• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Punjabi Cookbooks

Isnt Julie Sahni a punj ?

Her last name sounds very Punjabi. I believe she is from Tamil Nadu. Her book Indian Regional Classics is dedicated to her father Dr. Venkataraman Raghunathan Iyer.

Ammini

Yes, she's a Tamil, but she was raised in Delhi and Kanpur. Her husband was a Punjabi...hence the name...

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

Most of the more extensive Indian cookbooks have plenty of Punjabi recipes. Neelam Batra's do contain quite a bit. If you took all the Punjabi recipes out of "1000 Indian Recipes" you would have enough for a whole cookbook!

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

don't have this one yet but 'classic cooking of punjab' by jiggs kalra and pushpesh pant is on my list.

I did not know he did that one. I have his Prasad and love it and am waiting to get some others I ordered. If you find this do let me know.. i think I will order it as well

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

• 2 months later...

simple punjabi home cooking from a second-gen uk gal..."cooking like mummyji" by vicky bhogal.

i'm a punju raised in india and living in the us now and feel that her book comes closest to punju home cooking outside india.

warning though...does not include chicken tikka masala recipe

sonya

The Indian Epicure, Classic Recipes from North India by Meera Taneja (Mills & Boon Ltd, no copyright listed, ISBN 0 263 06403 4). Can't vouch for the accuracy of the back cover blub ("this comprehensive and authorative collection of Punjabi recipes") but have had good success with the mostly home-style recipes. No hand-holding and, a short lexicon aside, little concession to non-Indians, so probably not a good book for absolute beginners. It appears to be out of print but perhaps you could find a used or remaindered copy.

simple punjabi home cooking from a second-gen uk gal..."cooking like mummyji" by vicky bhogal.

i'm a punju raised in india and living in the us now and feel that her book comes closest to punju home cooking outside india.

warning though...does not include chicken tikka masala recipe

sonya

SOnya - Welcome to the India forum. Glad you could join us. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice