in it. i paid particular attention to whether i mixed it longer or shorter amount of time... it seemed the same. but it has been gross (hot & humid) outside and i don't have the ac in the kitchen. could this be the problem? any suggestions as to how to fix it?

This warm weather has been a bit of a pain. we don't bake cookies where i work now, but in weather like this i've noticed that when the kitchen is warmer, the flour and sugar usually are too. A warmer cookie dough might spread more than usual, given the same cooking time and temp, and become a bit thinner and crispier. If this is a posibility you can always throw them in the fridge for 30 before you bake them. Hope this helps.

...and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce it tastes alot more like prunes than rhubarb does. groucho

Do you have an oven thermometer? Are you sure the heat in your oven is constant?

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

something else u may want to do when storing ur cookies is place them in an airtight container and u can add either an apple or a slice of bread in the container along with the cookies....im not real sure why these two methods keep cookies chewy but for some reason they do...and that secret was passed on to me by both of my grandmothers....works liek a charm regardless of the weather....its never failed me yet...just make sure to change out the apple or the bread (depending on which is used) as the apple can wrinkle and the bread can dry out and trust me u dont want that mixed with ur cookies.....lol

a recipe is merely a suggestion

the oven temp is constant... i just got a new oven that i don't have to play with to keep the proper temp or light the burners with a match! :blink:

maybe i'll try refrigerating the dough beforehand. these cookies normally spread but they seem a little fluffier, but i could be imagining things.

the apple trick does work i've used it before although the hubby looked at me crazy the last time i did it.

thanks guys

Just a thought. Did the problem with the cookies start with the arrival of the new oven. Perhaps the new oven, with a consistent source of heat, is responsible for drying out the cookies. You might try lowering the temp by 25 degrees and or shorten the baking time.

Fred Rowe