• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Hands-On" Dinner Party Revisited

Varmint

Over the last several summers, I've put on an event for the summer clerks in my law firm to attend. The event involves getting the clerks together with a bunch of lawyers who all cook together, making a multi-course meal. I buy the ingredients, the wine, and do much of the prep work. The clerks and other lawyers complete the dishes and then plate and serve them. I provide general oversight, but not much more. This results in a great opportunity for folks to interact at a different level than what they would in a typical dinner party.

I have always done dinners focusing on Italian cuisine (Click here for a thread about these dinners), but I'd like to consider other cuisines or themes.

The important thing here is that the dishes need to be prepared in a fairly short amount of time. No slow roasting here. I can make components ahead of time, but we don't have enough time to do anything that'll take a ton of time. The guests will arrive around 6, and the dinners usually end around 11.

So, help me out here. Give me some ideas for cuisines or themes, preferably where wine will be an important aspect.

Edit to add: Of course, I should just invite Mayhaw Man and his bride up to teach us all about Cajun cooking! The date is June 4, if you need to plan things, Brooks. :wink:

Edited by Varmint (log)

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

How 'bout a Japanese "roll-your-own" (sushi) party and have shabu-shabu and gyoza and other hands on foods? You could do a sake tasting as well.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Shish kebob is always easy to assemble & cook. People can make their skewers to their own liking, too. Set up bowls of ingredients and let them have at it.

edited to add: I guess this would lean towards a Mediterranean theme (regarding your original question). We have a restaurant here in town that serves dishes from countries all around the Mediterranean. You could still have your Italian dishes (seafood pasta), but could also do some Greek (bring on the flaming cheese!), some French (Bouillabaisse), some Moroccan (something with a nice Chermoula), etc. This would also expand the selection of wines you could offer, too.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

One of the things I'm trying to accomplish is to teach folks some new things, plus I want it to come off as fairly extravagant. Here are my menus from the past few years to give you an idea of the food:

Antipasti

Pizze Siciliane

(Sicilian Style Pizza with Various Toppings)

Insalata

Insalata Verde con Gamberi e Pompelmo

(Green Salad with Shrimp and Grapefruit)

Primo

Arancine con Ragu di Funghi

(Rice Ball Croquettes Stuffed with Smoked Mozzarella and Served with a Porcini Mushroom Ragout)

Pasta

Pasta con Pesci Spada, Melanzana e Menta

(Spaghetti with Swordfish, Eggplant, and Mint)

Secondo

Filetto di Bue all Moda e Zucchine Ripiene

(Beef Tenderloin with White Wine and Marsala, Served with Baked Stuffed Zucchini)

Dolce

Torta di Frutte di Bosco con Gelato di Limone

(Mixed Berry Tart with Lemon Gelato)

Antipasti

White Bean, Tomato & Basil Bruschetta

Smoked and Fresh Mozzarella and Pesto Bruschetta

Vino Rosso: N.V. Tre Uve

Vino Bianco: 2001 Bidoli Pinot Grigio

Insalata

Mixed Green Salad with Marinated Goat Cheese, Caramelized Onions and Cracklings of Prosciutto di Parma

2000 Tiamo Pinot Grigio/Garganega

Primi

Shrimp-Filled Mushroom Caps with a Shallot & Balsamic Vinegar Reduction

1998 Vietti Dolcetto D’Alba

Secondi

Slow Roasted Copper River Salmon with Chianti Risotto and Braised Baby Spinach

1997 Sensi Chianti Riserva

Dolci

Ciambela with Minted Berry Compote

N.V. Stefano Farina Bianco Della Rosa

ANTIPASTI

Prosciutto di Parma with Local Melon

Beef Carpaccio with Lemon, Capers and Parmigiano-Reggiano

1995 Melini Chianti Classico Riserva (Tuscany)

1999 Leverano Rosato (Apulia)

PRIMI

Sun-Dried Tomato Risotto with Grilled Prawns

1998 Pescorari Pinot Grigio (Friuli)

SECONDI

Roasted Breast of Muscovy Duck with Wild Mushroom, Arugula and Chianti Ragout

Soft Polenta with Pecorino Romano and Chives

1995 Fontanavecchia Aglianico del Taburno Riserva (Basilicata)

INSALATA

Mixed Greens with Fennel, Gorgonzola, and Fig Balsamic Vinaigrette

1998 Borgo Sauvignon blanc (Friuli)

DOLCI

Fresh Fruit Crostata with Whipped Lemon Marscapone

NV Mondoro Asti (Piedmont)

2000 -- I don't have a wine listing

ANTIPASTI

Rosemary and Cheese Focaccia

Herbed Cannelini Bean Puree’

Antipasti Selection of Vegetables, Cured Sausage and Salami, and Olives

INSALATA

Seared Sea Scallop Salad with roasted Tomato & Garlic Vinaigrette

PRIMI

Homemade Tagliatelle with Wild Mushroom, Pancetta & White Truffle Oil

SECONDI

Swordfish Sardinian Style

Spinach, Escarole and Basil Saute with Toasted Pine Nuts and Garlic

DOLCI

Florentine Schiacciata with Crema Pasticcera and Blood Orange Gelato

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

How 'bout a Japanese "roll-your-own" (sushi) party and have shabu-shabu and gyoza and other hands on foods? You could do a sake tasting as well.

