• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reviews on North American Lobster Company

irongut

My information about this place is that it's absolutely AWFUL. It's also been on the Record Health Check page more than once. There are a lot of much better choices in the area. Stay away from this place.

Stay away from this place.

Since the new owners took over about two years ago, it has taken at turn for the worse. Last summer, I made two visits to purchase fish, and walked out, emptyhanded, both times. The sight and smell of old fish was not appealing.

Horrible, no question about it. The last time I went there with my wife we both had different dishes that were unacceptable and let the management know it! My snow crab legs were so dried out and overcooked it was a sin to even present them. Her lobster was edible, but had an odor and slight flavor that made you wonder what was in the water they boiled and/or steamed the crustacean in!! We only paid for our soup that evening and vowed never to return. I suggest you visit another place for quality seafood. Perhaps Legal Seafood, further up on 17 at the Garden State Plaza Mall. Prices will be far greater but the quality is unmistakably superior.

Nutley Resident

-------------------------

Proud to be American

Proud to be a Nutley Township Resident

They changed hands & got worse?

I stopped going there almost 10 years ago after 2 meals of severely overcooked fish.

Try Park & Orchard, in the same neighborhood, for a better meal - one block W of rt. 17 on the road that runs parallel, just drive south & keep looking to your left till you see it.

They do nice grilled tuna / swordfish steaks & such. And HUGE portions, you're guaranteed to walk away with a meal for the following night.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 1 year later...

The following should not reflect on the current state of the restaurant, but I went there about nine years ago and my bread was like a brick. I couldn't break it apart with my hands. I was afraid to try with my teeth. A knife wouldn't go through it.

When I told the waiter, he took the bread and slammed it against the edge of the table four times before a piece broke off. Then said, "See? I did it."

I was stunned, but I was too young and had been to too few restaurants at that point in my life to know that I should've got up and left right then and there.

Otherwise the food was good.

With such bad reaction here, I wonder how they've been around so long. But I must admit, I drive by a lot, and it's an appetizing name in a prominent spot.

~ Ken P.

I've never been to the restaurant, but I did like the fish market itself ----- when it was in its heyday -- years ago. Both the Rt 17 and Rt 46 places had lines of people, but they moved fast as there was so much help. The fish and shellfish was great, fresh because of the big turnover, more variety that you could ever wish for, every weight of lobster possible and all kinds of salads, soups and breads. It was a pleasurable experience to go there. But now? fuhgeddaboutit!

I went there for lunch with a colleague about 2 years ago and vowed to never go back. :blink: The portions were generous but I've seen better shrimp in Nemo! If you want good tasting seafood if you want upscale I'd try something like "The restaurant" in that area or Sea shack (I liked seashack but forget why I wasn't overjoyed with it...) -shrug- or for family or middle of the road legal seafood or maybe that new chain by outback - i forget the name but I think it's in secaucus nj. or for low end something like Red Lobster or a local diner like coach house.

Either way good luck and remember only you can prevent forest fires. :raz:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Also, Seafood Gourmet in Maywood is now expanding and their wonderfully prepared super-fresh fish will now be served in a restaurant area as well. They only have 3 tables now, but soon they will have 15. Perhaps someone here knows the timetable.

We have discussed Seafood Gourmet before, and, aside from having great seafood, the only criticism someone had was that the place was TOO clean!! :hmmm:

If you're just looking to buy seafoood in this area (vs looking for a seafood restaurant) check out the "Farm Market" up on top of the hill in Hasbrouck Heights. It's also on Rte 17 South about 1 - 1.5 miles before North American Seafood - next to a restaurant bar called the Crow's Nest.

It looks like a standard North Jersey "farm market" or produce joint but they have a terrific fish market inside. I have a friend whose Brazilian wife cooks seafood at home 4 - 5 times per week and she swears by the place.