• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restos Near Gare du Nord

rpdkpd

Three youg graduate student friends are taking a day trip from London to Paris and back in mid-August. Aside from the fact that Paris empties during that period, any advice on where they could get a low to mid price point dinner around the Gare du Nord, on the early side before they take the late train back to London? I have enjoyed Chez Michel, but I believe that it is outside their price range. Thanks!

Thierry Breton's (of Chez Michel) 2nd is next door - it's Chez Casimir, 6 rue Belzunce, in the 10th, 01.48.78.28.80 and despite the defection of Phillipe Tredgeu to L'Entredgeu its prices are much less than at the Mother Ship. Check exact dates because it's closed 3 weeks in August.

Also directly across from le Gare du Nord is a Brasserie, le Terminus-Nord, 23, rue de Dunkerque, 10th, 01.42.85.05.15 open all days, all year which is a tad better than the rest of the Flo group.

I've eaten at both in the past year and would return if proximity to the station were a priority.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Also directly across from le Gare du Nord is a Brasserie, le Terminus-Nord, 23, rue de Dunkerque, 10th, 01.42.85.05.15 open all days, all year which is a tad better than the rest of the Flo group.

I'd hesitated to mention Terminus Nord but yes, you can tailor your menu to your wallet. But if time permits, I'd still opt for Chartier for a unique but economical experience on a one-day trip. It's definitely a "foreign country"!

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

I'd second Chartier - good fun and decent, reasonably priced food (can't remember what I had, but it was offal of some description) - and wine (by the pichet).

PS

Edinburgh

you know, there is a little bar-resto that i like, jam packed with atmosphere of the dissappearing sort, ie time warp in just the parisian way you want it. its dirt cheap as i remember it too. ducky things, maybe a steak-frites, but i think dessert was even less than ho hum, ie the old creme caramel number........etc.

whenever i pass i always want to go in and eat, last time we were there we just missed the serving (i think its just the owner who does it all).......very simple, funky, cheap, delightful...........but lets see, as to the name and address: it has le patron in its name, maybe chez le patron? or simply bistro le patron? and its on either rue de st quentin, or more likely, and i am almost sure, rue faugbourg st denis.

and its about a 6 minute walk (for me, i'm slow) or less to the station afterwards.

terminus nord is great, but the price can add us as stated previously. but i have a further warning: don't get the choucroute which is deliicous, wonderful, a must if you like choucroute, anyhow don't get the choucroute before your eurostar ride if you have a tendency towards motion sickness. choucroute and 270 mph don't mix well (or is it kph?)

bon appetit, and bon voyage,

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com