That is similar to what I was going to suggest - but was going to add the Okonomiyaki idea to it as well... You make the batter and have tons of ingredients at hand, and let the griddling begin!

Both would be perfect for summer as the sushi would be cold and the okonomiyaki hot - and could satisfy both carnivores and vegetarians alike!

Edit to add: Of course, I should just invite Mayhaw Man and his bride up to teach us all about Cajun cooking! The date is June 4, if you need to plan things, Brooks. :wink:

I am having trouble typing I am laughing so hard.

I am not sure if it is the reference to me or the thought on the number of releases that must be required to have a room full of drunken lawyers with knives, fire, and any number of blunt objects and a bunch of terrified interns cowering in the corner. :wink::laugh:

Actually that sounds like fun, but I am taking so much vacation in July (fishing in Canada and North Louisiana) and August (camping in Baja and a few days in Austin at Pedernales Falls (with a side to Schlitterbahn to keep the boys in line :wink: ) that I am not going to be going much of anywhere except work, home, and the Gulf to catch a trout or two when I can get away.

It would be fun though.

I like the Sushi idea. You could do a whole Japanese thing. Tempura, sushi assortments with really top notch ingredients, shabu-shabu, grilled meats-the whole deal. You could offer a permanent position after law school to the intern who could eat (and hold down :raz: ) the most natto.

Not sure how that would work with the wine requirement, though :wacko: Katie might be right about the Sake tasting and just for grins, you could probably get a few of the Japanese scotches (some of which are suprisingly good, if I my memory serves.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

How 'bout a Japanese "roll-your-own" (sushi) party and have shabu-shabu and gyoza and other hands on foods?  You could do a sake tasting as well.

That is similar to what I was going to suggest - but was going to add the Okonomiyaki idea to it as well... You make the batter and have tons of ingredients at hand, and let the griddling begin!

Both would be perfect for summer as the sushi would be cold and the okonomiyaki hot - and could satisfy both carnivores and vegetarians alike!

Of course, I'd have to learn how to do all this stuff first! Asian cooking isn't something I do frequently, and I rarely do it well.

This is great; keep the suggestions coming!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Hell, you could fry stuff! Can't go wrong with that. Something to love for everyone!

Although the wine thing would be leaning heavily towards whites, served pretty chilled- so that would be kind of a problem.

Helpful Frying Party Tips Here

How about a couple different paellas? One Valenciana style, one "traditional style" (with rabbit and snails - no seafood), and perhaps even one that's vegetarian. Paella lends itself well to having lots of precut ready to assemble ingredients, seems to impress people and is fairly easy to make provided one keeps the rice layer thin, browns the rice and is careful with the liquids.

I'm in a sort of informal cooking club; we did small empanadas (actually pupusas)at one gathering. Four different fillings were premade and ready when we arrived and there were two different doughs - oen wheat flour based and the other form cornmeal. Rolling/stretching the dough and stuffing were handled at the table where we gathered to drink and converse and two peopl manned the fryer in the kitchen.

Don't know if this is the flavor you are looking for, but I've always wanted to have a tamale making party.

Could do at least some of the prep for the fillings before hand. Same with salsas--people could make some uncooked salsas; maybe have cooked ones made ahead.

While the tamales are steaming, have Mexican Chicken Soup which are garnished with a whole variety of different condiments--fresh lime, guacamole, radishes, cheese, cilantro, etc. so that people can customize.

An easy salad/ appetizer to make is sliced jicama, cucumber, orange salad with lime juice and cayenne.

For dessert can have 'make your own' cajeta (goat milk caramel--delcious) sundaes with choice of ice cream/toppings. Else can bake a cake ahead of time for Tres Leches Cake--have the 'cooks' do the final assembly and let it 'ripen in fridge for a few hrs.

Lots of good ideas for other side dishes in Rick Bayless', Mexico, One Plate at a Time and Mexican Kitchen.

More likely drinks would be an array of Mexican Beers. A unique drink would be a Sangrita Cocktail made with tequila, red chile, tomato juice, orange juice and lime.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Dean:

Do I get invited to the party if I make the winning suggestion? :biggrin:

I think the Japanese thing has a lot of potential. Making dumplings, rolling sushi, shabu-shabu, tempura, there's plenty of hands-on possibilities.

