• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktail Tour, Penn Quarter

Malawry

So I met with Hillvalley, Babka and Mrs. Busboy tonight for a little cocktail tour of the Penn Quarter area.

Wackiness ensued.

No, really, I had a great time even if I am still feeling a little "fifthy" (as I used to say in high school). And it's great fun being bad on a weeknight with your girlfriends.

We started off at Cafe Atlantico. The original plan was to vet some mojitos for Monica Bhide, but, well, you know, not everybody has them. Atlantico definitely does, though. The conscientious bartender told me they sell around 250 mojitos on a busy night. We accounted for three of them tonight, plus we ordered a caipirinha for comparison. The drinks didn't disappoint--I love the tart tang of lime and cachaca in the Atlantico caipirinha, and we all know about the famous sugarcane stick and refreshing coldness of their mojitos. We were not disappointed. We did the Washingtonian thing of talking politics, and enjoyed one lady's tale of trying to sell sugarcane instead of lemonade at a childhood stand.

Babka asked if we could order the conch fritters (hmmm, CAN WE?). They conveniently arrived in a quantity of four--accompanied by four jicama-avocado raviolis. The fritters were creamy and gooshy and sealike inside the crisp exterior, and the raviolis were those classic Jose Andres pillows of thin crisp jicama with a guacamole-like creamy filling. Did not suck. Hillvalley wondered aloud if we could go hang around the Minibar and scam peoples' leftovers. But we had other fish to fry, and Babka needed to take off to meet some other friends, so we slurped down the rest of our cocktails and headed off to our second destination.

It took us a few minutes to figure out how to get into Poste (the entrance I'd used the one other time I'd been there was no longer open), but once we did we managed to nab this really cool booth with v-e-r-y high banquettes near the bar. We felt like we needed cigarettes with holders or something, it seemed very chic yet friendly. Our server was a great help--he had an infectious smile. I had a hard time selecting a beverage (Poste was out of mint and therefore couldn't make mojitos), but eventually settled on the special cocktail of the day: a watermelon martini with fresh melon (and NO Midori, thank God). Mrs. Busboy had a respectable Sidecar, complete with turbinado-sugared rim. And we shared some olives with preserved lemon (all green, all delicious) and a cone of parmesaned-truffled frites (quite excellent, and Hillvalley said the ketchup tasted homemade). By the time we'd finished tipping back our drinks and munching our snacks we were feeling quite happy, but there was no time to settle in--we wanted to explore more bars.

So on we toddled to Zola across the street. Their bar was pretty packed by the time we showed up, and they were playing some kind of quasi-hipster house music with a heavy bass beat. We had a hard time finding a place to stand, and despite an interesting mojitolike drink on their cocktail menu we decided to move on to a mutual favorite, Matchbox, for our next drink.

Matchbox made Zola look like FBIHQ on a Sunday afternoon, but the crowd was jovial and we're always interested in those house-made infusions. Besides, they have miniburgers! I knocked back a ginger martini with pineapple-rum infusion and we chowed down on those crispy onions that come with the yummy burgers. Despite some jostling we managed to have a good time there, and by this point we all felt like best friends. (Doesn't that always happen when you go drinking with the Girls Club?) Next time I want to get there earlier for their excellent happy hour, when those infused vodkas are stirred into budget-friendly martinis and whatnot.

All in all, a fun night. :wub:

Uh, I'm just getting home. We left Malawry about 3 hours ago. So much for writing papers this evening.

Mrs. B convinced me to stop in and say hello to Derek and his sidecars on our way home. He made us a new drink he is working on. Basically it was adult lemonade with aquavit and other stuff. It was amazing and I am trying to convince Derek to put it on the menu. It has a real name, but there is no way I can remember such a thing.

Ms. B (you need to pick one Mrs./Ms. B!) also had another Derek specialty, an expresso martini. That was also amazing, but would have kept me awake until Friday! I had a glass of a sweet wine, but have no clue what kind. All I know is it was great.

Um, the fries at Poste are unbelievable. Not quiet enough Parm for me, but still unbelievable. I will go back just for the cone o' fries. The watermelon martini was okay, but not worth the return trip alone. Mrs. B's sidecar was good, but not as good as Derek's.

Yes, Mal, we definitely have to get to Matchbox earlier, so we can get seats and you won't have a shower. Their Mango drink thingy is still fantastic. I still want cheese on my hamburgers though,

It was an excellent evening. I can't wait until next month, assuming I am sober by then :biggrin:

ps, anyone want to write a paper about the importance of the Parent/Teacher relationship in the special ed classroom for me?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I can't believe you guys went on to Palena afterwards. I am simultaneouslty impressed and jealous--I've been outclassed. :biggrin:

Sorry, can't help with your paper.

Hey -- she told me she was going to be watching educational TV with the kids all night!

She was. In was an informative documentary on the history of alcohol. Your offspring will be fantastic drinkers now. :biggrin:

Hey -- she told me she was going to be watching educational TV with the kids all night!

She was. In was an informative documentary on the history of alcohol. Your offspring will be fantastic drinkers now. :biggrin:

Was there any question about that outcome? :laugh:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Hey Busboy, your wife promised me pics of the rowers, swimmers and divers.

And I'm not talking about the women's team:biggrin:

Despite your wildest fantasies, this was a GIRLS NIGHT OUT. No boys involved!

Busboy, the TV was on in every bar we visited. Does that count?

Misandrists! :wink:

That sounds like a lot of fun. I DO need to get back up to DC, even if forced to wear a skirt to join in GIRLS NIGHT OUT. C'mon, you always need a token male, don't you????

I'd pick up the tab at the first place we go if I can see Varmint in a skirt.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Misandrists!  :wink:

That sounds like a lot of fun.  I DO need to get back up to DC, even if forced to wear a skirt to join in GIRLS NIGHT OUT.  C'mon, you always need a token male, don't you????

I'd pick up the tab at the first place we go if I can see Varmint in a skirt.

My thoughts exactly. :laugh:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Misandrists! :wink:

That sounds like a lot of fun. I DO need to get back up to DC, even if forced to wear a skirt to join in GIRLS NIGHT OUT. C'mon, you always need a token male, don't you????

uhhhhh, no we don't need a token male.

but since you're offering to wear a skirt we will take it into consideration :hmmm:

and turtle, you wish you could see the pictures

I dunno, I think males might be included on a case-by-case basis IF they wear a skirt and buy us a round of drinks, and apply in advance for vetting.

(I say this only 'cause I am deeply fond of Varmint, FWIW. And yes, it has been way too long since he stopped by these parts--though I did enjoy seeing the lovely and talented Dr. Mrs. Varmint several months ago.)

I dunno, I think males might be included on a case-by-case basis IF they wear a skirt and buy us a round of drinks, and apply in advance for vetting.

(I say this only 'cause I am deeply fond of Varmint, FWIW. And yes, it has been way too long since he stopped by these parts--though I did enjoy seeing the lovely and talented Dr. Mrs. Varmint several months ago.)

Don't forget an order or two of the conch fritters!

So what kind of skirt are we talking here? Long and flowy, leather, mini, jean?

Definately need to be vetted. We have strict requirements :biggrin:

Hey Busboy, your wife promised me pics of the rowers, swimmers and divers.

And I'm not talking about the women's team:biggrin:

Crashing the training sites is a high priority, but until then I recommend the Sports Illustrated website.

I might be able to get you a couple of shots of hunky Greek cops in black cargo pants and tight black t-shirts, accessorized by berets and automatic weapons. My friend Ionnakis is dying to get picked up for a security violation and frisked...

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

See, I think the girls have it right: eating is allowed at a "boys/girls night out," but drinking should be the focus. And nothing too grown-up either -- no single-malt scotch tastings (you can drink it, but you can't "taste" it); knocking back a few martinis or draft beers is definitely the way to go.

Of copurse, I may be terminally immature.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

See, I think the girls have it right: eating is allowed at a "boys/girls night out," but drinking should be the focus. And nothing too grown-up either -- no single-malt scotch tastings (you can drink it, but you can't "taste" it); knocking back a few martinis or draft beers is definitely the way to go.

Of copurse, I may be terminally immature.

Busboy, you're not paying close enough attention. Al Dente will understand.