• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zürich

I find myself in the unusual position of having a free day in Zürich during an upcoming business trip.

Any thoughts on interesting food related shops, restaurants or places to see, taste or do?

I will have my share of fine dining with colleagues and clients, so I probably interested in more casual restaurants that focus on local specialties.

Places I have good things about:

Schober Café

Johann-Jacobs Kaffee Museum (Owen, this is your kind of museum)

Confiserie Teuscher

Sprüngli

Chäs Vreneli AG

Zeughauskeller

My recommendations:

- "Restaurant Alpenrose" for modern-traditional dishes, run by youngsters.

- "Restaurant Hirschberg" for semi-traditional food.

- "Zeughauskeller" is a big, crowded, popular eatery with great sausages, rösti and similar. Immaculate service., moderate prices

- "Hinterer Sternen" at the Bellevue place for a perfect "Bratwurst"-sausage with a traditional piece of bread and a beer.

- "Grossmünster" church to climb the tower. Spectacular view. all over the town and the lake.

- the nearby "Bodega Espagnola" for some simple tapas and an afternoon beer after the climb. Interior pracitcally unchanged since 1880.

- "Kropf". Established around 1900 when Bavarian "beer houses" got popular in Zürich.

- "Sprüngli" for some of the best pralinées avalaible iin this world. Try "truffe du jour".

- "Petermanns Kunststuben" for high end, expensive star rated dining.

- "Kronenhalle". Expensive. Good food only, but great art at the walls.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

• 3 weeks later...