Please let me know if I can help with wine suggestions or enlist a good friend who's a sake aficionado for beverage advice should this be the winning entry into the Hands-On Sweepstakes.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

The previous menus sound exquisite!!! My only suggestions might be a French-inspired bistro menu - certainly plenty of wine choices there - or Scandonavian-inspired ala Marcus Samuelson. Be sure to let us know what you decide.

Stop Family Violence

A Gulf Menu

Amusee

Bacon Wrapped Oysters

Seared Scallops with wasabe dressing

Salad

West Indies Salad

Apps

Oyster Patties (oysters in pastry shells)

Marinated Crab Claws

Small Crawfish Pies

Tuna Sashimi (you pick the cut-I like the fatty stuff)

Soup

Seafood Gumbo (the whole works-not cheap, but really fun to make and delicious)

Crawfish Bisque

Mains

(Pick one or two

Grilled, skin on, bbq'd red fish

Marinated Grilled Lemon Fish

Smoked Softshells (water smoked on a high heat to cook fast)

Garlic Sauteed Shrimp on angel hair

Crab Stuffed Shrimp (an overkill everytime-but delicious)

Seared Skirt Steak with Marchand de Vin Sauce (if ya gotta have meat)

Dessert

Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce

Peach Sorbet

Blackberry Cobbler

Pralines

After Dinner

Cafe Brulot (the full monty version-you will need to practice beforehand :shock: )

A decent rum to accompany the cigars

And some cigars to go with the rum (scroll down a bit)

There you go. I can provide all of the recipes if you wish, along with cooking intructions, although I think most of this would not be too much of a stretch. I can also help out with seafood acquisition if needed. Virtually all of this stuff could be cooked the day of with little prep (although the crab claws are better if they sit overnight)

Katie can help out with the wine. All you gotta do is cook

I will now return me to my regularly scheduled program of semi helpful, smart ass comments :raz::laugh:

I was going to suggest the Mexican theme but ludja beat me to it. When a bunch of us get together for a cooking party this is one of the favorites. It is diverse enough to satisfy many tastes, including vegetarian if you have any of those in the group. There are opportunities to make things ahead (shrimp enescabeche) or have them do it (salsas). There are also opportunities for lots of different cooking techniques (grilling, frying). We like to serve sangria and usually make more than one type, including one with white wine. I would also recommend Bayless.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Hell, I may as well just lock this thread now! :wink:  Those are awesome suggestions, Brooks.  Damn.

Query: What do we do for the landlubbers?

I have edited the above menu to allow for the oyster challenged and those who must have meat ( I can understand the meat thing-we have sharp highly developed teeth and are genetically designed to eat tear and chew flesh with our teeth. Otherwise we would have big old flat teeth like cows and chew a cud). :wink:

I also added an after dinner section. Cafe Brulot would be fun and would give you the opportunity to play with fire and knives to end the evening. :shock::raz:

If I can help you out let me know.

Brooks

I do like the Japanese idea, but some more occidental suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

And Katie, "Dwean"????

Only one cylinder fires at a time. If I'm coming up with brilliant ideas the spelling abilities are stunted. :raz:

I fixed it... :blush:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

We actually did an unofficial eGullet get-together featuring Mexican food back in November.  It was quite successful.  Go towards the end of this thread for some pictures.

Wow that looks incredible! Now I feel silly with my suggestion. :smile: I see we get plenty of mutual inspiration from the Bayless books though!

The pumpkin fritters with goat milk ice cream, spiced peptitas and cajeta sounds and looks particularly wonderful.

Another mediterranean idea that wouldl also be a good showcase for sherry and wine pairing could be a tapas evening...

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Varmint, it occurs to me that this might make an interesting party blog. Amateurs, seafood, knives, drinking, fire--I'd watch it if it were on TV and nothing else was on. :laugh:

How about Indian? I don't know anything about Indian libations, but the folks over on the Indian forum could help you out there.

You could do parathas (stuffed griddle bread), which are great fun to roll out and fill.

Or, Thai is great if you're looking for a different Asian-themed menu.

Don't have any of my cookbooks here, but I could probably come up with complete menus if either sounds intriguing.

Indian is something I've never tried to make myself, so I wouldn't be at all comfortable trying it on guests. Right now, I'm really favoring Mayhaw's idea. It's just a matter of working out the details!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Of course, I'd have to learn how to do all this stuff first! Asian cooking isn't something I do frequently, and I rarely do it well.

This is great; keep the suggestions coming!

This is where Klink gets invited!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I think if you go in the Mayhaw Man direction you should do a showier New Orleans-style dessert...bananas foster come to mind instantly. Though the Cafe Brulot sorta adds the same kind of theatre.

I do not recommend alligator on a stick if you are going with this theme. :rolleyes: